Give Rex credit, the spike was brilliant

I gotta give Rex some credit. Just when I thought the Bills had to have Schmidt kick the FG with an unknown holder (who is the backup holder?), Rex says spike the ball to get Carp back on the field. As much as I berate the guy for melting down in critical situations, the spike was a brilliant call in the clutch. I didn't think of it. How many of you did? Well-played Rex Ryan!

If I remember right seeing it on TV, Rex was yelling at the refs and some assistant with a headset on ran up to him and said something and then he calmed down and got the spike to happen. Solid coaching teamwork is what it looked like to me.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The refs tried everything possible to keep points off the board there.

It worked after the first couple tries failed.

So true - did you notice it took 2 seconds to spike it?!?!?!?!

There were 3 secs on the clock, we spike it, and only 1 sec remained. I'm surprised they didn't tell us time expired!

Seems to me the spike took a fraction of a second - just sayin. It would have been wild had they said, "No time left!"

Apparently the spike wasn't even legal but they allowed it given the circumstances. Or the refs didn't know it wasn't legal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/09/buffalos-spike-didnt-fit-within-the-rules-but-officials-allowed-it-given-the-circumstances/

I disagree with Florio's take. He's making stuff up and interpreting the rule in a way that may well not be correct.

Would not the game clock start running immediately upon the snap of the ball, at least in theory? Would not the spike stop that clock from running? How do you interpret the "stop the game clock" wording in the rule.

Who knows! This isn't law, this is NFL Mickey Mouse Law.

Item 3. Stopping Clock. A player under center is permitted to stop the game clock legally to save time if, immediately upon receiving the snap, he begins a continuous throwing motion and throws the ball directly into the ground.

Edited by Fadingpain

Apparently the spike wasn't even legal but they allowed it given the circumstances. Or the refs didn't know it wasn't legal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/09/buffalos-spike-didnt-fit-within-the-rules-but-officials-allowed-it-given-the-circumstances/

Florio's an idiot. The clock in fact began running at the moment the ball was stopped to Williams, so his conduct in immediately spiking the ball meets the requirements of the rule.

Never thought of that either.

Cant remember ever seeing a flag for it, but one of the only reasons to do it would be to skirt the injury rule.

I gotta give Rex some credit. Just when I thought the Bills had to have Schmidt kick the FG with an unknown holder (who is the backup holder?), Rex says spike the ball to get Carp back on the field. As much as I berate the guy for melting down in critical situations, the spike was a brilliant call in the clutch. I didn't think of it. How many of you did? Well-played Rex Ryan!

That was a great idea. I was too busy cursing out the refs for screwing us out of 3 points which would later be a big reason we didnt go into overtime with a chance to win, to enjoy it. I do tip my hat tho.