Enough with the Bourbon Kings of the NFL!

You know the trend. Today it was Rams OL Rodger Saffold III. A couple weeks ago it was Some Guy IV. Or Steve Smith Sr. What, is Steve Smith Jr. playing in the NFL? Is there some concern that we would confuse the Pro Bowl receiver with his 2 year old son? Or, for that matter, from his future son in utero? From Sr.'s wiki page: "In 2014, he applied to the NFL for a jersey nameplate change from 'Smith' to 'Smith Sr.' upon the announcement of his future son's impending birth." Not to mention the proliferation of "Juniors" even when, as far as I can tell, "Senior" never played (and certainly still isn't playing) in the NFL. But I guess it brings clarity to the question: who sent out that stupid tweet about OBJ and a Kardashian? (Answer: this is apparently what OBS does with his free time.) Never again will I be confused about which Odell Beckham made that great catch/drew that idiotic penalty -- hey, that "Jr." on the jersey tells me it wasn't the Buick salesman in New Orleans.

Meanwhile, P. Brown and Z. Brown go with the plain old "Brown" -- no first initial! -- on their uniforms. And I'm sorry, I can't remember which one is Brown 52 and which one is Brown 53, although the one wearing 53 seems to be making a whole lot more tackles. Maybe I should give up and root for going full medieval on NFL jerseys: Peyton, Son of Archie. Tyrod the Unready anyone?

Edited by The Frankish Reich

You know the trend. Today it was Rams OL Rodger Saffold III. A couple weeks ago it was Some Guy IV. Or Steve Smith Sr. What, is Steve Smith Jr. playing in the NFL? Is there some concern that we would confuse the Pro Bowl receiver with his 2 year old son? Or, for that matter, from his future son in utero? From Sr.'s wiki page: "In 2014, he applied to the NFL for a jersey nameplate change from 'Smith' to 'Smith Sr.' upon the announcement of his future son's impending birth." Not to mention the proliferation of "Juniors" even when, as far as I can tell, "Senior" never played (and certainly still isn't playing) in the NFL. But I guess it brings clarity to the question: who sent out that stupid tweet about OBJ and a Kardashian? (Answer: this is apparently what OBS does with his free time.) Never again will I be confused about which Odell Beckham made that great catch/drew that idiotic penalty -- hey, that "Jr." on the jersey tells me it wasn't the Buick salesman in New Orleans.

Meanwhile, P. Brown and Z. Brown go with the plain old "Brown" -- no first initial! -- on their uniforms. And I'm sorry, I can't remember which one is Brown 52 and which one is Brown 53, although the one wearing 53 seems to be making a whole lot more tackles. Maybe I should give up and root for going full medieval on NFL jerseys: Peyton, Son of Archie. Tyrod the Unready anyone?

Thank you for that fantastic rant! Just hilarious! A subject that gets under my skin as well.

ok, it took a few tries, due to my ADD and alcohol consumption, but I made it through. I must say... Lol. That turned out to be a funny take on weird uniform name plate trends.. What about Robey-Coleman and Fletcher-Baker? Edited by buffaloboyinATL

52 is Preston. 53 is Zach.

And I understand your post. Last year it was Robey. This year it's Robey-Coleman. What changed? Daddy came back?

It all started with that "Law Firm" guy. What his name? Sumthin sumthin sumthin Greeene...

52 is Preston. 53 is Zach.

And I understand your post. Last year it was Robey. This year it's Robey-Coleman. What changed? Daddy came back?

It all started with that "Law Firm" guy. What his name? Sumthin sumthin sumthin Greeene...

Benjarvis Green Ellis.

ok, it took a few tries, due to my ADD and alcohol consumption, but I made it through. I must say... Lol. That turned out to be a funny take on weird uniform name plate trends.. What about Robey-Coleman and Fletcher-Baker?

Do you really want to get me started on the shoulder-to-shoulder fill-the-back-of-a-size-52 double-barreled NFL surname trend? Robey-Coleman should just bring it all together with a Roman numeral after that mouthful (nice pick 6 by the way!)

I would have gone with the Plantagenets or Stuarts.

Do you really want to get me started on the shoulder-to-shoulder fill-the-back-of-a-size-52 double-barreled NFL surname trend? Robey-Coleman should just bring it all together with a Roman numeral after that mouthful (nice pick 6 by the way!)

I got a kick out of how many people called him Nicole in the post-game pressers. Nicole Robey-Kellman.

Will fuller V is my favorite one

Somehow I missed that there's a 5th out there! William V. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_V,_Prince_of_Orange

Do I hear a VI somewhere? Let's keep the bidding open!

I would have gone with the Plantagenets or Stuarts.

I got a kick out of how many people called him Nicole in the post-game pressers. Nicole Robey-Kellman.

Plantagenets. I like it. Works better. Every joke can benefit from an editor ...

Yeah, I may have aimed a bit too high. Glad to see some folks got it :rolleyes:

Speaking of a bit too high, I think it's time the NFL moved the nameplates to below the numbers. With so much long hair these days, you can't read a lot of the names regardless of whether they're a Jr., Sr., II or III.

The Third Reich was better.

I was kind of trying to avoid that implication ...

Speaking of a bit too high, I think it's time the NFL moved the nameplates to below the numbers. With so much long hair these days, you can't read a lot of the names regardless of whether they're a Jr., Sr., II or III.

This is very true. I've always been one of those fans who doesn't really memorize player numbers, so this hair covering the numbers thing is getting to be a problem.