Specific Question about a Specific Play

The Big Cat

We can't hear the commentary at the bar, so perhaps they covered off on this:

Why in god's name was the ball spotted at the one to begin with?

He landed at the one then rolled out of the endzone. It should have been a safety right then and there OR it should have been a touchback.

To my eyes, it should have been a safety.

Why in the hell was he called down at the one? Nobody touched him and he was fully in bounds until he crossed back over the plane.

Just a quick explanation then we can go back to arguing about whether or not Rex is a suckier than toe jam.

We were talking about this in another thread. 26 Corner said it was the right call by rule because he made the INT and established position in the field of play at the one. He may be right. I thought it should have been a touchback because his own momentum from diving caused him to go into the endzone and OB and he wasn't touched when he was down. No way it should be a safety. If it was a punt or a KO they would have called it a TB because of the momentum.

I don't think he went out until inside the endzone.

Right rewatched it. Liklely because there was contact with him and the WR during the catch so once he hit the ground he was ruled down by contact and hense rolling into the endzone never happened.

We were talking about this in another thread. 26 Corner said it was the right call by rule because he made the INT and established position in the field of play at the one. He may be right. I thought it should have been a touchback because his own momentum from diving caused him to go into the endzone and OB and he wasn't touched when he was down. No way it should be a safety. If it was a punt or a KO they would have called it a TB because of the momentum.

He was in bounds. Should have been a touchback with momentum carrying him into the endzone.

Is momentum written into the rules like that?

Right rewatched it. Liklely because there was contact with him and the WR during the catch so once he hit the ground he was ruled down by contact and hense rolling into the endzone never happened.

Nobody touched him either.

I don't know the rule to be honest. He was down at the 1 but went back and rolled into the endzone after touching the ground. Is it like the reverse of forward progress though, like once you are down, is the play dead and you can't go back in the end zone? (because that would favour the bills if he went into the end zone) the NFL has too many ridiculous rules, I can't keep track of them all

The BS reason the Refs gave was that "He established the interception out of the end zone".

But that was clearly made up on the spot and BS because every player and analyst Ive seen talk about it said they got the call wrong.

Long story short, they got it wrong.

If it were a WR, it would have been a TD, given the catch rule, right?

So..?

Looking on the Bills website he was touched. Hard to tell if it was from the other defender or the WR but was touched while in the air with ball in hands

He was not touched.

Isn't it basically a case of "forward" progress? He caught the ball at the 1; established possession, then fell backward w/ his butt hitting OB in the EZ. Sort of like reaching forward for a 1st down only to pull the ball back for safe keeping - it's the forward most point that counts.

I will add, through the first 3 games, the refs have been better in general than I expected. No major, major screw ups or WTFs.

I even appreciated their lack of flags on DBs yesterday, allowed physical corner play, and that they called it the same for both teams.

We'll see what happens in a closer game than the Jets or Cards, but I'll give them credit seeing as how I bash them enough too.

But he wasn't touched so he's not down and the play is live. If they ruled him touched it was the right call. I didn't think he was by the WR but it wasn't definitive.

His momentum brought him backwards

Just like an offensive player he had control of the ball at the 2 he should have been ruled down at that point or endzone he can't lose yards based on momentum and not get a touchback

Isn't it basically a case of "forward" progress? He caught the ball at the 1; established possession, then fell backward w/ his butt hitting OB in the EZ. Sort of like reaching forward for a 1st down only to pull the ball back for safe keeping - it's the forward most point that counts.

Yes, that's exactly what it's a case of. This type of call happens fairly often around the league. We've all seen it before, yet I'm always surprised by how many people always think it should be a touchback.

SECTION 5 SAFETY

ARTICLE 1. SAFETY. It is a Safety:

(a) if the offense commits a foul in its own end zone or;

(b) when an impetus by a team sends the ball behind its own goal line, and the ball is dead in the end zone in its possession or the ball is out of bounds behind the goal line.

Exceptions:

It is not a Safety:

(1) If a forward pass from behind the line of scrimmage is incomplete in the end zone.

(2) If a defensive player, in the field of play, intercepts a pass or catches or recovers a fumble, backward pass, scrimmage kick, free kick, or fair catch kick, and his original momentum carries him into his end zone where the ball is declared dead in his team's possession. The ball belongs to the defensive team at the spot where the player's foot or other body part touched the ground to establish possession.

(a) If a player of the team which intercepts, catches, or recovers the ball commits a foul in the end zone, it is a safety.

(b) If a player who intercepts, catches, or recovers the ball throws a completed illegal forward pass from the end zone, the ball remains alive. If his opponent intercepts the illegal pass thrown from the end zone, the ball remains alive. If he scores it is a touchdown.

© If a player of the team which intercepts, catches, or otherwise recovers the ball commits a foul in the field of play, and the ball becomes dead in the end zone, the basic spot is the spot of the change of possession.

(d) If the spot where possession changed is inside the one-yard line, the ball is to be spotted at the one-yard line.

Notes:

(1) A ball in the end zone which is carried toward the field of play is still in the end zone until the entire ball is in the field of play (3-12-4).

(2) The impetus is always attributed to the offense, unless the defense creates a new force that sends the ball behinds its own goal line by muffing a ball which is at rest or nearly t rest, or by batting or kicking any loose ball (3-17).