Rex' Last Stand Article

jumbalaya

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

spin it 7 yrs 2 losing records

Rex's agent might spin it that way. But his record is what it is. He was > .500 his first 2 seasons and <= .500 since. For the 7 years, .482.

But it's another year and hope springs eternal. He has his brother by his side and all the wings and beer they can want. It may be a last stand and maybe not, but with Rex it won't be boring.

I could care less about Shaq mostly because I think Shaq is the name I'd give to a mop. For some reason I don't care much if he plays this season or not. I thought he was a stretch where we took him and we took him was mostly because Rex hung around him at Clemson and I think Rex was trying to impress the kid by being the guy to draft him.

But I really think we will lost something when Ragland went down.

As for Rex & Rob, if we hit an early season losing streak the season will turn into a sad circus.

Must be Debbie Downer day in the media. Schopp posted his "the season is already over" article at http://www.wgr550.com/Schopp-Hard-truth-about-Bills/22860499

You obviously never read this article. He is basically saying the complete opposite.

Waste of bandwith. I have stopped listening to his show altogether and sure as hell will not read his take on the Bills.

The 'I hate Schopp' take is always fresh and exciting.

He calls Rex a prince. Anyone with a brain knows Rex means King.

He says the Ryan family defense is dying, kind of like the dinosaurs.

Anybody who has been here for a while...knows that this is the best IEatCrayonz post in 8 years.

I motion that jumbalaya be given given the title of "initiate", with all honors and duties bestowed, to perhaps once again raise the Crayonz flag to its former glory. jumbalaya must earn the Crayonz position, of course, but, this is a nice start, correct?

Edited by OCinBuffalo

You know you're dealing with a gem when he can't even get the facts right...

Rex Ryan has been an NFL head coach for seven seasons. Care to guess how many winning seasons he's had? The unavoidable answer: One. Just a single season, all the way back in 2010, when a team he led finished above .500.

Yes, it's quite a mystery how one reaches the AFC title game, 2 years in a row, as a head coach, while never having a winning season, that wasn't in 2010. :wacko:

Look, I love the internet. I always have. And, it WILL replace cable TV. But, while the removal of gate-keepers on news, of all kinds, means more freedom? It also means more stupidity...right now. There is no avoiding this fact. The best part though? Regardless of all BS, as @OldTakesExposed demonstrates: the internet represents accountability.

People love to bring back old posts on this site...when they are right. I dig into the archive...when they were wrong.

Over time, when we as a planet are conditioned to the fact that everything we ever said is recorded? We will see a change. Big brother nonsense concerns pale in comparison to the benefits of forcing ALL of us to think more, BEFORE we post. And, to be more open-minded, and willing to listen to more, rational, arguments, before we pass judgment.

Lesson: Free speech is the best thing there is. Why? Because no one should ever interrupt an idiot, when they are about to completely discredit themselves. If they don't, then perhaps, despite our personally awarded omnipotence? They aren't an idiot after all.

It's always a better world when the media, those who are supposed to disseminate fact-based analysis, and have the special protection of a Constitutional Amendment, are held accountable when they FAIL to do so.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Here's a related article on NFL.com: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000687523/native/ezekiel-elliott-under-intense-pressure-can-rex-ryan-salvage-d

ASK THE LEAGUE: Can Rex Ryan still cobble together a stout D in Buffalo?

After struggling during Rex Ryan's first season in Buffalo, the Bills' defense was expected to return to the ranks of the elite in 2016 with a talented nucleus and a host of promising young players. But a number of injuries (Reggie Ragland, Shaq Lawson and IK Enemkpali) and the four-game suspension of 2014 All-Pro DT Marcell Dareus -- as well as the potential suspension of Manny Lawson -- have put a damper on the optimism emanating from Orchard Park earlier in the year. With all of this adversity swirling, I thought I'd reach out to a few NFL executives to get their take on the Bills' chances of building a dominant defense. Here's what I asked:

Can Rex Ryan overcome numerous setbacks and make the Bills' defense a top-10 unit?

All of the know-it-alls on this site should take heed regarding how much respect Rex's ability to coach and scheme defense is given around the league. This article alone quotes five different anonymous personnel people who aren't predicting gloom and doom for the defense, and I've yet to hear anyone credible say Rex's schemes are "behind the times" as some here have suggested.

If Rex and Rob can coach this defense up into the top half of the league, and the offense makes continued strides, it's very difficult to see a step back from last season's 8-8 record.

All of the know-it-alls on this site should take heed regarding how much respect Rex's ability to coach and scheme defense is given around the league. This article alone quotes five different anonymous personnel people who aren't predicting gloom and doom for the defense, and I've yet to hear anyone credible say Rex's schemes are "behind the times" as some here have suggested.

If Rex and Rob can coach this defense up into the top half of the league, and the offense makes continued strides, it's very difficult to see a step back from last season's 8-8 record.

I have been laying off the Rex criticism for a while now because I like the guy and it is preseason. The post above however, it just what worries me. "Proof" that Rex's defense isn't antiquated will be taking a job and going from #4 to horrendous to "in the top half of the league" in 2 years? In a normal world that would be proof of the opposite. Even if the team's record improves that doesn't mean the albatross scheme hasn't cost us games.

I'd say the judgement should come in stats to an extent. Maybe #4 in the league is too much to ask because for any team to be there a lot has to go right. Things simply don't "click" each and every year. Who knows....even Denver could slip to say 8 with their D if a few things go wrong. To me it has to be a mix of W/L, performance in critical series during games and the eyeball test, along with stats. We were a gigantic failure vs. expectations in all of those last year. I will not be convinced in Rex's scheme if we finish #16 in D and look horrible at critical times and I think it is too low a standard by which we should judge.

I have been laying off the Rex criticism for a while now because I like the guy and it is preseason. The post above however, it just what worries me. "Proof" that Rex's defense isn't antiquated will be taking a job and going from #4 to horrendous to "in the top half of the league" in 2 years? In a normal world that would be proof of the opposite. Even if the team's record improves that doesn't mean the albatross scheme hasn't cost us games.

I'd say the judgement should come in stats to an extent. Maybe #4 in the league is too much to ask because for any team to be there a lot has to go right. Things simply don't "click" each and every year. Who knows....even Denver could slip to say 8 with their D if a few things go wrong. To me it has to be a mix of W/L, performance in critical series during games and the eyeball test, along with stats. We were a gigantic failure vs. expectations in all of those last year. I will not be convinced in Rex's scheme if we finish #16 in D and look horrible at critical times and I think it is too low a standard by which we should judge.

Dude, you have crusaded repeatedly that, in effect, the game has passed Rex by and his defensive schemes "don't work" in the NFL any more. NFL personnel people clearly disagree.

Dude, you have crusaded repeatedly that, in effect, the game has passed Rex by and his defensive schemes "don't work" in the NFL any more. NFL personnel people clearly disagree.

But results on the field, which are more important than opinions, do agree.

I am hoping, as I always do, for success this year. I find it disheartening when the definition of success is lowered. How is going from #4 in defense to bad to top 16 in a two year period something that can be defined as success and proof that the system works?

Even if the defense is ranked 1st or 32nd, the ultimate measure of success is W/L. If the defense stinks out loud but the offense literally gets a touchdown on every play we'll be 19-0 and thrilled. I won't care that the defense stank again. Same goes for the reverse scenario where we get a pick 6 off every snap. It is impossible to ask for a truly objective and perfect measure of success for a specific unit, in this case our defense. Big Cat had some metric in an old thread that seemed reasonable but I'm not sure I could dig it up.

I'm not sure how to define the "success" of a defense, but when one goes half a decade without any good result it might be time to go back to the drawing board.

Edited by 4merper4mer