Lower Bowl - Security Asked Us to Sit Down

jimmy10

Perhaps not, but most people go to games because they want to cheer for their team, and standing certainly provides a greater opportunity to do so.

It certainly provides a great opportunity, when appropriate, but it is not the only opportunity and should not be done for the duration of the game. Doing so is selfish and shows that you are clueless to your surroundings. I can cheer for the team from both standing and sitting positions. Can you?

It certainly provides a great opportunity, when appropriate, but it is not the only opportunity and should not be done for the duration of the game. Doing so is selfish and shows that you are clueless to your surroundings. I can cheer for the team from both standing and sitting positions. Can you?

Yep, and I do. I'm not a proponent of standing through an entire game; I thought that was pretty clear from my responses in this thread.

Here's where I come down on this topic:

I think it's unrealistic for anyone to attend an NFL game and not expect the home fans to stand during significant portions of the game (defensive series, big plays, etc.). It's an outdoor (at least in Buffalo) social event, not dinner theater. During cold weather games it even keeps you warmer. Asking fans to sit down while their team is on defense is un-American.

I also think fans who are standing should try to be cognizant of those around them, and adjust their behavior accordingly. If you see there's an 85-year-old directly behind you, maybe you stand a little less.

There are LARGE portions of each game that are unexciting. If you're standing through these portions and someone asks you to sit, it really shouldn't be an issue.

And lastly, drunks will be drunks. If you aren't willing to accept that occasionally their behavior will be irritating, perhaps attending an NFL game in Buffalo isn't for you.

Didn't come off that way at all. Actually it sounded quite the opposite.

My original post is quoted above. Come again?

I am 26 years old, in great shape, and able to stand for several hours. It is ridiculous to stand throughout an entire game. I am 6'4," and the people standing behind me are likely unable to see over me. Third downs, big plays, anticipated big plays, last two minutes of a tight game, opening kickoffs, etc. are appropriate. Whole game is not.

Personally, I've found that watching the game in my own living room, in my recliner, with my own food and a crackling fire in the fireplace is much more enjoyable than attending a game with the morons at the stadium.

I am 26 years old, in great shape, and able to stand for several hours. It is ridiculous to stand throughout an entire game. I am 6'4," and the people standing behind me are likely unable to see over me. Third downs, big plays, anticipated big plays, last two minutes of a tight game, opening kickoffs, etc. are appropriate. Whole game is not.

Wouldn't the same logic to sit apply to the big plays etc. situations as well? It would be OK to block the people behind you from seeing the big plays, last two minutes etc.? That's what I don't get about the "stand sometimes" argument.

Personally, I've found that watching the game in my own living room, in my recliner, with my own food and a crackling fire in the fireplace is much more enjoyable than attending a game with the morons at the stadium.

Been doing that for years. We record and watch commercial and halftime free while eating dinner as a family in about 75 minutes after enjoying the afternoon. Miss tailgating with friends but the benefits far outweigh that for me.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Wouldn't the same logic to sit apply to the big plays etc. situations as well? It would be OK to block the people behind you from seeing the big plays, last two minutes etc.? That's what I don't get about the "stand sometimes" argument.

Simple question -- are you attending a football game of your favorite team with the hope of getting excited/having a good time, or not? You really "don't get" people jumping out of their seats when something big happens?

Come on, man...

Simple question -- are you attending a football game of your favorite team with the hope of getting excited/having a good time, or not? You really "don't get" people jumping out of their seats when something big happens?

Come on, man...

At exciting times some, maybe even most, people are going to stand up at least for a while. Everyone understands that I would think. I'm just questioning the logic (i.e. I don't understand the viewpoint) of standing and causing people not to be able to see only during the best/exciting moments of the game as being OK, but standing all of the time which is the best/exciting times and the non-exciting times as not being OK. I would think the decision would be binary. Either it's OK to stand and block the view of those behind you, or it is not OK. The sometimes thing makes no sense to me.

Most of the time the ones standing and cause everyone else to stand are the ones in the first row of their section. How stupid is that they are the ones that can see either way. The security stands right in front of them and say nothing. Glad to see they are cracking down on it. Last year I had to stand for the entire game because of some idiot 2 rows down took everything I had not to knock his ass out. The opener this year. I had wonderful people in front of me that made it such an enjoyable time for wife and I. We all pay good money for our seats and come to have a nice time so sit down and be respectful of others.

At exciting times some, maybe even most, people are going to stand up at least for a while. Everyone understands that I would think. I'm just questioning the logic (i.e. I don't understand the viewpoint) of standing and causing people not to be able to see only during the best/exciting moments of the game as being OK, but standing all of the time which is the best/exciting times and the non-exciting times as not being OK. I would think the decision would be binary. Either it's OK to stand and block the view of those behind you, or it is not OK. The sometimes thing makes no sense to me.

It's all about expectations. If you attend a football game and expect that no one will ever block your view, I would say those expectations are unreasonable. I also think if you attend a game and expect that you can stand all game with no regard for those behind you, those expectations are also unreasonable. It's absolutely a "sometimes" thing. During big moments, fans should have both the reasonable expectation they may stand and cheer, and the reasonable expectation that if they sit their view may be blocked.

Honestly, its not that its ok, its just more easily forgiven when it is once in a while and can be attributed to excitement (when the ball is in the air on a deep throw). When it is the small minority of the time, it isnt a big deal, even if it isnt totally ok. Life is made up of grey areas, and this is an example of those unable to stand compromising and saying "sure, I had my view blocked for a few seconds, but thats ok since I can see the rest of the game". Simple compromise. Not "If you cant stand, stay home" or "If you want to stand, stay home".

Come on, man...

He watches the game in 75 minutes while eating dinner. He's not going to get it.

It's reasonable, and appropriate, to expect fans at a game to stand for big moments. It is unreasonable to stand for the whole game, regardless of what's happening on the field.

What is reasonable and what is optimal (everyone being equal height, age, and capacity) are unfortunately incongruous.

It's reasonable, and appropriate, to expect fans at a game to stand for big moments. It is unreasonable to stand for the whole game, regardless of what's happening on the field.

What is reasonable and what is optimal (everyone being equal height, age, and capacity) are unfortunately incongruous.

Exactly

Because standing, and BLOCKING THE VIEW OF EVERYONE BEHIND YOU makes the team play better.

Stand, and cheer at the end of big plays. I get it. We all do. otherwise, you are simply being an inconsiderate @ssw!pe.

Aw, thanks buddy. I love you too!