Why do winners win and losers lose?

I mentioned this in a post a few weeks ago, it's literally 2-5 plays in a game what substitutes winning and losing in the NFL. Last night was obviously seattle stopping the bills at the end. There is no magic winning team in the NFL. If if you have 5 or more costly mistakes than `the other team, there is a good chance you will lose no matter how bad the team your playing is

As Belichick has said "The vast majority of games are lost, not won." The mentality of being focused on knowing your job and executing that job well regardless of circumstances is a winners mentality. Two very impactful plays from this last game that stand out to me are:

- Carp's miss after the commotion of the Sherman hit and subsequent time out and

- Graham'a second one handed TD catch where the CB (Darby, I think) was holding one of his arms down and there was no flag.

One team executed despite distraction and adversity and one didn't. I'll say this though, the Bills came through and executed at a respectable rate. If it wasn't for Graham, they win that game. Talent and properly utilizing that talent are obviously very bigs factor too.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

After the loss, that familiar feeling of a season lost sunk in. So, yes.

After which loss? You started this thread about the season being over a week ago:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/189645-its-almost-november/

And here you are in full surrender cobra mode in the 1st half last night:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/189797-bills-seattle-first-half-thread/page-43

As Belichick has said "The vast majority of games are lost, not won." The mentality of being focused on knowing your job and executing that job well regardless of circumstances is a winners mentality. Two very impactful plays from this last game that stand out to me are:

- Carp's miss after the commotion of the Sherman hit and subsequent time out and

- Graham'a second one handed TD catch where the CB (Darby, I think) was holding one of his arms down and there was no flag.

One team executed despite distraction and adversity and one didn't. I'll say this though, the Bills came through and executed at a respectable rate. If it wasn't for Graham, they win that game. Talent and properly utilizing that talent are obviously very bigs factor too.

For sure, I agree

After which loss? You started this thread about the season being over a week ago:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/189645-its-almost-november/

And here you are in full surrender cobra mode in the 1st half last night:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/189797-bills-seattle-first-half-thread/page-43

And i was right, both times. Shocking.

LOL, we were down by 11 points and you declared the season over. you're pathetic.

Is this how you acted when you were playing football?

Let's see if you can follow along. Stay with me, I know it'll be hard for your mighty intellect:

1) Tyrod's yet to lead his team to a win from 4+ points down. 11 points is nigh insurmountable.

2) A loss in this week's game means the Bills need to go at least 6-1 over the next 7 games to THINK about a playoff spot. Good luck with that.

3) No playoffs means season over.

Following me yet? I'm not hopeful.

Let's see if you can follow along. Stay with me, I know it'll be hard for your mighty intellect:

1) Tyrod's yet to lead his team to a win from 4+ points down. 11 points is nigh insurmountable.

2) A loss in this week's game means the Bills need to go at least 6-1 over the next 7 games to THINK about a playoff spot. Good luck with that.

3) No playoffs means season over.

Following me yet? I'm not hopeful.

I dunno Joe...crapping on the Bills after a hard fought loss is just not a good look.

I dunno Joe...crapping on the Bills after a hard fought loss is just not a good look.

Man, honestly? I've seen so many hard-fought losses in the past 16 years, they really don't evoke any kind of desire to support the team through them. Hell, on MNF alone, the repeated scrotum kicks have been bad enough.

I'm interested in your takes. To me, consistent winners win because they do anything to win legal or not. That killer instinct is what this team has been missing for so long? What's your opinion

Aside from the obvious silly response, as Bills fans, we're always waiting for the other shoe to drop. We've seen the same script over, and over, and over again. I wonder if Bills players feel it to? Fans feel it. Are Bills players subliminally thinking "we're the Bills, and something is going to go wrong." So it almost becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. And vice versa, the Hawks fans were probably thinking, "Bills aren't scoring here, SOMETHING is going to happen - we're going to get a sack, int, fumble, something"; and you wonder if players feel that way too, just b/c they have seen the opposite script over and over and over again. Obviously players need to execute at the end of the day, but I wonder how much of their play is impacted by that subliminal voice in their head saying "you're going to fail" vs. "you're going to do this." At some point the cycle needs to be broken and it will be broken. The Cubs broke that "here we go again" cycle this year. At some point, so too will the Bills.

Aside from the obvious silly response, as Bills fans, we're always waiting for the other shoe to drop. We've seen the same script over, and over, and over again. I wonder if Bills players feel it to? Fans feel it. Are Bills players subliminally thinking "we're the Bills, and something is going to go wrong." So it almost becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. And vice versa, the Hawks fans were probably thinking, "Bills aren't scoring here, SOMETHING is going to happen - we're going to get a sack, int, fumble, something"; and you wonder if players feel that way too, just b/c they have seen the opposite script over and over and over again. Obviously players need to execute at the end of the day, but I wonder how much of their play is impacted by that subliminal voice in their head saying "you're going to fail" vs. "you're going to do this." At some point the cycle needs to be broken and it will be broken. The Cubs broke that "here we go again" cycle this year. At some point, so too will the Bills.

You know, I think I'm on the same page as you with this. Nice post! :thumbsup:

Man, honestly? I've seen so many hard-fought losses in the past 16 years, they really don't evoke any kind of desire to support the team through them. Hell, on MNF alone, the repeated scrotum kicks have been bad enough.

It's true. Bills find ways to lose by 30, Lose by a few points against a great team, And lose against teams they are supposed to beat. At the end of the day, a loss Is a loss. They get paid millions of dollars to win not come close. I am not saying it wasn't a good effort, but if you want to make the playoffs, they got to just win. No such thing as a moral victory in my opinion. For all we know, bills might lose by 28 against Cinci

Seattle and the Bills had the same amount of wins going into the game. There were a lot of different factors that contributed to the outcome, but we played like winners and the game was really fun to watch, thats all I care about.

Impressive preparation and execution by the boys on the primetime stage.

yep. loved all of it. played a top 5 team and punched them over and over. great game. That performance just doesn't happen 2, 5 or 7 years ago. we have talent and coaching now. lets get the bye and then go win 3 or 4 in a row.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore