Pot Roast

Codyny13

i mix that with a can of condensed mushroom soup and either wrap in foil and bake it or throw it in the "crotch pot" . When done you have gravy made and yes I learned this from my mom years ago! :thumbsup:

I'm sorry you must be confused. This is the pot roast thread. :nana:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chef, serious question about braizing: I have a large nonstick metal crockpot, which I plan to sear in. I should deglaze the pot before adding any liquid and ingredients, right? Or should I sear the meat in a different pan?

Edited by SAMMY HANDWICH

I thought this was a pot roast recipes thread.

Mississippi Pot Roast

Crock pot
4-5 lb cut
1 stick of butter
1 pack of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
1 pack instant Au Jus

6-8 pepperoncini peppers right out of the jar.

Meat into crock pot. Cover with ranch and au jus mixes. Place stick of butter and pepperoncinis on top. Cook on low for 8 hours.

Chef, serious question about braizing: I have a large nonstick metal crockpot, which I plan to sear in. I should deglaze the pot before adding any liquid and ingredients, right? Or should I sear the meat in a different pan?

I'd suggest searing in an other pan, saute the veggies in the same pan and deglaze and add the deglazing liquid to the crock pot. That's where all the tasty bits are.

Speaking of beer and pot I smoked pot hoping to cut back on my drinking. Ended up being a drunk stoner. :wallbash:

Crap. I was actually planning on doing that (puffing instead of pounding).

Y'all are missing the boat on pot roast(and yes it needs to be chuck, and only chuck)...i do it as Crispy Cuban Shredded Beef. Awesome in the summer, great family meal for less then $15!

So what you've mentioned here is Crispy Cuban Shredded Beef which is not pot roast. Sounds great but not pot roast. ;)

Well, you care to elaborate a little on the recipe, the technique, the method? Or are you gonna hold out on us? :angry:

hopefully this works...this is absolutely delicious. I use a bunch more Cumin(but i a huge cumin fan) and add the greem habanero hot sauce to mine when i eat...but that is a bit spicy for the kids

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/7498-cuban-shredded-beef?token=1e5f19fcdd7d96cf5b5e2eabfdd829a0

Just finished the most delicious pot roast ever! Thanks for the braizing advice Jim! Here is the recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/braised-pot-roast-with-vegetables-recipe.html

The only thing I did different was oregano instead of Bay leaves and I added no water. All herbs fresh from my garden. Seared the meat in the pot and deglaze with red cooking wine. Simmered for 6 hours. Strained and thickened the gravy with a little corn starch.

Stupid me can't remember the cut of meat though. 4 pound loin of some sort? Definitely not chuck. It was very lean, which made for nice slicing, yet fork tender. Can't wait for leftovers tomorrow!

Edited by SAMMY HANDWICH

hopefully this works...this is absolutely delicious. I use a bunch more Cumin(but i a huge cumin fan) and add the greem habanero hot sauce to mine when i eat...but that is a bit spicy for the kids

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/7498-cuban-shredded-beef?token=1e5f19fcdd7d96cf5b5e2eabfdd829a0

Muchas gracias! Wifey has a subscription to ATK, so we're able to see the recipe. It's greeked out unless you've got a subscription.

Just finished the most delicious pot roast ever! Thanks for the braizing advice Jim! Here is the recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/braised-pot-roast-with-vegetables-recipe.html

The only thing I did different was oregano instead of Bay leaves and I added no water. All herbs fresh from my garden. Seared the meat in the pot and deglaze with red cooking wine. Simmered for 6 hours. Strained and thickened the gravy with a little corn starch.

Stupid me can't remember the cut of meat though. 4 pound loin of some sort? Definitely not chuck. It was very lean, which made for nice slicing, yet fork tender. Can't wait for leftovers tomorrow!

Leftovers were even yummier! Yay Meatloaf!

Next week...Meatloaf...mmm.

But you use pot roast :thumbsup: Just not in the traditional braised, heavy way

Pot roast is a way to braise beef (typically chuck) not a cut of beef.

But what you described sounds good. I use pork instead to make carnitas. Someone should make carnitas for the opener tailgate. I'd like to try that. That is if I was coming.