The Bills are Going to the Playoffs This Year (Part 1)

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

By popular demand, Part 2:

The Defense

This is how I feel about the defense. Despite the injuries, this will be an improved unit on the field. I truly believe that the players having a much more concrete understanding of Rex's system as well as actually believing in the system will have a huge difference in the product we see on the field. More an that in a bit, but let's quickly compare the front front 7 from this year and last.

2015:

Mario, Dareus, Williams (non-factor due to injury)

Hughes Brown, Bradham, Lawson

2016:

Washington, Dareus, Williams

Hughes, Brown, Brown, Lawson

When I look at the front 7 I would expect significant improvement. Kyle Williams is back and though he is aging I believe he still has 1 or 2 years of high level play left in him. He is a great athlete and the DT/DE role he will be playing usually provides a little more longevity than a skill position player. Having him back will be an upgrade.

It totally sucks that Dareus is suspended but hopefully it will be reduced to 3 games and if not, with Brady being out, I can still see us going 3-1 in this stretch. Arizona is a great team and I wouldn't expect us to win that one, but an early season, cross country trip to Buffalo is certainly not a gimme for them. Plus Corbin Bryant, while not a superstar is a solid player who can fill in nicely while Marcel is gone and provide very nice depth when the line is healthy.

Mario being gone is addition by subtraction. Mario began to decline last season and his lack of effort truly sabotaged the defense. Football is the ultimate team sport and one player not giving effort can nullify what the entire rest of the defense is trying to do. Pretty much anything would be better than him, and from what I have read, Washington seems to be a player. I think our defensive line will be vastly improved this season.

When you look at the linebackers, we are pretty much in the same situation as last year with Ragland out. Hughes and Lawson remain on the outside. I really expect them to both perform at relatively the same level as last season. Brown and Brown I think we be an improvement over Brown and Bradham. Preston Brown struggled at times last year no doubt, after coming off a very nice rookie season. It was a bit surprising to see him struggle so much when he show flashes of greatness during his rookie season. Brown looked a bit lost last season, but if you believe the coaching staff, Preston has a better understanding of the defense this year and is poised to rebound. Zach Brown on the other hand doesn't make me jump for joy, but at least he can cover and I think he will be an upgrade from Bradham in this scheme. Bradham is a talented player, but he was a fish out of water Rex's system. I expect Bradham to have a much better year in Philly but he wasn't going to produce in this system.

I think we will see more production out of our front 7 this year because the personnel is better suited for the scheme even without Shaq Lawson, and just getting rid of Mario who was dogging it all last season will allow these defense to play as a more cohesive unit. Then when Lawson comes back, it is an added bonus mid way through the season.

I will keep it short on the secondary but I will say, Gilmore is in a contract year and I expect him to have the best season of his career. If Darby can show a some progression, which is expected for a player of his caliber from year 1 to 2, then we could have one of the best if not the best 1/2 CB combos in the league. I am also extremely encouraged by the play of Kevon Seymour. Yes Nickell Robey Coleman is a decent player, but we could certainly improve at the #3 CB position, which has become somewhat of a starting position in the NFL. Seymour could end up having a very big impact on this defense. The safeties our about the same as last season but if Aaron Williams can stay healthy, then we are going to have a very strong secondary.

Maybe the most important reason why I expect this defense to be improved is, the players have bought into the system. Mario Williams did more damage to this defense with his attitude than his play, although his did do some damage and his effort level was pathetic. When you have one of your highest paid and highest profile players openly questioning the defensive schemes to the media, that seeps in to the rest of the unit and makes it extremely difficult to be successful.

To be successful in sports, athletes have to believe in the scheme they are running. Especially in football. If there is any doubt in the players heads that the coaches are putting them in the best position to succeed, it is going to affect their play on the field. A players mind needs to be clear so the can instinctively react to what they see in front of them. When you have Mario chirping to the media about the schemes, I think it would be nearly impossible for young players especially to have the belief in the system they need to go out and succeed. Also, though Mario is gone I could see his attitude seeping into this season if things go awry early.

That is why the most important addition to the defense this off-season was not a player, but a coach, Ed Reed. Rex is a players coach and the players love him, but he is not one of them and the same questions in the media about Rex's scheme not being successful since his early Jets years I think would still be ringing in their ears. That is why you bring in Ed Reed. Ed Reed is a first ballot Hall of Famer and one of the greatest safeties in NFL history. He has only been retired for 2 years, and he won a Super Bowl 4 years ago as a starter. Ed Reed also comes from the same background of most of these players. He has big time credibility with the current players. I think Rex Ryan knew there was lingering damage done by Mario and maybe people in the media and he needed the players to believe in him and his scheme. Ed Reed was brought in to sell the Rex's system to the players and I think it worked. I know it's only training camp and pre-season but this defense looks like a whole new unit. The belief and greater understanding of the system is going to do wonders for this team going forward.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

U should also add that Brady looks like he's been smoking crack. He looks real light if anyone has noticed. Maybe Aids? Who knows? All I'm saying is he looks fragile.

Can he just retire already?

I think Brady* has early onset dementia, and osteoporosis. And, he has "Mr. Magoo" eyes. Apparently, he became confused at practice the other day and began screaming at his defense to, "get off my lawn!" Sad, really...

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

And given his enthusiasm, I imagine it was with one hand.

I type at about 70 words a minute. I know typing a long, well thought out post might be like climbing a mountain for some of you guys, but it is rather easy for me.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Imagine how fast he could type with both hands!

It is actually sad that you think this is humorous. Nothing worse than someone going out of there way to be funny but not having the self awareness to know that pathetic they are.

It is actually sad that you think this is humorous. Nothing worse than someone going out of there way to be funny but not having the self awareness to know that pathetic they are.

In the immortal words of Sgt. Hulka, "Lighten up Francis." I was making a joke, and even if it was a lousy joke, it was just a joke. I meant no offense. And, I admire your typing skills.

I meant no offense, either-- I do appreciate the optimistic tenor of this thread. And, I do believe that the Bills make the playoffs this season.

(And, the joke really wasn't "out of my way," my slow typing skills notwithstanding.)

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

In the immortal words of Sgt. Hulka, "Lighten up Francis." I was making a joke, and even if it was a lousy joke, it was just a joke. I meant no offense. And, I admire your typing skills.

That one was pretty funny actually.

That one was pretty funny actually.

He's a good Kid. Rocky I mean : )

I agree about physical talent on D. I also think we have better depth then have had i years. Maybe that will offset injuries to some degree. We also have range of players to run a different game, depending on the opponents. Thats what Rex does best IMhO.

Here is my key to the game.

Rex now has checks and balances with in his coaching staff on D. And I do not see them as being yes men. I try to watch the sideline via TV to see the interaction.

I may be in the minority, and I am fine with that, Bills are going to have one hell of a season on Defense.

The Offense seems a bit thin , but G Ro is one smart cookie.

Don't be afraid, just take a sip Folks !

Edited by 3rdand12