Game Day Thread: Election 2016

KD in CA

People are giving Trump far too much credit for being able to do what he wants. If Obama couldn't pass the health care bill he wanted, at the height of his popularity and with both houses of Congress in his pocket, what makes people think Trump will, when he doesn't even have his own party's support?

1 obvious caveat you are missing:

Trump isn't trying to sell a bunch of blue dog Democrats on a bill/concept that didn't pass the smell test. Thanks to Obama, what the Blue Dog Democrats did agree to...is why they are all "spending more time with their family" today, and have been replaced by Rs who have promised to repeal Obamacare. These Rs made no specific promises about replacing it, so they are free to do anything.

The special session of Congress Trump promised is going to happen very quickly. IMHO, too quickly. In fact, I think they really need to work out a good replacement, and put fixing the problem first. IF they do that, they should get some Ds to vote for it, which significantly reduces the replacement plan's political football status.

No Rs ever voted for Obamacare, which made it a total albatross.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I think, from now on, while Trump’s president, I'm calling the White House the "Execrative Office."

And although I'll smile every time you do, I won't take one iota of credit. Besides, I'm sure it'll be quite appropriate.

Want a few laughs, turn on NBC TV now. They are melting down.

Still too early. Does nobody remember 2000?

Yup, and good. If the early Facebook returns are any indication, they remain too arrogant to learn anything.

Yep.

If anything, like Tapper? said tonight: it's the Ds who are going to have the bloodletting, and the backstabbing. But, I said this a long time ago: the R civil war was a good thing, because it forced them to be introspective, and to really think about what they were for, besides, gaining control of the House/Senate as a check on Obama. Cruz(or Christie, or somebody else) could have won tonight, if they had the same message/policy as Trump.

That's what the Ds will refuse to learn: nobody likes what they are selling, because it's the same old stale schit they've been selling for 60+ years. Hell you could even say 100, with Wilson's world-government views.

I honestly do not expect them to learn a damn thing from tonight. If anything, I expect them to learn what they know, that isn't so, even better. :lol: Also, I expect them to be uber-ironic: attack Wall Street...after Wall Street just paid millions to elect their candidate.

Now I'm watching Chris Matthews fighting with Rachel Maddow (girl on girl fight!). Maddow says Trump used a dog whistle to bring out the whites to overtake the black folk. Maddow is complete denial about everything.

But surprisingly, Chris Matthews recognizes the weakness of a Hillary candidacy while Maddow is doing the Clinton muffdive. Gotta hand it to Tingles for being straight up.

Dow futures (tomorrow's projected open) down 650-700 points

Awesome. Can't wait to buy in the morning. :thumbsup:

Kudos for showing up Bob. Most of your ilk are curled up in the corner right now totally bewildered at what has transpired.

p.s. NYT just called PA.

Awesome. Can't wait to buy in the morning. :thumbsup:

Kudos for showing up Bob. Most of your ilk are curled up in the corner right now totally bewildered at what has transpired.

p.s. NYT just called PA.

What's awesome is I laid a good sized put on the S&P, and bought gold and Swiss Franc futures this morning.

I should have a lot more money to buy at the open.

Now I'm watching Chris Matthews fighting with Rachel Maddow (girl on girl fight!). Maddow says Trump used a dog whistle to bring out the whites to overtake the black folk. Maddow is complete denial about everything.

But surprisingly, Chris Matthews recognizes the weakness of a Hillary candidacy while Maddow is doing the Clinton muffdive. Gotta hand it to Tingles for being straight up.

They're just idiots caught on camera losing the contents of their bowels on television. They simply do not understand. Politicians rely on their celebrity to gain support from a politically oblivious public-at-large. Trump used his celebrity to elbow his way past some pretty damned qualified candidates, most of which I would have supported way before deciding to cast my vote for Trump. Once he gained the public's attention, all he had to do was beat Hillary and/or Bernie.

Frankly, I thought Hillary would win, but if it goes Trump's way after all, then I understand why. Matthews and Maddow are too partisan to actually report from the unbiased point of view that a reporter should have. This is just further proof of that.

I don't that she will ever give a real concession speech...............it's not in her.

She'll shuffle out and say a few vague words about waiting for "all the votes to come in" and leave it at that.

Of course my response is.....................WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE NOW?

:D

Well, I (kinda) called that..............

She couldn't come bring her self to speak....................sent out Podesta to tell them to go home.....no decision tonight :lol:

Favorite Twitter comment by far: This is what happens when Madonna promises to blow people.

That's fantastic. :lol:

Seriously, America? We're really going to do this? Really?

Why the hell not? The NFL sucks now, the Sabres aren't really going to be that good, what else do we have to do?

Predictability rather than gridlock. Trump administration is unpredictable, yes. How much of what he said will he actually get done?

No, the market loves gridlock. It's the most predictable thing of all. Nothing changes. I'm not sure how much will get done, but overhauling the tax code will. That's a good start.

Well, I (kinda) called that..............

She couldn't come bring her self to speak....................sent out Podesta to tell them to go home.....no decision tonight :lol:

But it was HER TURN!!!!!

Yes, I'm gloating. Own it, you spiteful B word.

AP calls election for Trump.

Really, America? We're going through with this?

"Oompa, loompa, doom-pa de doo

I''e got an Oval Office for you..."

But it was HER TURN!!!!!

Yes, I'm gloating. Own it, you spiteful B word.

You know, if it was almost anyone else I really wouldn't have cared, but this was pretty much on par with rooting against the Patriots in a Super Bowl. I've hated this woman for a quarter century and I'm going to see it through, dammit!

p.s. CNN reporting that Hillary has conceded to Trump.

Edited by KD in CA

You know, if it was almost anyone else I really wouldn't have cared, but this was pretty much on par with rooting against the Patriots in a Super Bowl.

Not just you, but lots of folks have treated this election like a ballgame, rooting for their team to win. There are pretty huge consequences to this game, unlike a Superbowl.

Obviously Trump wasn't my choice. I just hope my fear of a Trump presidency was misguided.

Congrats!

Not just you, but lots of folks have treated this election like a ballgame, rooting for their team to win. There are pretty huge consequences to this game, unlike a Superbowl.

Obviously Trump wasn't my choice. I just hope my fear of a Trump presidency was misguided.

Congrats!

Well, just look at the coverage tonight. The media treats it like a spectator sport. Were it up to me, results wouldn't be covered real-time.

And point of note: I had no "team" to root for in this "ballgame." Doesn't mean I can't savor Hillary's tears, though.

Congrats!

Yes there are, and some of us thought those consequences might be realized by the most blatantly corrupt politician since Nixon. Some of us couldn't ignore the way things as staggeringly corrupt as rigging an entire primary were simply swept under the rug. Some of us didn't buy into the media fueled bullsh-- about her opponent (though no, I didn't vote for him) and the narrative of how every woman and Hispanic was supposed to oppose him. And some of us are just sick of the avalanche of vile attacks against every non-left wing candidate that has been put forth for the past two decades. The same people who vilified Romney for (correctly) stating that 47% of Americans pay no federal income tax, this year thought it was just hysterical when Hillary called the same percentage of Americans "deplorable" -- go look up that word and explain to me how a Presidential candidate could use that term on her own people and how that was laughed off with the arrogance of a party who was oh so confident they'd be rolling over the little people on election day.

Maybe the left wing should wake up and realize they are the ones who have become the party of the wealthy elite (and a big % of the ignorant poor who still believe their lies) and their opponents have become the party of the working class. But probably not.

So forgive my sports metaphors, but try to understand why I and so many other despise your hand-picked candidate and all that her supporters had to say during the campaign.

As much as it pains me to say it OC was right- now republicans have to govern should be interesting.

I can teach you not to feel so much pain.

It started back in 2006, on this board, and elsewhere. New rule #1 for you guys: don't think being a D makes you smart. Being smart makes you smart. (See: Ezra Klein)

Don't think that doing the opposite of what somebody else tried = solution...because ???. (See: Iraq War, then, Escape From Iraq, then...ISIS). Understand that the wold functions on solutions, not methodology. I deal with this every day. Methodology '= silver bullet. More often than not methodology means: lazy thinking, or lack of thinking. Really? Methodology often leads to cliche, and cliche is the opposite of thought. Translated to poltiics: Your ideology should never restrict you from judging a proposed solution objectively, because "trickle down" this or "social justice" that. Next, start with a viable solution, then figure out who benefits, not the other way around.

You guys wouldn't have lost today without Obamacare. Now, consider: what if Ds in general had collectively spent just 1 day thinking critically about Obamacare? Each person, 24 hours.

You wouldn't be where you are. Failure to think critically is how you got here. Failure to think critically is how you will stay here.

My bet: I don't think critical thinking will replace your lazy thinking = name calling racist, sexist, homo/cis/zir----whatever, rather than actually having a better plan.

______

Also....some guy named Crapo won in Idaho.

That's when Ds know they are having a had night.

Edited by OCinBuffalo