This just in, Rex is a pretty good Head Coach after all!!

ChanOverChin

So now you expect the Bills to beat the Pats in NE or Rex is a horrible HC?? I mean c'mon man.

The rest of the league can't beat the Pats, but the Bills have to in order to vindicate Rex.

It's just unfortunate for the Bills that they have had to deal with HOF HCs within their division for so many years. First it was D. Shula. Then B. Parcells. And now B. Belichick.

The point of this thread was simply to point out that Rex Ryan is a very capable NFL HC. Capable of beating the very best that the NFL has to offer. Even with the deck stacked against him (i.e. with so many of his best players out), he managed to beat one of the top three teams in the entire league.

The Bills controlled the game from the beginning. Rex's defense forced five 3-and-outs in a row to start the game against a very high scoring team with probably the best play caller in the league. It was Rex Ryan vs Bruce Arians and Rex won.......and it wasn't even close.

It's easy......extremely easy.............to say the Bills suck, the coach sucks, fire the coach. But firing the coach means starting from scratch and I really don't want to do that at this point.

if this team can get back the vital players that I mentioned above and soon they can make a run at the playoffs with Rex as the HC.

Hey FireRex, why don't you ask Carson Palmer what he thinks of Rex Ryan's defense???

I think you're missing a point. Rex is 9-10 now as coach of the Bills. At times, his teams have looked sharp and played well. At times, his teams have looked undisciplined and played badly, including 2015 Game #1 against NE. What does "pretty good" mean to you? To most, I think it means "above average" and maybe "top 25%". Can we agree that <0.500 does not qualify a guy as either?

If Rex can get the team to look sharp and play well consistently, game after game this season, executing a good plan each week with adjustments made appropriately, you might find more agreement that he's a pretty good head coach even if the Pats beat us 2x (though it also depends somewhat upon how they beat us - close game or blowout where the Bills look like Keystone Cops Redux?

Until then, it looks as though he "works well under great pressure and when cornered like a rat in a trap"

Let's make this analogy. It's a bit like Ryan Fitzpatrick. At times, is he capable of beating the very best the NFL has to offer? Yes. Throwing for 6 TD and >300 yds. Leading a comeback, throwing on every down, throwing into tight windows accurately. At other times, he's looked totally inept, throwing for 0 TD and 6 INTs as yesterday. No one is going to agree that he's a pretty good NFL QB until he plays capably far more consistently and ineptly, less often.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there has to be something wrong with some Bills fans.. In what universe did a single win erase all the crap we endured last year and the beginning of this year.

If we are over .500 at the mid point maybe we have a chance to be a worthy team in the 2nd half.. Until then I think Rex is crap.... Proof is in the pudding

Exactly. We will hopefully know one way or the other by December. Some people were just dying to be able to hail Rex as a great coach again. It's all about consistency. Rex has NOT been consistent for years. Edited by Billznut

FireRex, I was as disappointed as anybody to see us start out 0-2. Two losses, each less than one score. Time to fire the Head Coach!!!!

My guess is that if the Bills can get their core players back soon (guys like Glenn, Watkins, Darby, Dareus, Sh. Lawson, S. Henderson, M. Easley and even C. Anderson and G. Salas) you're

going start thinking seriously about changing your super clever pseudo-name.

The difference now is that the team is playing with great confidence and motivation. They now know that they can beat one of the best teams in the league. They have an OC that understands that controlling the tempo of a game gives his team an advantage and that Tyrod Taylor is a unique talent who needs to be put in situations where he can win with his feet just as often as with his arm.

My main point of contention with you is that I think it would be very unwise to try to blow up the team by firing Rex based upon three 2016 games. Rex has shown that he can coach an NFL team into the playoffs (he's proven in that regard) so he needs to be given the benefit of the doubt until he at least gets his core players back on the field for a few games, if not for the entire 2016 season.

Firing the HC is always a risky proposition. You fire Rex and there's no guarantee that the Bills will be able to hire somebody better. Prospective proven NFL HCs are not exactly crazy about applying for the Bills' HC gig. Starting from scratch will set this team back another three years.

I'd disagree with you there.

Yes I get it that sacks are separate, but why I'd argue it's kind of a biased stat in that a QB can never have negative rushing yards. (excluding true planned runs)

If he drops back to pass and gets tackled behind the LOS, then it's a sack, but as soon as he crossed the line, then it's all positive rushing yards. I'd be fine if they counted QB rushing yards as net offset to sack yards lost and maybe instead call it scrambling yards or something. A guy like TT runs around alot, say he gets sacked 3 times for a loss of 23 yards, but then scrambles for a total of 40 yards. His net scrambling yards is +17. Instead we just add 40 yards to the team rushing totals, but don't take anything off for the sacks.

Just think it's a rather hokey way the NFL tracks it.

It's a separate stat. Sacks for a loss. It's pretty easy to understand really.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

When Rex, his coaches, and his players put the work into he pregrame film prep, things tend to work out well. Too often, however, he loses focus and underprepares and tries to get by on bravado and ego.

You know this how?

I would hesitate to say that any NFL coach under prepares (except for maybe Steve Spurrier). Whether you like them or not, these guys work their asses off. Some of these guys sleep at the stadium.

The amount of time that these coaches prepare is outrageous.

Stating that an NFL coach does not work hard is kind of like trying to argue that an NFL player is not tough. By definition, each coach works his ass off for nearly the entire year and every player that gets on the field is gutsy.

You know this how?

I would hesitate to say that any NFL coach under prepares (except for maybe Steve Spurrier). Whether you like them or not, these guys work their asses off. Some of these guys sleep at the stadium.

The amount of time that these coaches prepare is outrageous.

Stating that an NFL coach does not work hard is kind of like trying to argue that an NFL player is not tough. By definition, each coach works his ass off for nearly the entire year and every player that gets on the field is gutsy.

It's pretty obvious to me, but believe what you want. No, I don't have direct evidence Peter

It's pretty obvious to me, but believe what you want. No, I don't have direct evidence Peter

Say what you will about whether he is a good coach or not (I like him), but I am very confident that Rex works his ass off . . . as all of these guys do.

Just for the record. Rex Ryan has a better win percentage (.473) than the last 6 HC's so far.

Not fantastic, but after 19 games, I believe he is the most criticized. We get it, you don't like the way he talks, and that the bills haven't made the playoffs. But let the man do his job. Sheesh.

Just for the record. Rex Ryan has a better win percentage (.473) than the last 6 HC's so far.

Not fantastic, but after 19 games, I believe he is the most criticized. We get it, you don't like the way he talks, and that the bills haven't made the playoffs. But let the man do his job. Sheesh.

This is a great post. Give the guy the amount of time that NFL coaches should get to do their job.

As an aside, I think that it would be funny to have the usual haters here and in the media have the vultures and haters swirling around them and incessantly criticizing them and telling them that they should be fired etc. the way they do with Rex.