Syracuse Hoops 2016-17

The Poojer

I don't know where Vanderbilt got put into this conversation, I did not say anything other than Wake did not deserve to be in. Based on your comment (since I did not know the road records of those teams) it lead me to believe they had similar road records, but I misinterpreted what you were saying. Road records, however are just one determining factor and not end all be all.

How about this:

Cuse beat Wake head to head in their only match up

Wake is 1-7 vs ranked teams this year, Cuse was 3-5

Cuse had a better conference record

Cuse should definitely have made it in over Wake. Bilas and just about every college basketball expert has said the same thing. Beat them head to head. Better record in the ACC. Much better wins against quality opponents.

I didn't think they would get in last year and they did. I thought they did JUST enough to get in this year and they didn't. What are you going to do.

unc a 1 seed? that's just odd.

duke may not deserve a 1 seed, but if they didn't get a 1 unc shouldn't. unc should have got a 2. kentucky and ucla might be the only ones to slow them down. unc has an easy ass bracket.

seems a little strange seeing nova be a 1 when looking at other number 1 teams.

HAHAHAHAHA NO CUSE

retire boheim, you're an old hasbeen fool

Despite his arrogance and any insults made toward poor little Greensboro, Boeheim is still a very, very good basketball coach. Don't be ridiculous.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2017 ESPN 4 Star PG, Tremont Waters, has been released from Georgetown and has re-opened his recruitment. Syracuse is considered to be one of the favorites to land him. Duke is considered to be the other team in serious contention, however, if they land Trevon Duval (as expected) they will be out on Waters.

With Howard Washington and Waters emerging as legitimate potential late signing period recruits, this really could brighten the once dim 2017 PG situation.

Tremont Waters is a small PG at 5' 11" 180, but he is an electric passer with a very good shot who can create off the bounce.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.syracuse.com/v1/articles/20319209/report_syracuse_expected_to_pursue_former_georgetown_signee_tremont_waters.amp

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

What? No love for the convincing win over UNCG?! I am actually going to be in CNY this weekend for my cousin's wedding. Might slide over to the dome on Saturday for Ole Miss.

Edit: How bout AW3 breaking Gmac's single season 3 pointer record?? That's crazy to me.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

Nice game, I guess. I thought the refs were terrible, and then I realized all the good ones are probably doing the NCAA tournament.

I will say that it's a shame we wasted such a good shooter this year in White. He is probably the best pure shooter we have ever had, though I would take G-Mac every time if the game is on the line.

great game, but i find it hard to get excited, we've seen this kind of performance before from them, only to be followed up by an abysmal performance.....roberson actually seemed like he cared about the game last night. Taurean landed himself firmly in the doghouse and Gillon was also on a very short leash. I really want Frank Howard to clean up his game, i think he can be dynamite. White III, what can you say about his shooting......

I watched the game for the most part and am still mad that we weren't in the tourney. Nearly all of our bad losses happened months ago, this was not the same team then that they are now. Typically I think the NCAA gets that right for the most part but for some reason overlooked it this year.

I think this year was a big learning experience for Howard, and should hopefully tighten up his game next year. Battle looks so much better already than the beginning of the year, imagine next year with a full off season.

I expect Lydon to return and be the leader that he should have been this year and take more control of games.

The wild card is Thompson, if he returns we will be a very good team next year I think

as much as a homer as i am, i really don't think they deserved to get in this year....their bad losses were horrible, their good wins were good, but they were conference wins where anything is possible. i'd love to see them in the ncaa, but i really don't think they deserved it this year.

I watched the game for the most part and am still mad that we weren't in the tourney. Nearly all of our bad losses happened months ago, this was not the same team then that they are now. Typically I think the NCAA gets that right for the most part but for some reason overlooked it this year.

I think this year was a big learning experience for Howard, and should hopefully tighten up his game next year. Battle looks so much better already than the beginning of the year, imagine next year with a full off season.

I expect Lydon to return and be the leader that he should have been this year and take more control of games.

The wild card is Thompson, if he returns we will be a very good team next year I think

I think Battle has a better chance of not returning than Thompson but my basis is solely on what they have shown so far. Not on player desire. I realize Battle has indicated he would be back. We'll see.

I think Battle has a better chance of not returning than Thompson but my basis is solely on what they have shown so far. Not on player desire. I realize Battle has indicated he would be back. We'll see.

I think Battle is closer to being NBA ready now, but someone with Thompson's size and ability to shoot means he has great potential. Plus I think based on their attitudes, and this is all my speculation, that Thompson will jump as soon as he can, whereas like you said Battle indicates he will return

as much as a homer as i am, i really don't think they deserved to get in this year....their bad losses were horrible, their good wins were good, but they were conference wins where anything is possible. i'd love to see them in the ncaa, but i really don't think they deserved it this year.

Normally, I agree, but the bubble was so weak this year and if Wake was considered to be in, then Cuse certainly deserved to be in

I think Battle and Lydon will both do the NBA combine thing, although I don't think Battle is going anywhere. I think Thompson stays put also mainly because he is so terrible on defense. I'm up in the air on Lydon. I give a 50/50 chance of leaving. I think he would be a late first round pick, but I think he could do better after another season. Needs to work on his post game to play the 4 in the NBA.

And yes...Wake making it in over Cuse was a crime. Again, beat them head to head, better conference record, and far more top 50 wins. What am I missing?

the look on his face last night of not wanting anything to do with Boeheim's bitching at him looked like he already has 2 feet out the door and just wants this season to end. Battle and Lydon next year are going to be monsters if they both stay

I think Battle is closer to being NBA ready now, but someone with Thompson's size and ability to shoot means he has great potential. Plus I think based on their attitudes, and this is all my speculation, that Thompson will jump as soon as he can, whereas like you said Battle indicates he will return

Normally, I agree, but the bubble was so weak this year and if Wake was considered to be in, then Cuse certainly deserved to be in

I'm hearing that he is definitely staying, but will get evaluated at the NBA combine. But I have been known to be wrong before....

That would be great for us. But he looks really good right now. Don't get why he isn't getting more love from the scouts. Fast, strong, great driver, and great shooter. He is like miles ahead of where Malachi was.

Lydon, on the other hand... pretty clear he needs at least another year.

I didn't think I'd care enough about the NIT to watch, but there I was Wednesday night at my favorite bar where I watch almost all of the games doing the customary victory shot with a few other regular SU fans.

Andrew White can shoot. Battle just keeps getting better. Gillon is Gillon. Lydon could be dominant with less hesitancy.

I didn't think I'd care enough about the NIT to watch, but there I was Wednesday night at my favorite bar where I watch almost all of the games doing the customary victory shot with a few other regular SU fans.

Andrew White can shoot. Battle just keeps getting better. Gillon is Gillon. Lydon could be dominant with less hesitancy.

At Bona, we had more fans for the first round NIT last year than SU did this year, which is kind of crazy...........And, it was the loudest crowd I've ever heard there..............But, the team didn't show up - at least SU"s players did for the first game.

At Bona, we had more fans for the first round NIT last year than SU did this year, which is kind of crazy...........And, it was the loudest crowd I've ever heard there..............But, the team didn't show up - at least SU"s players did for the first game.

Yeah. The blizzard didn't help attendance the first game.

I don't think it is bad for us. I never liked the coach in waiting concept. I also think this may mean JB stays longer, which would be a positive, in my view. I also think Autry and GMac have been solid recruiters.

Tough move for Hopkins. He is going to have to tap into more of the west coast recruiting market, though maybe he

Already has been while at Syracuse.

Little tid bits I have heard...

This move by Hop was the result of an ongoing quarrel that has developed between JB and Hop over the past couple seasons. Allegedly, Hop has been frustrated with JB's lack of involvement in recruiting as of late, and essentially JB has "vetoed" several recruiting decisions that Hop wanted to make including offering schollys to a couple different JUCO transfers. Allegedly, Hop was at the end of his rope, and with his impending takeover of the program, felt as though he should have been given more say in the decision that would help shape the team for when he took over.

I am also hearing that GMac and Jason Hart (current AC at USC) will follow Hop to Washington. Also, FWIW, I am hearing that JB will not be the HC beyond next season.

Again, take it or leave it...just what I'm hearing from some folks in the know.

From Scott Pitoniak:

Some quick takes on Mike Hopkins taking the University of Washington head coaching job.

* It indicates to me that Hop no longer was the designated head-coach-in-waiting at SU, that the succession plans had changed under new athletics director John Wildhack, who is friends with Jim Boeheim.

* Boeheim is one of those guys who will have an extremely difficult time adjusting to life after coaching, which is why these legacy coaches don't want to retire. Coaching is their oxygen. They can't live without it. So, he wants to continue coaching beyond this year, and probably had that conversation with Wildhack.

* Hopkins was a loyal assistant and solid recruiter. But it's a whole different universe when you slide over to the head coaching seat. I don't know if he'll succeed or not. I've covered many good assistants who became mediocre head coaches through the years.

* It will be interesting to see if Syracuse rebounds from this disappointing season next year. The Orange men have to hope that Tyler Lydon and Battle come back, Thompson takes some big steps forward and their incoming freshmen can have an impact, particularly at point guard. Should SU experience another season like this one, the natives in Orange Nation will grow even more restless, and will raise questions about Boeheim's age, etc.

From Scott Pitoniak:

Some quick takes on Mike Hopkins taking the University of Washington head coaching job.

* It indicates to me that Hop no longer was the designated head-coach-in-waiting at SU, that the succession plans had changed under new athletics director John Wildhack, who is friends with Jim Boeheim.

* Boeheim is one of those guys who will have an extremely difficult time adjusting to life after coaching, which is why these legacy coaches don't want to retire. Coaching is their oxygen. They can't live without it. So, he wants to continue coaching beyond this year, and probably had that conversation with Wildhack.

* Hopkins was a loyal assistant and solid recruiter. But it's a whole different universe when you slide over to the head coaching seat. I don't know if he'll succeed or not. I've covered many good assistants who became mediocre head coaches through the years.

* It will be interesting to see if Syracuse rebounds from this disappointing season next year. The Orange men have to hope that Tyler Lydon and Battle come back, Thompson takes some big steps forward and their incoming freshmen can have an impact, particularly at point guard. Should SU experience another season like this one, the natives in Orange Nation will grow even more restless, and will raise questions about Boeheim's age, etc.

Lydon, he's gone. As of right now, Battle and Thompson are staying. Battle likely to go through NBA combine anyway. Again, take it or leave it...Boeheim will not be the HC after next season.

Thanks for the inside scoop!

All seems pretty plausible, but I am surprised that GMac would go with Hopkins.

No probs. I also was surprised when I heard about the GMac thing. I hope it's not true, actually. One would think that GMac would be torn due to his history with the program and JB, but there is no guarantee now with Hop gone that he will have a job with JB's successor (which I suspect will be an external hire). My peeps tend to be pretty on the money with their info, but they have been wrong before.

This seems to indicate gmac is staying, him leaving would be a pr nightmare that would dog him for a long time.

Actually, reading the article really doesn't say gmac is extended or anything. Just that he has been a valuable member of the coaching staff

http://cuse.com/news/2017/3/19/Boeheim31917.aspx

Edited by The Poojer