Bills Notes from the Indy Combine

Buffalo Wing

The following is taken from NFL Draft Showcase http://www.draftshowcase.com/05combine1.htm

BILLS TALK

Mike Mularkey was the first coach in today and he said that the Bills had brought LJ Shelton in for a physical and a casual interview with the team. They're interested in Shelton because Jonas Jennings is a free agent and they're unsure if he will be back. He also said that the team is looking to pick up a veteran to backup J.P. Losman. Mularky praised Losman's work ethic, saying that he has been in Buffalo voluntarily studying film for 2-3 hours a day. He also said that they hope to get Shane Matthews back to fill that spot but that Matthews was still weighing his options with his family life. Tom Donahoe reiterated how much of a crap shoot this draft is in comparison to past years. In regards to Minnesota obtaining the 7th overall pick he said, "Usually you get to the combine and you know who the top 5-7 guys are and I don't know that you know that this year. Usually you get a good player at 7, but we don't know who that guy is this year." He also said that Shawne Merriman was a great fit in the 3-4. He also said that in Pittsburgh, the advantage to the 3-4 was that so few teams played it. Now that it is becoming a trend in the league, it may become less effective. Donahoe also said that Bills scouts said Clarett came in looking good and in good shape.

Clarett, even with all the baggage, may be a very good choice as a back-up to Willis. That is an interesting choice. Shaud Williams is a nice change of pace and maybe 3rd down back in spots but he is not a solid #2 if your #1 goes down. Clarett has talent and we would not need to rely on him.

251929[/snapback]

i think clarett (and mike williams) are two guys that will go higher then the majority expect........their results on the field speak volumes........

i think clarett (and mike williams) are two guys that will go higher then the majority expect........their results on the field speak volumes........

251934[/snapback]

Agreed. Ironically, I think the Vikings take Mike Williams at #7 to replace Moss, and the Raiders take Clarett with their first pick in Round 3.

The following is taken from NFL Draft Showcase http://www.draftshowcase.com/05combine1.htm

BILLS TALK

Mike Mularkey was the first coach in today and he said that the Bills had brought LJ Shelton in for a physical and a casual interview with the team. They're interested in Shelton because Jonas Jennings is a free agent and they're unsure if he will be back. He also said that the team is looking to pick up a veteran to backup J.P. Losman. Mularky praised Losman's work ethic, saying that he has been in Buffalo voluntarily studying film for 2-3 hours a day. He also said that they hope to get Shane Matthews back to fill that spot but that Matthews was still weighing his options with his family life. Tom Donahoe reiterated how much of a crap shoot this draft is in comparison to past years. In regards to Minnesota obtaining the 7th overall pick he said, "Usually you get to the combine and you know who the top 5-7 guys are and I don't know that you know that this year. Usually you get a good player at 7, but we don't know who that guy is this year." He also said that Shawne Merriman was a great fit in the 3-4. He also said that in Pittsburgh, the advantage to the 3-4 was that so few teams played it. Now that it is becoming a trend in the league, it may become less effective. Donahoe also said that Bills scouts said Clarett came in looking good and in good shape.

251923[/snapback]

I made a post many moons ago about the Bills grabbing Clarett in day two. I still think he lasts that long and he would make a great grab for them as a backup to McGahee.

Agreed.  Ironically, I think the Vikings take Mike Williams at #7 to replace Moss, and the Raiders take Clarett with their first pick in Round 3.

251938[/snapback]

i agree with you Coach 100%, i honestly believe that Mike Williams worthy of such a high pick and Clarett would be the perfect Raider (that up the Raiders's total of convicted crimes up slightly)

Sure...we could draft Maurice Clarrett...if we wanted to shoot ourselves in the brain in terms of locker room unity. That guy is an immature cancer, let the Fins or Raiders draft this bum. Plus, people forget...he had ONE good season, and it was almost three years ago! When he did get on the field after that, he couldnt stay healthy.

If people want an immature, injury-prone, one-year wonder jackass, then Clarett is your man.

Agreed.  Ironically, I think the Vikings take Mike Williams at #7 to replace Moss, and the Raiders take Clarett with their first pick in Round 3.

251938[/snapback]

I have Mike Williams going to the Bears in the first round. The Bears are in desperate need of a WR for that offense.

From http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/news_story.asp?ID=116061&hubName=nfland several other sources:

Buffalo Bills president Tom Donahoe was asked about a possible deal to send running back Travis Henry to Arizona for offensive lineman L.J. Shelton.

Shelton has already visited Buffalo, and Donahoe said the Bills have given Henry permission to visit Arizona although that has not yet happened.

''That's as far as the talks have gone,'' Donahoe said.

Donahoe believes Henry may be a better bet for an NFL team than one of the rookie running backs in this year's deep class. At the top of the list are Texas' Cedric Benson and Auburn's Carnell (Cadillac) Williams and Ronnie Brown.

''Travis has proven he can rush for 1,400 or 1,500 yards and he plays hurt,'' Donahoe said. ''If you look at Corey Dillon or Travis, I think that's the way to go. The thing you know about Travis is what he can give you.''

Maurice "Canseco" Clarett

Why would you want that cancer on your team?

251957[/snapback]

Come on man, give him a chance. He could turn out to be the next Lawrence Phillips. Nobody wanted him either and.....uh....wait a minute.... :doh::flirt:

Sure...we could draft Maurice Clarrett...if we wanted to shoot ourselves in the brain in terms of locker room unity.  That guy is an immature cancer, let the Fins or Raiders draft this bum.  Plus, people forget...he had ONE good season, and it was almost three years ago!  When he did get on the field after that, he couldnt stay healthy.

252007[/snapback]

What were his numbers in 2002? All I remember was the hype before the season started and I didn't think he was THAT great during it.

I still don't know about him. He may have gotten a kick in the a$$ from his lawyer and realized the NFL won't bow to him, but I don't buy his "mature" attitude right now. After 3-4 years of playing in the NFL, he'll probably regress a la Randy Moss.

Maybe Clarrett has been humbled by this whole ordeal. I seriously doubt that a second-day draft pick will have the leverage to start problems in the locker-room. If nothing else, he will be motivated to keep his mouth shut and prove the nay-sayers wrong.

And, I still do see MC as a Day 2 pick, even with a strong workout. For starters, this is a VERY strong RB class, with quality players potentially falling as far as the 3rd round. We know how teams over-analyze the most mundane situations heading into the draft. So, his two years out of football and attitude problems are going to continue to cost him -- no matter how much damage control he and his agent provide leading up to the draft.

The Phillips comparison isn't fair. MC has been childish, foolish, and has made a history of mistakes -- but he is not a criminal, as Phillips was/is. Also, he's not going to be a 1st round pick with carte blanche as Phillips was.

I'd say that if he is on the board in the 5th/6th round (depending on what kind of quality we've picked up in the preceding rounds), he is worth the risk. It's not as if most players taken that late stick anyway. And it may just be another situation, where we land a guy with an enormous chip on his shoulder. I just don't see the down-side.