Optimism - or lack thereof

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Bills fans appear to be very apprehensive about the upcoming season and for good reason. Here we go again with, "Rex Ryan: Injuries, suspensions won’t stop defense from being better"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/17/rex-ryan-injuries-suspensions-wont-stop-defense-from-being-better/

In that first preseason game Ryan stated we look just like last year with 11 penalties for 106 yards.

"The mistakes that we made, as I pointed out to our team, it's like we've got to turn the page on that," Ryan said. "That was last year's team, and we can't have that."

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/08/13/bills-sloppiness-overshadows-exciting-finish-new-stadium-name/

It's tough to be a Bills fan!

Damn, that showing yesterday has me struggling to find reasons for optimism...

My optimism comes from the fact that the AFC seems wide open this year. Every team has their holes:

NE- Brady suspension, Vollmer out on already shaky OL, Dion Lewis another surgery

NY- Fitz

Mia- Tannehill, shaky OL, no weapons

Ind- nothing outside of Luck

Tenn- still young

Jax- promising but unproven

Hou- QB who hasn't proven a thing, Watt banged up

Pitt- Bell suspension, lack of weapons outside AB, no backup for Ben

Balt- no weapons

Cle- are the Browns

Cincy- Dalton never won big game, missing ton of targets from last year, eifert banged up

Den- No QB, lost a bunch from D

KC- solid but not great

Oak- see Jax

SD- a lot of holes

These are just on the surface. Buf needs a lot to go our way but a slight improvement on O and D will see us end the drought. Go Bills!!

Going into this season my expectations were tempered by last years poor showing. Something has changed. I sense a hunger on this team that I have not sensed in awhile. Hunger + Direction can equal success. We will soon see how good this coaching staff is.

This team was built to win with defense and, as currently staffed, I don't think the defense is up to the challenge. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, though.

If this team can stop the run and get off 3rd downs, it will be a great start. Can the front four hold up and allow the blitzing LBs or DBs to get to the QB would be the biggest question on this defense.