Les Miles fired at LSU!

YoloinOhio

You still have to pay him, the interim taking over is a joke, and they'll still end up in a bowl game.

I would let the guy who got you a national title finish the season.

LSU will be paying Miles something for the next 6 years, regardless if they fired him now or at the end of the season.

Even with Miles, LSU is looking at the real possibility of going 6-6. What kind of bowl game does that record get them to? The Birmingham Bowl?

If you think I am joking about that 6-6 record, you do realize LSU is now 2-2.

They barely beat Miss St, lost to a dysfunctional Auburn, and still have to face Bama, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, and Arky.

Wasn't he USC's interim once as well.

Yes. He also spent 3 years as the HC for Ole Miss.

Why stop there? Kick the tires on Harbaugh and Saban too. Lol-

You still have to pay him, the interim taking over is a joke, and they'll still end up in a bowl game.

I would let the guy who got you a national title finish the season.

This report says the AD wanted Miles fired immediately to avoid the risk that the team might perform well enough to save the coach's job (again) between now and the end of the season. Not a great look for a guy gearing up to woo top-end coaches.

Both Bruce Feldman and Brett McMurphy would note that sources within the LSU administration told them that Alleva felt he needed to pull the trigger now while he still could in fear of Les stringing together some wins in the latter half of the season “and being stuck with Les another year”.

There is a very real possibility that the following programs will make offers to Tom Herman within the next six to eight months:

Texas

USC

LSU

ND (??)

That would be quite a set of options for the young guru. Which job is the best? I'd take Texas because of the combination of unlimited resources and proximity to talented recruits. Not many schools, if any, can match what Texas has to offer in that regard.

Edited by Willyville Guy

There is a very real possibility that the following programs will make offers to Tom Herman within the next six to eight months:

Texas

USC

LSU

ND (??)

That would be quite a set of options for the young guru. Which job is the best? I'd take Texas because of the combination of unlimited resources and proximity to talented recruits. Not many schools, if any, can match what Texas has to offer in that regard.

i agree. Herman seems like the perfect fit for the Longhorns. Selfishly I want him to stay at Houston until Urbs retires and then take over here. But that's probably not realistic. He's going to get Brinks trucks pulling up to his house in a couple months. Edited by YoloinOhio

Texas

USC

LSU

ND (??)

If I am an OSU fan, I would be more worried about the possibility of the Texas job opening up.

LSU may not be able to compete for Meyer's services, but as you pointed out, Texas does.

After getting spurned by Saban, and watching him win another NC since then, Texas may go bat-**** crazy, and throw the kitchen sink at a proven winner.

Edited by Cynical

I’m at peace with the idea that Meyer will not coach the Buckeyes forever. His arrival following Tressel’s departure was and remains a surreal transition – the chances of finding someone who could possibly be an improvement over the outgoing coach was extremely low. So in a sense we’re on found time right now, and that is never lost on me anytime I start to stress about the Buckeyes.

The chances of Meyer staying in Columbus even if the Texas job opens up are helped by the fact that he’s from Ohio—and perhaps more importantly his wife is from Ohio—they are surrounded by friends and family, and by all accounts they are happy and comfortable in a way they never were down south. Taking at face value the reports about his lack of a work-family balance causing serious health issues in Florida, I can see a scenario where he says “no thanks” to upsetting what appears to be a perfect situation for him and his family in order to take more money in Texas. Plus, OSU is one of the schools that can probably go toe-to-toe with Texas if a bidding war breaks out.

That said, Meyer has commented that he plans to stay put at least until after his kids are all out of the house. After that, who knows? This is truly a magical time to be a Buckeye fan, and I’m just trying to enjoy each game without worrying about the “what ifs” between now and whenever this era ends. Go Bucks.

• 1 month later...