Can You Build a Bills Superbowl Team? (Some Offseason Fun)

Hey everyone, in the doldrums of the offseason I thought it might be fun to see if we can build a Superbowl contender (ok maybe only a playoff team) using only Bills players and coaches from 2000 onwards.

Build out your starting lineup +1 flex player from any bills players between those years, but remember the player you choose is from a specific year (meaning for you Flutie fans out there, 2000 Doug was certainly not at his peak).

Looking forward to hearing the debate and seeing what people think! My "super team" is below:

Head Coach: Chan Gailey (guy had a fun offence just never a defence and there is SLIM pickings for HC)

Offensive Coordinator: Chan will handle this too

Defensive Coordinator: Schwartz (His D added to Chan's offense would be enough to at least get us in the Playoffs, right??)

Offense:

QB: Tyrod Taylor

RB: "FredEx" (2011) -He had 5.5 yds per carry average, so he edges Shady IMO)

RB2: Shady (2015)

WR: Eric Moulds (2002) -10tds 1,200 yds-

WR2: Sammy Watkins (2015)

WR3: Lee Evans (2006)

TE: Charles Clay (2015 tough one to call here)

LT: Jason Peters (2006)

LG: Andy Levitre (He was really good in 2011)

C: Eric Wood (2011)

RG: Richie Incognito (2015)

RT: Brad Butler (2009 Remember him? all Joe team in '09. Not sure who the right pick is. I feel it is ok to swap LG vs RG but LT to RT feels like cheating)

Defense (I set up a 4-3 for Schwartz):

LE: Mario Wiliams (2014)

DT: Kyle Williams (2014

DT2: Marcel Dareus (2014)

RE: Aaron Schobel (2006 14 sacks 0_o )

LOLB: Takeo Spikes (2003)

MLB: London Fletcher (2006 4int 157 tackles)

ROLB: Kiko Alonzo (2013)

CB: Gilmore (2015)

CB2: Terrence McGee (2004)

CB:3 Darby (2015)

FS: Jairus Byrd (2009)

SS: Aaron Williams (2013)

K: Ryan Lindell (2008)

P: Brian Moorman (2005)

KR: Leodis Mcklevin (2012)

KR: McGee

PR: Parrish

McKelvin for KR? You are asking for trouble haha.

I'd have to think about the rest, but I think I'll probably go along the same lines you did with the exception of swapping Watkins and Moulds, and McCoy and Freddy.

Looking forward to seeing what people come up with.

How sad is it that over 16 seasons, the OP has at QB and RB 2 guys who are currently on the team---and entering only their second season on the roster.

Or that he felt he would pick Chan Gaily as HC again.

Anyway--Wade Philips was HC in 2000 so he would be the slam dunk pick. Who cares if he is "not HC material"--just let him run the D (he is at least 2 orders of magnitude smarter than Rex at this).

KR: McGee

PR: Parrish

McKelvin for KR? You are asking for trouble haha.

I'd have to think about the rest, but I think I'll probably go along the same lines you did with the exception of swapping Watkins and Moulds, and McCoy and Freddy.

Looking forward to seeing what people come up with.

:doh: Good call on McGee for Mclovin. Didn't fully think that through.

Also I can see Watkins for Moulds, but in 2002 Moulds was in his prime and at his peak, I don't think Watkins has gotten there yet, hence the slight edge. In regards to McCoy over Freddie, Fred had the better stats all the way around:

5.5yds avg. 93yds a game. 6tds in 10 games with another 442 yards coming through the air.

Shady was at: 4.4yds a game, 75 yds a game, 4tds in 12 games and 292 in the air. (2 more tds receiving though)

I think there is an argument that Spiller should be in over McCoy. Or maybe Marshawn?

How sad is it that over 16 seasons, the OP has at QB and RB 2 guys who are currently on the team---and entering only their second season on the roster.

Anyway--Wade Philips was HC in 2000 so he would be the slam dunk pick. Who cares if he is "not HC material"--just let him run the D (he is at least 2 orders of magnitude smarter than Rex at this).

Are there any better options at QB? I think Tyrod gets the nod because he hasn't proved he is horrible yet, and last year may have been our best year of QB play in the past 16 years :sick::wallbash:

In regards to HC. I think there is an argument for Marrone as HC with Greg Roman as OC and Schwartz as DC, but I couldn't bear to have St. Doug on the team. Hence I went with what was probably our best offensive coach and defensive coach. :bag:

Edited by Lord_MacDonald

Keep Roman as OC amd Wade as the HC. Remember how opponents figured out by week 6 our spread offense to take advantage of Spiller and they played press coverage leading us to 6-10. I like Chan, but would take the Son of Bum anytime.

If you are going with Wade as HC prob need some slight shifts to the Defense. Maybe add Ted Washington from 2000? And Kelsey as an OLB, obviously :death: lol

Edited by Lord_MacDonald

So Gailey gets the offense and Phillips the D

I am cool with that. But your point is well taken. Many of the players are current.

I think thats a good thing !

To the OP great thread !!

Keep Roman as OC amd Wade as the HC. Remember how opponents figured out by week 6 our spread offense to take advantage of Spiller and they played press coverage leading us to 6-10. I like Chan, but would take the Son of Bum anytime.

Chan was asked to make a gourmet meal with ground chuck... Fitz at QB, poor OL (despite what the stats showed), and not a great roster overall.

If you are going with Wade as HC prob need some slight shifts to the Defense. Maybe add Ted Washington from 2000? And Kelsey as an OLB, obviously :death: lol

Man we could add some serious depth and rotational players for fun. Pat Williams comes to mind with Ted.

LOL'd on the lunch pail Kelsay. still love the guy but...

Marshawn and Fred

Spiller? hell no

Hey everyone, in the doldrums of the offseason I thought it might be fun to see if we can build a Superbowl contender (ok maybe only a playoff team) using only Bills players and coaches from 2000 onwards.

Build out your starting lineup +1 flex player from any bills players between those years, but remember the player you choose is from a specific year (meaning for you Flutie fans out there, 2000 Doug was certainly not at his peak).

Looking forward to hearing the debate and seeing what people think! My "super team" is below:

Head Coach: Chan Gailey (guy had a fun offence just never a defence and there is SLIM pickings for HC)

Offensive Coordinator: Chan will handle this too

Defensive Coordinator: Schwartz (His D added to Chan's offense would be enough to at least get us in the Playoffs, right??)

Offense:

QB: Tyrod Taylor

RB: "FredEx" (2011) -He had 5.5 yds per carry average, so he edges Shady IMO)

RB2: Shady (2015)

WR: Eric Moulds (2002) -10tds 1,200 yds-

WR2: Sammy Watkins (2015)

WR3: Lee Evans (2006)

TE: Charles Clay (2015 tough one to call here)

LT: Jason Peters (2006)

LG: Andy Levitre (He was really good in 2011)

C: Eric Wood (2011)

RG: Richie Incognito (2015)

RT: Brad Butler (2009 Remember him? all Joe team in '09. Not sure who the right pick is. I feel it is ok to swap LG vs RG but LT to RT feels like cheating)

Defense (I set up a 4-3 for Schwartz):

LE: Mario Wiliams (2014)

DT: Kyle Williams (2014

DT2: Marcel Dareus (2014)

RE: Aaron Schobel (2006 14 sacks 0_o )

LOLB: Takeo Spikes (2003)

MLB: London Fletcher (2006 4int 157 tackles)

ROLB: Kiko Alonzo (2013)

CB: Gilmore (2015)

CB2: Terrence McGee (2004)

CB:3 Darby (2015)

FS: Jairus Byrd (2009)

SS: Aaron Williams (2013)

K: Ryan Lindell (2008)

P: Brian Moorman (2005)

KR: Leodis Mcklevin (2012)

I'd need to find a way to get Bryce Paup on the field, good work on the thread though.

Good thought, but how about Gailey runs the pass game and Roman the run game?

Too many Coaches?

hahah

I'd need to find a way to get Bryce Paup on the field, good work on the thread though.

Can we get Alonso off the field? not my favorite. Maybe in passing downs

:doh: Good call on McGee for Mclovin. Didn't fully think that through.

Also I can see Watkins for Moulds, but in 2002 Moulds was in his prime and at his peak, I don't think Watkins has gotten there yet, hence the slight edge. In regards to McCoy over Freddie, Fred had the better stats all the way around:

5.5yds avg. 93yds a game. 6tds in 10 games with another 442 yards coming through the air.

Shady was at: 4.4yds a game, 75 yds a game, 4tds in 12 games and 292 in the air. (2 more tds receiving though)

I think there is an argument that Spiller should be in over McCoy. Or maybe Marshawn?

Are there any better options at QB? I think Tyrod gets the nod because he hasn't proved he is horrible yet, and last year may have been our best year of QB play in the past 16 years :sick::wallbash:

In regards to HC. I think there is an argument for Marrone as HC with Greg Roman as OC and Schwartz as DC, but I couldn't bear to have St. Doug on the team. Hence I went with what was probably our best offensive coach and defensive coach. :bag:

Yeah, that was my point. 16 wasted years. Wade is far better D coach than Schwartz ever was.

Chan was asked to make a gourmet meal with ground chuck... Fitz at QB, poor OL (despite what the stats showed), and not a great roster overall.

Fitz was far better than the combo of Orton and EJ. Marrone got them to 9-7 two years after Gailey got canned.