Sully throws in the towel too

8-8 Forever?

It's not just the injuries with this year's team. That said, the team is paper thin at some positions and should certain starters go down it could mean disaster in specific areas of the entire team. TE-WR-O-line-LBer-QB. The dropoff behind CB's Gilmore and Darby is another area of concern. While many say the depth is good, the talent level between the starters and backups isn't even close. IMO We all saw what those backup O-linemen looked like and should an injury strike the left side the offense could be in real trouble.

Rex's defensive scheme, what will we see this year?

1.)This is hypercritical as last year the defense didn't blitz much at all and when they did blitz it usually resulted in a big play for the opposing offense. If the team does blitz more, will they get it right this year or will more big plays follow?

2.) Will the Bills have an effective pass rush and will they get pressure on the QB? Many times during the preseason I noticed that while the defense was playing better overall they still didn't manage much pressure on the starting QB and at times those QB's had all the time in the world to complete a pass...not good! Lacking to get pressure on the QB will eventually lead to breakdowns in the Bills secondary over a 60-minute game as no DB's can maintain coverage with little or no help from the pass rush.

3.) What scheme will the team mostly run this year as the roster still isn't setup properly for that 3-4 two-gap and be much better off in a one-gap scheme! Will the team stop dropping Dareus and Kyle into pass coverage?

4.) The Ryan Bro's have been running a dinosaur of a defensive scheme that has been figured out and defeated for a few years by the better teams. Will the 2016 Buffalo Bills defense be innovative and be in the top ten again in all areas? Not just good in yards allowed or points allowed while stinking in other areas?

5.) The 2014 & 2013 Buffalo Bills were the #1 & #2 team in sacks in the entire league and while many here claim that sacks simply aren't important are in major denial as the 2015 Bills under Ryan fell to 31st in sacks and want to justify this colossal collapse! The #1 team in sacks in 2015 also won the super bowl helped by getting unstoppable pressure from both sides.

6.) Will Buffalo being the #2 team in the NFL in penalties in 2015 be fixed in 2016?

7.) Will the special teams become special again as they fell off the map last year!

8.) The Bills offense led the league in big plays with help due to all that rushing from the RB's and QB. By the time the fourth quarter rolled around many teams were worn down and susceptible to big runs later in the game. The guy that made a lot of those late game runs ate himself off the team for this year. Will opposing defenses be able to counter all that rushing by stacking the box and force the Bills QB to beat them with his arm? Something no Bills QB was able to do last season.

So many questions to be answered gives me pause to wonder if this coaching staff will put forth the effort into every NFL game this season and not just AFC East games against teams they have experience in beating. For me, it's easy to see why someone might think this year's team won't make the playoffs.

Edited by Nihilarian

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talented where on the defense outside of the secondary?

Rex got "his guys" in here and apparently he doesn't have a want or need for talent. The front 7 is pretty average as it stands right now. Hopefully Rex schemes up some good defenses this year.

Dont be obtuse

The better question is to ask where they are NOT talented......stop looking at exact players and look at the group as a whole....this DL is STILL very talented.......Mario is out........Washington is in except for that it is still basically the same line. Marcel out for the first 4 games but its a 16 game season and Corbin Bryant aquitted himself very well as a backup and Worthy looks good as a reserve....this does not even take into account Meatball who we really expect not to play well healthy? Its a strength.

LB - I find it pretty funning how you dont consider this a strength....if Lawson and Ragland were playing you would still not call it a strength because they are rookies.......our LB group are veterans lead by Hughes and frankly NOT a bad group....Zach Brown provides coverage LB......Lorenzo looks good.......backups are young but high upside guys. Whaley did a pretty good job filling these spots with guys like Spikes.

Safety.......not a position I would call a strength but does have vet guys past Aaron Williams

So where exactly are these D weaknesses you are referring to.....notice I said "weaknesses"......average talent is not a weakness

It's not just the injuries with this year's team. That said, the team is paper thin at some positions and should certain starters go down it could mean disaster in specific areas of the entire team. TE-WR-O-line-LBer-QB. The dropoff behind CB's Gilmore and Darby is another area of concern. While many say the depth is good, the talent level between the starters and backups isn't even close. IMO We all saw what those backup O-linemen looked like and should an injury strike the left side the offense could be in real trouble.

A lot of wait and see with this team I admit......but to auto expect the worse is a crap take as well. Also.....as I keep repeating but all you NNN's wont acknowledge.....ALL teams are dealing with this.....ALL teams are dealing with the fact that the 3rd corner is a question mark past the top 2 guys.....what ALL teams DONT have is two top flight starter guys like Gilmore and Darby. So yes....depth is a issue.....but the starting group is NOT.

Rex's defensive scheme, what will we see this year?

1.)This is hypercritical as last year the defense didn't blitz much at all and when they did blitz it usually resulted in a big play for the opposing offense. If the team does blitz more, will they get it right this year or will more big plays follow?

An unknown as well.....but historically Rex has not fielded bad defenses....its a wait and see

2.) Will the Bills have an effective pass rush and will they get pressure on the QB? Many times during the preseason I noticed that while the defense was playing better overall they still didn't manage much pressure on the starting QB and at times those QB's had all the time in the world to complete a pass...not good! Lacking to get pressure on the QB will eventually lead to breakdowns in the Bills secondary over a 60-minute game as no DB's can maintain coverage with little or no help from the pass rush.

What we do know is that we do have a very good pass rusher in Hughes.....Lorenzo is an unknown....but Rex Ryan defenses generate their pass rush from all over the defense and that is something to keep in mind. Washington looks solid....Meatball is back....Marcel is back after week 4.

3.) What scheme will the team mostly run this year as the roster still isn't setup properly for that 3-4 two-gap and be much better off in a one-gap scheme! Will the team stop dropping Dareus and Kyle into pass coverage?

If it is anything like past defenses it is gonna be multiple......this is not necessarily a bad thing because it can be adapted weak to weak to match opposing offenses.

4.) The Ryan Bro's have been running a dinosaur of a defensive scheme that has been figured out and defeated for a few years by the better teams. Will the 2016 Buffalo Bills defense be innovative and be in the top ten again in all areas? Not just good in yards allowed or points allowed while stinking in other areas?

Its not a dinasour of a defensive scheme....it is a complicated scheme that takes time to learn. If anything it is the OPPOSITE of a old scheme. Show me where it is outdated? Because it did not have the right personnel last year does NOT mean it is outdated.

5.) The 2014 & 2013 Buffalo Bills were the #1 & #2 team in sacks in the entire league and while many here claim that sacks simply aren't important are in major denial as the 2015 Bills under Ryan fell to 31st in sacks and want to justify this colossal collapse! The #1 team in sacks in 2015 also won the super bowl helped by getting unstoppable pressure from both sides.

The 2014 D was get sacks at all cost and sacrifice run stop....the 2015 D was an attempt to make players happy and intregate Rex schemes...this has been gone over ALL OFF SEASON.....it is a wait and see for sure....but it is not an immediate failure.

6.) Will Buffalo being the #2 team in the NFL in penalties in 2015 be fixed in 2016?

THis is an area of concern for me....I will admit

7.) Will the special teams become special again as they fell off the map last year!

They actually did not fall off the map last year....go back and look at the numbers again

8.) The Bills offense led the league in big plays with help due to all that rushing from the RB's and QB. By the time the fourth quarter rolled around many teams were worn down and susceptible to big runs later in the game. The guy that made a lot of those late game runs ate himself off the team for this year. Will opposing defenses be able to counter all that rushing by stacking the box and force the Bills QB to beat them with his arm? Something no Bills QB was able to do last season.

Out Karlos Williams....in another bruiser RB WIlliams.......lets see if TT progresses and takes that next step.....which honestly is the key to the WHOLE season

So many questions to be answered gives me pause to wonder if this coaching staff will put forth the effort into every NFL game this season and not just AFC East games against teams they have experience in beating. For me, it's easy to see why someone might think this year's team won't make the playoffs.

The front 7 is average.

Outside of Hughes the pass rush looks pretty abysmal. Like I said Rex needs to come up with some creative schemes to generate pressure on the QB because the talent isn't what it was pre Rex.... Just how he wants it up front apparently.

The front 7 is NOT average.....there is Hughes who is a very good player and 2 pro bowlers on that DL.

You cannot call them average just because we lost Mario Williams who mailed it in last year.

The front 7 is NOT average.....there is Hughes who is a very good player and 2 pro bowlers on that DL.

You cannot call them average just because we lost Mario Williams who mailed it in last year.

Sorry dude but the current front 7 is FAR FAR below average.

We don't have MD, KW is 241 years old and I'm not sure there is even linebacker on the roster.

When Shaq and MD come back, assuming Shaq is very good --- which I do ---then we're average but lopsided. Three good players, one old one that used to be good, decent depth on the from and then a bunch of castoffs.

Suggesting injuries will occur to certain players based on their past injuries and age is BBFS?

Care to wager a friendly bet that McCoy, Clay, AW, and Watkins all miss at least one game this year?

No wager necessary, but either way it's BBFS. It'll help you say told you so should all of them miss time.

Considering how they played, "average" is a complement!

6-10 is Sully's prediction. Gaughan, now him... Why is everyone so down on this team? We actually have a quality starting QB, the roster is healthy (Shady, Kyle, Aaron) and is as good or better than last years and they have the systems down now. Top ten talent (we'll see if they perform at that level) at all key NFL positions. Until the injuries pile up and trash everything, What's not to like? I don't see a healthy roster 6-10. No way.

because he got a 7 page thread...that is his job. He suckered you.

What is the over/under on number of games Hughes gets ejected from?

I love KW but agree that he is long in the tooth and coming off an injury. Old players go quickly not gradually.

I like Spikes but he is an effort guy who can be exposed.

Still riding this? Think of something new to complain about. Hughes is probably our best defensive player. It's like going over to SabreSpace and there are still Darcy fax jokes

Edited by nucci

Still riding this? Think of something new to complain about. Hughes is probably our best defensive player. It's like going over to SabreSpace and there are still Darcy fax jokes

He's an out of control douche on a team with no leadership to keep him in check.

Dang, this horse still has some gallop left in him

Sorry dude but the current front 7 is FAR FAR below average.

We don't have MD, KW is 241 years old and I'm not sure there is even linebacker on the roster.

When Shaq and MD come back, assuming Shaq is very good --- which I do ---then we're average but lopsided. Three good players, one old one that used to be good, decent depth on the from and then a bunch of castoffs.

The hyperbowl in this post is insane.....about the only thing that is true here is that Marcel is CURRENTY not on the DL because of the suspension......but will still have another 12 games to play after that.