Arian Foster Set to Sign a 1 Year Deal with the Dolphins

It was more hypothetical, seeing as we can't retroactively take money back from Clay. I was trying to demonstrate the ripple effect of how overpaying for one position leaves you unable to easily get a deal done for another down the line.

Gilmore is just as good of a CB as Clay is a TE, IMO, Pro-Bowl notwithstanding, with an upward trajectory on his career.

The Bills currently have $21.2M in cap space for 2017 and will be able to rollover another $11.8M from this year, assuming nothing else changes. So they'll have more than enough money to sign TT and Gilmore, as well as others. But I seriously doubt they want to give Gilmore $15M/year.

The Bills currently have $21.2M in cap space for 2017 and will be able to rollover another $11.8M from this year, assuming nothing else changes. So they'll have more than enough money to sign TT and Gilmore, as well as others. But I seriously doubt they want to give Gilmore $15M/year.

I doubt they wanted to give Clay what he got, too.

Probably because they don't have the big bucks to throw around.

Again they have $11.8M in cap room right now. If they offered him Norman's deal, his cap hit for this year would be $8M, leaving them with a good $3.8M in room still.

Again they have $11.8M in cap room right now. If they offered him Norman's deal, his cap hit for this year would be $8M, leaving them with a good $3.8M in room still.

You do realize contracts decisions aren't made in a vacuum, yes?

Yes. Do you?

Well then us having $3.8M this year isn't the only consideration that matters, is it? Pursuing other FAs in the future, re-signing other key players, etc etc etc all come into consideration.

Bottom line, without Clay's $6M, $9M and $9M cap hit over the next 3 years, the Bills would have more room to maneuver and may be more inclined to budge on an extra $2M with Gilmore. I thought this was a pretty obvious point, not warranting a page of back and forth. But, live and learn I suppose.

Edited by FireChan

Well then us having $3.8M this year isn't the only consideration that matters, is it? Pursuing other FAs in the future, re-signing other key players, etc etc etc all come into consideration.

Bottom line, without Clay's $6M, $9M and $9M cap hit over the next 3 years, the Bills would have more room to maneuver and may be more inclined to budge on an extra $2M with Gilmore. I thought this was a pretty obvious point, not warranting a page of back and forth. But, live and learn I suppose.

I just proved to you that the Bills could give Gilmore Josh Norman's deal (I'm assuming that's what he's shooting for, but it's possible he'd take less, which only strengthens my argument) right now and still have a decent amount of money left over for this season. Therefore Clay's contract isn't hindering anything this year, or next year, as I also showed you. It's abundantly apparent that they do not want to give him $15M/year. And we don't even know what they are offering him. They could be offering $11M/year.

I just proved to you that the Bills could give Gilmore Josh Norman's deal (I'm assuming that's what he's shooting for, but it's possible he'd take less, which only strengthens my argument) right now and still have a decent amount of money left over for this season. Therefore Clay's contract isn't hindering anything this year, or next year, as I also showed you. It's abundantly apparent that they do not want to give him $15M/year. And we don't even know what they are offering him. They could be offering $11M/year.

This is subjective. Decent for what? Decent for re-signing Bob Woods and TT and sitting out in FA? Cool beans Doc. Remember when I talked about vacuums?

Edited by FireChan

Massive downgrade, Lamar Miller to this. Sky blue, water wet, Arian Foster injured.

It just seems typical Dolphins at this point.

But i don't doubt he could help Tannehill. One would hope his exp will be enough.

Be very interesting to see how is used. Maybe he is a locker room leader and player coach for the kids ?

This is subjective. Decent for what? Decent for re-signing Bob Woods and TT and sitting out in FA? Cool beans Doc. Remember when I talked about vacuums?

Just a correction, if the Bills extend Gilmore, they'll actually have $6.6M in cap room this year since his current cap number of $11M would reduce to $8M. As for sitting out FA, FA is over this year. As for TT, they probably won't be touching his deal until next off-season. And finally as for Woods, given the choice between he and Clay, I'm taking Clay, especially since Woods will probably get what the Bills gave Clay. And they might be able to extend him this year if they want, even if they extend Gilmore.

Yes, the Bills should always decline to sign top FAs at critical positions of need NOW because of what a player's demands MIGHT be a year and a half later even though there is no threat to the salary cap, regardless.

If Gilmore is intractable on getting north of $15m per and $50m guaranteed, screw him. We can sign TT to market rate (assuming he merits it with a solid year), and tag Gilmore in 2017 if we have to. And have comfortable space under the expected cap in '17.

I think Gilmore and his people understand that, too. Which is why I think he'll re-sign with us sooner than later.

GO BILLS!!!

Just a correction, if the Bills extend Gilmore, they'll actually have $6.6M in cap room this year since his current cap number of $11M would reduce to $8M. As for sitting out FA, FA is over this year. As for TT, they probably won't be touching his deal until next off-season. And finally as for Woods, given the choice between he and Clay, I'm taking Clay, especially since Woods will probably get what the Bills gave Clay. And they might be able to extend him this year if they want, even if they extend Gilmore.

You're being obtuse on purpose now.

Yes, the Bills should always decline to sign top FAs at critical positions of need NOW because of what a player's demands MIGHT be a year and a half later even though there is no threat to the salary cap, regardless.

If Gilmore is intractable on getting north of $15m per and $50m guaranteed, screw him. We can sign TT to market rate (assuming he merits it with a solid year), and tag Gilmore in 2017 if we have to. And have comfortable space under the expected cap in '17.

I think Gilmore and his people understand that, too. Which is why I think he'll re-sign with us sooner than later.

GO BILLS!!!

"Should always?" Nice.

It just seems typical Dolphins at this point.

But i don't doubt he could help Tannehill. One would hope his exp will be enough.

Be very interesting to see how is used. Maybe he is a locker room leader and player coach for the kids ?

No running back can help Tannehill. My favorite two days of the year, the games against him.

Uh no, because I clearly referenced NEXT offseason, while you cannot seem to grasp that this years' cap space is not all that matters.

Go back to post #41. There you can see what I clearly referenced.

Go back to post #41. There you can see what I clearly referenced.

I know what YOU referenced. Enjoy your vacuum. We have $3.8M this year. Awesome. This is the last year of the cap.

I guess it must be said again.

I know what YOU referenced. Enjoy your vacuum. We have $3.8M this year. Awesome. This is the last year of the cap.

So...we have $3.8M this year. Is that what you're saying? And what is this about the last year of the cap?

Chan,

What exactly is your problem with Clay?

He has played for us for exactly ONE year...he does everything Roman requires in the offense....prior to that he was a Top 100 NFL player for Miami......

Not everyone is gonna work for denny's gift certificates

Chan,

He has played for us for exactly ONE year...he does everything Roman requires in the offense....prior to that he was a Top 100 NFL player for Miami......

Been wondering that myself. Like I said before, if it's a choice between Clay and Woods, I'm taking Clay every time. So would most people.

You're being obtuse on purpose now.

"Should always?" Nice.

It's called the opposite extreme and used as hyperbole for emphasizing a particular point. This one being that signing Clay at the time for the amount of that contract did absolutely nothing to jeopardize moving forward with Gilmore on a long term extension. Nothing at all. No matter how hard to try to conflate the issues.

GO BILLS!!!

Chan,

Been wondering that myself. Like I said before, if it's a choice between Clay and Woods, I'm taking Clay every time. So would most people.

It defies logic as Clay is the perfect TE for Roman's offense. Some folks may need to watch the games closer to appreciate that.

GO BILLS!!!

There was one game (Miami?) where Clay was clearly a primary target and tore it up. (Sounds like a Rex thing if that was the game.) Then he was often almost forgotten, at least compared to that game. I'm eager to see what he can do this year. Now, who else do we have at TE? Not so sure there... But hopeful someone steps up.

It's called the opposite extreme and used as hyperbole for emphasizing a particular point. This one being that signing Clay at the time for the amount of that contract did absolutely nothing to jeopardize moving forward with Gilmore on a long term extension. Nothing at all. No matter how hard to try to conflate the issues.

GO BILLS!!!

Exactly. I said the Bills would have $3.8M this season...IF they gave Gilmore a Josh Norman type deal. Otherwise they have $11.8M this year and $21.3M next year, for a total of (tada) $33.1M over the next year to play with. And even if they franchise TT at the end of the season, that still leaves ~$12M for next year, which could be used to give Gilmore a deal. But again, I doubt they want to give him anywhere close to $15M/year, namely because they already would have done so since they have the room.

It doesn't matter if the Bills have 12 million or 50 million in cap space, they have a value on Gilmore and aren't just going to give him whatever he wants just to get him signed. It's the same approach Carolina took with Norman. And the same one they took with Byrd. They want to keep him but at an amount that they feel is aligned to his value to this particular team. not whatever amount they can fit under this year's cap. They are always looking 2-3 years ahead on cap stuff.

It doesn't matter if the Bills have 12 million or 50 million in cap space, they have a value on Gilmore and aren't just going to give him whatever he wants just to get him signed. It's the same approach Carolina took with Norman. And the same one they took with Byrd. They want to keep him but at an amount that they feel is aligned to his value to this particular team. not whatever amount they can fit under this year's cap. They are always looking 2-3 years ahead on cap stuff.

Stop being obtuse.

^This.