Any uber drivers?

CommonCents

Messed around with it this weekend and did pretty well outside of one pick up which I made a wrong turn. The driver rated me a 1 and tanked my rating since I only have 12 reviews... It's funny on about 30 percent of my rides I have received tips and the other rides all went well but according to their rating system I suck.

I was just messing around with it for some vacation money. I wanted to push it on my off time until the seasons starts but this seems kind of like a child's game. The reviews are based on a 1-5 anynonmous star rating which includes no comments and is not subject to further review. Once your rating tanks rides can refuse rides which wastes your own time and gas.

Edited by Commonsense

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're not allowed to have such things in Western New York, our politicians haven't figured out how they can profit from it yet.

What?? Uber is not in WNY? Seriously why not?

And to the OP. I've never once looked a an Uber drivers rating. I just take the one that can get to me first.

And to the OP. I've never once looked a an Uber drivers rating. I just take the one that can get to me first.

The whole state of NY is Uberless. It's a small tragedy around these parts.

Messed around with it this weekend and did pretty well outside of one pick up which I made a wrong turn. The driver rated me a 1 and tanked my rating since I only have 12 reviews... It's funny on about 30 percent of my rides I have received tips and the other rides all went well but according to their rating system I suck.

I was just messing around with it for some vacation money. I wanted to push it on my off time until the seasons starts but this seems kind of like a child's game. The reviews are based on a 1-5 anynonmous star rating which includes no comments and is not subject to further review. Once your rating tanks rides can refuse rides which wastes your own time and gas.

I didn't realize the ratings were anonymous. You get to rate the customers though too, right?

As a frequent Uber user, I certainly wouldn't refuse a ride over a couple of tenths in ratings. Even with one bad review you should still be a 4.5 or a 4.6, no? Getting a car quickly is always the #1 concern for me.

Pretty sure I've given a 5 to every driver I've rated (including the woman who ranted about the conspiracy against the Warriors the whole ride), expect the one moron who couldn't find me in the middle of San Francisco, then apparently picked up someone else. I might have been more forgiving if I had been sober and hadn't received notice that I was charged for the no-show. My angry rant to Uber (while in the back of the next one) resulted in an immediate refund.

Because they aren't unionized and we simply must protect the ability of taxi drivers to continue their long history of high prices, filthy cars, filthier drivers and overall horrible service.

I believe NYCity has uber

It did a year or so ago when I worked there.

Edited by KD in CA

I didn't realize the ratings were anonymous. You get to rate the customers though too, right?

As a frequent Uber user, I certainly wouldn't refuse a ride over a couple of tenths in ratings. Even with one bad review you should still be a 4.5 or a 4.6, no? Getting a car quickly is always the #1 concern for me.

Pretty sure I've given a 5 to every driver I've rated (including the woman who ranted about the conspiracy against the Warriors the whole ride), expect the one moron who couldn't find me in the middle of San Francisco, then apparently picked up someone else. I might have been more forgiving if I had been sober and hadn't received notice that I was charged for the no-show. My angry rant to Uber (while in the back of the next one) resulted in an immediate refund.

Because they aren't unionized and we simply must protect the ability of taxi drivers to continue their long history of high prices, filthy cars, filthier drivers and overall horrible service.

Yeah my rating is 4.6, without the 1 I would have been at 4.8 or something. When my rating first calculated I hadn't received many reviews outside the 1 so I was rocking a 4.5, got a few cancelations last night. Still short on reviews I may give it another go when time allows.

Yeah reportedly Uber has 35,000 drivers in NYC I think they have some kind of union, not sure how strong it is. I'm surprised WNY hasn't allowed them in yet.

That's what I assumed but a pretty pathetic reason. Uber, as you know, is big here. Do you think the people's republic of NorCal doesn't have a strong taxi union? They've fought it hard but have always lost. Early on they couldn't go to SFO due to the taxi union. I had an Uber driver tell me to ride up front so they would think he was just a friend dropping me off. I asked if I should give him a hug when I got out. LOL

New York State insurance laws? Just a guess

They are pretty rough...

Just a cost of doing business.

What's their rationale?

NY State has maintained that ride share drivers carry the same insurance limits as commercial cab drivers. Uber has maintained that is not a profitable model for them outside of NYC, so they do not operate outside of the City

NY State has maintained that ride share drivers carry the same insurance limits as commercial cab drivers. Uber has maintained that is not a profitable model for them outside of NYC, so they do not operate outside of the City

That makes sense, the extra 100 a month or so for insurance would deter many part-time drivers.

Translation:

Cuomo & his cronies haven't figured out how to coerce their "fair share" from Uber. But there are enough well placed gears in the Democrat machine in NYC who enjoy the service, so they exempted themselves from the rules

Once your rating tanks rides can refuse rides which wastes your own time and gas.

I use Uber/Lift quite a bit, and never once did I pass on a ride because the driver didn't have a 5-star rating. Only two things matters to me: how fast can you pick me up and does your car smell like there's a body in the trunk? Other than that, I see it as a great opportunity to help someone who's trying to help themselves with a second job.

Anyone who gets on your case for taking a wrong turn is a giant douchebag.

Well Uber needs to figure it out. I feel they should be required to carry the same insurance as cab drivers because that's what they are.

Well Uber needs to figure it out. I feel they should be required to carry the same insurance as cab drivers because that's what they are.

Uber uses a loophole for the insurance. The driver has to have his normal level of insurance to start driving. However on each pick up the driver is deducted one dollar to start the trip, that dollar pays for the commercial insurance that Uber has. That insurance covers the driver and passenger while on a trip, after the trip ends the process starts all over again. With the Uber driver going around on his own personal insurance until he gets another passenger, I'm not an expert but I think that's the foggy area. Some states may want the cars working for Uber to be covered 100% of the time? Just a guess.

Edited by Commonsense

Uber uses a loophole for the insurance. The driver has to have his normal level of insurance to start driving. However on each pick up the driver is deducted one dollar to start the trip, that dollar pays for the commercial insurance that Uber has. That insurance covers the driver and passenger while on a trip, after the trip ends the process starts all over again. With the Uber driver going around on his own personal insurance until he gets another passenger, I'm not an expert but I think that's the foggy area. Some states may want the cars working for Uber to be covered 100% of the time? Just a guess.

Legal crap, especially when the government regulators are involved, is always foggy. If you don't mind me asking how often do you Uber and how much you make a month?

Legal crap, especially when the government regulators are involved, is always foggy. If you don't mind me asking how often do you Uber and how much you make a month?

I drove Friday after work and stayed out late I made 140, yesterday I drove after dinner and made 65 bucks before getting frustrated with the ratings thing. Spent about 30 bucks on gas, I have a 300c so it's not ideal by any means.

Also got 17 bucks in tips, and a few numbers for airport trips which I assume people do outside the Uber app? My trunk space made for a few happy customers so that was a plus.

I used Uber for the first time last month in Phoenix. Of all people, my taxi driver recommended it to me on my way to the hotel from the airport. I asked him approx., how much it would be from my hotel to a Diamondbacks game and he told me about $25-30/each way.

Then he asked if I had Uber, which I did not. By the time he got me to my hotel, I had the app and was all registered.

I used it quite a bit during my trip. The rides to the game were $9 one way, $10 back.

A couple things I learned from one of the drivers:

In Phoenix (not sure if this is everywhere), Uber cannot pick people up at the airport. They can only drive them there. They recommended taking the car rental shuttle to the nearest lot and calling Uber from there. Rental lots are not owned by the airports. My taxi from airport to hotel was $35. My Uber from the hotel to the airport was $12.

I tipped my first couple drivers. Then I was with a guy who was totally gung ho Uber. Very nice guy, very intelligent. Asked how I liked Uber, so we began to talk. He said that since Uber drivers get a higher percentage of the fares, that tipping isn't necessary or expected. So I didn't tip him. Or any other Uber driver for the rest of my trip.

Question to this forum: Should they be tipped??