Chosin- Our Vets-Humbled

plenzmd1

Rambling post i am sure.

Veterans day is Friday, and it always feels trite to me to throw out the "thanks for your service". Just feels like it does not convey how humbled i am and in awe of the men and women who have served our country. For our vets on this board, my greatest respect and admiration.

Just finished watching the American Experience on the Battle of Chosin. I must admit i knew little to zero about the Korean War, and zero about this battle.To hear and watch these men talk about the pure hell on earth was some of the most moving, if not the most moving , documentary/movie i have every seen. You will fight back tears throughout. it will humble you.

And then for them to talk about the sympathy they had for their Chinese enemy, and how bad the Chinese soldiers had it ...wow.

I am sure still re-airing on your PBS station, but here is the link as well

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365880628/

Rambling post i am sure.

Veterans day is Friday, and it always feels trite to me to throw out the "thanks for your service". Just feels like it does not convey how humbled i am and in awe of the men and women who have served our country. For our vets on this board, my greatest respect and admiration.

Just finished watching the American Experience on the Battle of Chosin. I must admit i knew little to zero about the Korean War, and zero about this battle.To hear and watch these men talk about the pure hell on earth was some of the most moving, if not the most moving , documentary/movie i have every seen. You will fight back tears throughout. it will humble you.

And then for them to talk about the sympathy they had for their Chinese enemy, and how bad the Chinese soldiers had it ...wow.

I am sure still re-airing on your PBS station, but here is the link as well

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365880628/

Thanks I'm watching.

Watched it over the internet and aside from the choppy way they inserted commercials (they sometimes put in middle of a vets speaking which is down right disrespectful) it was a fascinating look at part of the war and they even looked at it a bit of the impact to civilians.

It also shows General Douglas MacArthur in a very negative light, something many history books glossed over; like many high level people he disrespected his opponent and in this case this directly resulted in loss of many lives.

Will need to do some more reading.

Watched it over the internet and aside from the choppy way they inserted commercials (they sometimes put in middle of a vets speaking which is down right disrespectful) it was a fascinating look at part of the war and they even looked at it a bit of the impact to civilians.

It also shows General Douglas MacArthur in a very negative light, something many history books glossed over; like many high level people he disrespected his opponent and in this case this directly resulted in loss of many lives.

Will need to do some more reading.

yes on MacArthur..i found that fascinating as well

Thanks for posting. I'll be checking it out. Korea, the forgotten war.

It is indeed. I always thought that about the pacific theater in ww2 as well. When people discuss or the subject is taught it focuses on Nazi Germany but not really the atrocities happening on the other side of the world.

Thanks for posting. I'll be checking it out. Korea, the forgotten war.

I had a teacher in jr high tell me that Korea wasn't really a war. She was in the military and asked if any of our family had served. When I answered, she dropped that knowledge bomb on me. It was only one of the largest military conflicts in human history, but since the U.S. never formally declared war, it doesn't count. I'm sure the Koreans and Chinese will be interested to know.

It is indeed. I always thought that about the pacific theater in ww2 as well. When people discuss or the subject is taught it focuses on Nazi Germany but not really the atrocities happening on the other side of the world.

An American history of WWII:

• France surrenders.
  • Pearl Harbor.
  • D-Day.
  • The Holocaust.
  • Victory in Europe.
  • Hiroshima.

Does the average American know much more than that about the war?

• France surrenders.
  • Germans bomb Pearl Harbor.
  • D-Day.
  • Indiana Jones finds the Ark of the Covenant
  • The Holocaust.
  • Private Ryan Saved
  • Victory in Europe.
  • Hiroshima.

A few more things.

Edited by Benjamin Franklin

• France surrenders.
  • Pearl Harbor.
  • D-Day.
  • The Holocaust.
  • Victory in Europe.
  • Hiroshima.

I think the knowledge is likely lacking even more and goes something like Pearl Harbor, Nazis, D-Day, Nukes.

That said I can remember asking in school about the Pacific Theater as it is where my Grandfather fought and a teacher telling me that wasn't the important part of the war! Bad teachers aside, Iwo Jima, Battle of Okinawa, Japanese POW camps etc... either get no mention or brief mention of hey those guys that planted the flag!

A few more things.

:w00t::thumbsup:

indeed!

I think the knowledge is likely lacking even more and goes something like Pearl Harbor, Nazis, D-Day, Nukes.

That said I can remember asking in school about the Pacific Theater as it is where my Grandfather fought and a teacher telling me that wasn't the important part of the war! Bad teachers aside, Iwo Jima, Battle of Okinawa, Japanese POW camps etc... either get no mention or brief mention of hey those guys that planted the flag!

:w00t::thumbsup:

indeed!

Well...to tell the truth, by most (but not all) measures the Pacific is near the bottom of the list of important theaters, and the scale of US commitment to the Pacific was pretty pitiful until about mid-44.

Of course, the Japanese economy was about the size of Italy's, and a tenth the size of the US, "pretty pitiful" was all that was necessary.

Chosin Marines are royalty. If they will even identify themselves and talk about it. When I was in the Corps, and even to this day, when I have the honor to meet someone who was there, I feel very humbled.

I know one. He doesn't talk about it.