Positional Needs For DraftTek - Astro

Astrobot

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't use a 1st round pick on a TE. I would use my first 2 picks on WR and S (in no particular order). I think that an offensive lineman and a TE should also be picked in this draft. Hikutini and Sprinkle are potentially mid round guys. Engram, Howard, Leggett or Butt could slip to the 3rd. I also like Marcus Baugh as a prospect. As a flyer I could be excited for Tyrone Swoopes as well. He could be a great H-Back even though he has never played there.

I would have the same criticism about using a high first round pick (and you know it will be high with this team) on a WR. It's like buying your 90 year old grandmother a Ferrari. Until the QB situation changes, I think it's a wasted pick. Safety, cornerback, probably OT, those seem like the positions of greatest need, after QB of course.

I think any draft that doesn't have QB as a position of need is flawed...

You can't possibly pay this guy $10 mil or whatever the 2017 contract calls for , you can't.

I agree with your premise but I have to ask, Who are you going to get to replace him? EJ and Cardale are not my idea of a vast improvement, and none of the likely QBs coming out of college seem to be either. That leaves current NFL QBs and I honestly doubt that any one of them that will be readily available will be a significant upgrade, if at all. So that leaves you with the choice of sticking with TT for another year or two or three, or just replacing him with whatever you can get just to save money.

BTW, there is one current NFL QB who might want to get out of what looks like a lousy situation with no signs of improvement and that's Andrew Luck.

I agree with your premise but I have to ask, Who are you going to get to replace him? EJ and Cardale are not my idea of a vast improvement, and none of the likely QBs coming out of college seem to be either. That leaves current NFL QBs and I honestly doubt that any one of them that will be readily available will be a significant upgrade, if at all. So that leaves you with the choice of sticking with TT for another year or two or three, or just replacing him with whatever you can get just to save money.

BTW, there is one current NFL QB who might want to get out of what looks like a lousy situation with no signs of improvement and that's Andrew Luck.

I know. Guess who this pre-draft review is of?

WEAKNESSES: Fails to read defenses and locks onto targets. Where he has really struggled is a lack of anticipation and timing. Studying his film, Jones waits for targets to get open before throwing the ball as hard as he can so it arrives before the defender. Questionable decision-making and needs to quicken his eyes and expand his vision. Shows cabin fever, often tucking and running when initial read is taken away. Wasn't asked to identify defensive coverages in college.

:sick:

TT makes too much for a neutral player (won't win a game or lose a game for you). Can save $6 million when AW retires, Kyle at $8.3 million sticks out (with Washington taking his spot next year), as does Corey Graham at $5.4 million, and Clay at $9 million for what we use him for is a waste. It would be nice to dump these contracts, but then you have to fill all of the holes we create in the draft and in FA (overpaying most likely) - perpetual 8-8.

We will only have 2 WRs under contract and we will need at least 1 Safety. I don't see an easy way to make this team better to win more games in the short term. How sad...

IMO I think that the Bills will renegotiate TT's recent deal. He is too good to let go But he is not good enough for the big bucks.

I would have the same criticism about using a high first round pick (and you know it will be high with this team) on a WR. It's like buying your 90 year old grandmother a Ferrari. Until the QB situation changes, I think it's a wasted pick. Safety, cornerback, probably OT, those seem like the positions of greatest need, after QB of course.

We disagree on the QB situation then. TT is an average starter IMO and this is a TERRIBLE QB class. There is no chance to upgrade the position this offseason.

You can't play without your top 4 receivers. Woods and Goodwin are free agents. WR will be picked early or signed in FA. S is a GLARING need if AW is done. Look no further than last week's game. CB too if Gilmore goes as I expect but I think Seymour has a shot at that spot. The "new" starters next year will be at S, CB, WR and maybe RT. The rest of the lineup will look the same.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I wouldn't use a 1st round pick on a TE. I would use my first 2 picks on WR and S (in no particular order). I think that an offensive lineman and a TE should also be picked in this draft. Hikutini and Sprinkle are potentially mid round guys. Engram, Howard, Leggett or Butt could slip to the 3rd. I also like Marcus Baugh as a prospect. As a flyer I could be excited for Tyrone Swoopes as well. He could be a great H-Back even though he has never played there.

Whaley already spent 2 1st round picks on receiver: Can't do it again.

Who are the receivers on the roster next year? It's the weakest position Now and 2 of the top 3 are FA. Your logic is that because we used 2 picks on Watkins 3 drafts earlier we shouldn't take a guy to help the worst position group on the team? I don't understand that. You draft BPA and positions of need break ties. Edited by Kirby Jackson

IMO I think that the Bills will renegotiate TT's recent deal. He is too good to let go But he is not good enough for the big bucks.

He would be like the 20th highest paid starter and there are another bunch (Carr, Bortles, Jameis, Wentz, Mariota, etc...) that are on rookie deals. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Who are the receivers on the roster next year? It's the weakest position Now and 2 of the top 3 are FA. Your logic is that because we used 2 picks on Watkins 3 drafts earlier we shouldn't take a guy to help the worst position group on the team? I don't understand that. You draft BPA and positions of need break ties.

Whaley is messing up the O. I didn't say they don't need WR. They let Hogan walk and kept Goodwin? Seriously?

Draft a WR, just not in 1st or 2nd round.

Besides, Taylor can't throw, so RB and TE are important for short passing game.

Problem THERE is he can't seem to get he ball to the often injured Clay.

Rastro, can we please agree that our first priority should Valium

second priority alcohol

third priority banning cell phones from 2.5 miles around the stadium to prevent deadspin's weekly column

P6 banning dildos and cocaine from the stadium?

:rolleyes:

they should.... but it will come down to how Fitz does over the next few weeks and what their record is. If they still think they have any chance at the playoffs, no Petty. Once they know they are done (or if they have no choice but to bench Fitz again), can't see them not doing it.

If they want to win all they need to do is just start somebody and then have Fitz come off the bench lol. He does better when he doesn't over think stuff during the week :D

Darnold might already be the best in the nation. He's certainly the best in the PAC 12. And he's only a freshman. Now let's see if he can keep improving and avoid any serious injuries. Since he's taken over, SC has become a beast. I'd love to see them play Alabama now. For those of you who haven't watched Darnold and SC, they're on ESPN at 7PM EDT this Saturday.

actually a redshirt but beast non the less, I will be watching prostlye all the way

He would be perfect here with our emphasis on the running game as that is what he needs to excel as he is no Peyton.

We would need to rebuild the right side and get some WRs in here.

That is water under the bridge must get better at the position and if the first rounds does it then so be it.

http://www.drafttek.com/2017-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-WRs-2017-Draft.asp

Whaley is messing up the O. I didn't say they don't need WR. They let Hogan walk and kept Goodwin? Seriously?

Draft a WR, just not in 1st or 2nd round.

Besides, Taylor can't throw, so RB and TE are important for short passing game.

Problem THERE is he can't seem to get he ball to the often injured Clay.

I still don't follow? Because we invested in Watkins in 2014 we shouldn't look at improving the biggest need on the roster in 2017?!? That logic is beyond flawled. You make decisions based on where your roster is and not who you drafted 3 drafts earlier!!

You ALWAYS draft BPA and use positions of need to break tiebreakers. That's what good teams do. The Bills probably have 4 spots in this draft that they will need starters at (S, CB, WR & RT). This is a GREAT draft for S, strong at CB, not as deep at WR and bad at OT. With that being said the value may be at safety in the 1st. You may get a top 10 talent at 19 or wherever (like last year with edge rusher). That's how you draft, not "we took a receiver in 2014 so cross them off now."

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I still don't follow? Because we invested in Watkins in 2014 we shouldn't look at improving the biggest need on the roster in 2017?!? That logic is beyond flawled. You make decisions based on where your roster is and not who you drafted 3 drafts earlier!!

You ALWAYS draft BPA and use positions of need to break tiebreakers. That's what good teams do. The Bills probably have 4 spots in this draft that they will need starters at (S, CB, WR & RT). This is a GREAT draft for S, strong at CB, not as deep at WR and bad at OT. With that being said the value may be at safety in the 1st. You may get a top 10 talent at 19 or wherever (like last year with edge rusher). That's how you draft, not "we took a receiver in 2014 so cross them off now."

I'm with you on this thought process. I think safety makes sense in the 1st, where you might be able to get a guy like Adams or Hooker.

I'd probably go WR in the 2nd if a guy like Dupree, Kupp, or JuJu is around, then maybe come back in the 3rd and take my boy Bisno to compete at RT.

I still think that they may be best served by picking up a potential cap casualty like Shields, Flowers, or DRC to replace Gilmore since it won't count against the compensatory formula. That way they can concentrate on a veteran safety and backup QB in FA and still have a strong net loss based on the likely FA signings of guys like EJ, Woods, Goodwin, Mills, Bryant, LorAx, and Gilmore (assuming they keep Zach, Douzable, and Hunter)

Edited by thebandit27

I'm with you on this thought process. I think safety makes sense in the 1st, where you might be able to get a guy like Adams or Hooker.

I'd probably go WR in the 2nd if a guy like Dupree, Kupp, or JuJu is around, then maybe come back in the 3rd and take my boy Bisno to compete at RT.

I still think that they may be best served by picking up a potential cap casualty like Shields, Flowers, or DRC to replace Gilmore since it won't count against the compensatory formula. That way they can concentrate on a veteran safety and backup QB in FA and still have a strong net loss based on the likely FA signings of guys like EJ, Woods, Goodwin, Mills, Bryant, LorAx, and Gilmore (assuming they keep Zach, Douzable, and Hunter)

Agree with all of this. FA CB makes sense to me and I think that Seymour may even develop into a "starting caliber" player. If you pair him with Flowers (as an example) I think that we are okay.

Adams or Hooker would elevate this defense to another level IMO.

We disagree on the QB situation then. TT is an average starter IMO and this is a TERRIBLE QB class. There is no chance to upgrade the position this offseason.

You can't play without your top 4 receivers. Woods and Goodwin are free agents. WR will be picked early or signed in FA. S is a GLARING need if AW is done. Look no further than last week's game. CB too if Gilmore goes as I expect but I think Seymour has a shot at that spot. The "new" starters next year will be at S, CB, WR and maybe RT. The rest of the lineup will look the same.

Actually, I think we agree that QB is a position of high need and that there is no proper replacement either on the Bills or in the upcoming draft. As to a looming need for WRs, I wouldn't be spending a first round pick on one without a QB who can properly utilize him. We already have Sammy, whose talent is hugely under-used (when he can stay healthy). There are more pressing needs than elite receivers at this point.

Actually, I think we agree that QB is a position of high need and that there is no proper replacement either on the Bills or in the upcoming draft. As to a looming need for WRs, I wouldn't be spending a first round pick on one without a QB who can properly utilize him. We already have Sammy, whose talent is hugely under-used (when he can stay healthy). There are more pressing needs than elite receivers at this point.

He was the 2nd leading receiver in the NFL over the last 9 games last year. He was being utilized just fine. He can't stay on the field.

I don't think QB is a dire need. I think that we are in a situation similar to KC, Minnesota, and a few others. It is adequate. You can win with adequate in today's NFL (look no further than last year). If you have a chance to upgrade with a dynamic QB (maybe Lamar Jackson or Rosen next year) that's different. The issue is the Bills aren't bad enough to get a top 5 pick (unless Tyrod gets hurt). Therefore you are talking about using multiple 1st round picks on guys that you are hoping can be better than average NFL starters. That's a tough pill to swallow. That's why teams that have the Alex Smith's lock them up.

Now I think that's it's very plausible that you can deal Tyrod for a 1st after next season. Bradford got one this year with many more question marks. Just be careful what you wish for. I'm not comfortable trading an average NFL starter for the unknown. It may work out and it may not.

Edited by Kirby Jackson