Stranger Things

Finished it the other day. Thought it was great, the wife was just so-so on it. Just wondering if anyone watched with their better half and what she thought about the show?

We both thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, she was the one who suggested we start watching it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished it the other day. Thought it was great, the wife was just so-so on it. Just wondering if anyone watched with their better half and what she thought about the show?

Oddly enough my better half did not enjoy the show as much as I did. She found the 80s setting to be pointless since it was just rehashing old Amblin themes and characters rather than subverting them or doing something new with them. I didn't, and don't, agree with that but it was her main complaint.

OK I watched episode 1 because of this thread. So far I find it decent and will trust you guys that it will get better.

I thought it might be fun for those who have seen it if I make a couple of observations and also predictions after each episode. For those of you that have watched it you can marvel at my powers of prediction or mock my cluelessness based on how my predictions go. I promise not to look ahead before making predictions. I'll go one episode at a time. I'll cover them with a spoiler tag. If you decide to make fun of me or pat me on the back, please use the spoiler tag as well. I won't read them until I am done with the last episode.

Episode 1:

As I watched i thought the best acted part was that of the diner owner who took in the girl. I knew the old broad from "social services" was up to no good but I did not see the murder coming. I know I should have but I thought the actor was too good to kill. Some of the other actors need to convince me. Matthew Bodine? Really?

Predictions:

I think the girl labeled #011 with the superpowers will turn out to be the cop's "dead" daughter. I almost didn't make this prediction because it is too obvious. Maybe he will just be reminded of his daughter and protect this girl like crazy then find out his daughter was #006 or something.

The family with the big sister, little sister and abductee's buddy will remain a focus and the dad will become a suspect of some sort...or a victim of some sort.

The lanky scary dude that seemingly abducted the kid will turn out to not be an alien or mutant but the reanimated Manute Bol.

Episode 2

What is it about moving objects with your mind that gives you nosebleeds? And why not just stuff some kleenex up there before moving stuff? Plan ahead. Duh.

It sure didn't look like Manute Bol capturing that goofy looking chick.

Prediction and an easy one....older brother becomes a suspect after the pictures surface.

I think the boyfriend dumps the chick that he just banged by episode 4.

Banged chick gets pregnant but it is with Manute Bol's spawn.

he-chose-poorly.jpg

General

You have to give me a little credit for going out on a limb right away. I knew the whole Manute Bol thing was a long shot. I fully admit that. Still not convinced you guys haven't missed something by episode 8 but we'll see.

Episode 3

Confession: I messed up and watched 3/4 back to back before posting here so wrt 3 I will only predict things that weren't either revealed or hinted at in 4. I loved the Christmas lights bit. I felt like it could actually happen but it would be cool if the questioner was a little more objective than the Mom of the kid. It could work like a ouija board.

"Will, I know you're in danger but I need to know why the Bills keep losing." Then the lights go C-U-Z -R-E-X S-U-X. Of course this is set in the 80s and spelling out Ferragamo would be sure to attract Manute's attention.

Episode 4

Observation: In real life that cop would be dead already....getting too close. That astronaut guy who went in the goop sure was cocky. :oops:

I knew the body was fake but I doubt that was a surprise to anyone watching. I think this has to send the cop into loony toon land, because if they don't kill him off, there is no way everyone is going to just believe him right away. Cotton? Really? I'm paying taxes for such a low budget fake body? Thanks Obama.....I mean Reagan.

Predictions: I don't know what Lonnie's game is but I think Winnona will fall right back in love because she is vulnerable. Obviously she will end up with the cop but I think that Lonnie will bed her at least once. The brother and Nancy will eventually hook up with the #11, Mike crew and share information. The government/research dudes will hear about the fire at the school and intensify their hunt for #11. I'm still going with the cops daughter being a number lower than #11 or still possibly #11 herself. If she is a lower # it may be a season 2 thing. It is possible that some of the research dudes are really Manute Bol's and they are experimenting on the humans only. I can see where the Manute Bol guy could be an alien that has escaped them and is trying to get his message out using #11, Will and Barb, but I doubt it.

At the end of season 1 I think Matthew Bodine will kill somebody with a barbed wire wrapped ping pong paddle but we won't know who it is. In the s2 premiere it will be revealed to be the kid that talks funny and brings lots of snacks.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Episode 5:

Mike's dad tried to choke him with a tie before the funeral? I knew something was weird in episode 1. Then Nancy tells Will's brother that her dad and mom got together for no reason? Hmmmm.

I'm off the Manute Bol theory after seeing that flower face thing eating the deer.

I don't know why they just didn't kill the cop.

As for what happens moving forward......I think Mike will look for #11. I think the black kid will start to spill the beans to the Feds but then get suspicious of them. The science teacher may get involved.

The cop's voice is the same as some famous actor's and I can't put my finger on it. I'll get it.

Edit: I think his voice is the same as Dennis Quaid but I'll test that next time I watch.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Episode 6:

Starting to get a little more predictable but that makes sense as it gets toward the end. I knew #11 would save Mike when he jumped.

It was cool to see that there is an escape possible via Nancy.

I still think the cop's kid is alive or at least something happened to her that will play into the show, but maybe that will be season2.

I think the flower face might be the female and there are two monsters and the male might be Manute Bol. Probably not Manute still but it looked like two different monsters to me.

I think Barb is alive but I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure Will is alive.

General:

Episodes 7 & 8 act like a 2 parter, so I will review them that way.

If the dude in the upside down zone, let's call him Manute, hasn't been able to break through until now, what has he been eating this whole time? Is there some nutritional value in that acidic snow that flies around?

Edited by 4merper4mer

Episodes 7/8:

Overall I liked it but as tends to happen in these shows I'm not sure I loved the setup for season 2. Matthew Bodine seems dead but they will need someone equally creepy to play a similar role in the sequel. Julian Assange looks like him so maybe. I think the whole puking up a mini Manute was a fake out. Either the kid is in on it or it was just a gigantic loogie. Not sure which but I doubt that kid lets something like that go without telling his mom.

The whole role of Will was just a rip off of Doug from The Hangover.

Not sure why Dennis Quaid voice got in the car with the MIB and then fed #11. She is obviously alive and trapped on the other side but why did they clue him in on it? Is he the new Julian Assange? And saran wrap around the Eggos? If he keeps that up then the upside down will be a pig sty before long.

A whole season and Winona didn't get laid once? That will have to change in Season 2.

Loved this show, the wife loved this show.

Want more right now, but... Im not sure how they are going to pull off season 2. Id be fine with just ending the series at 8 episodes and have it be an amazing stand-alone series.

Why do we always need to run good shows into the ground?

Want more right now, but... Im not sure how they are going to pull off season 2. Id be fine with just ending the series at 8 episodes and have it be an amazing stand-alone series.

I stated this earlier in the thread and agree 100%

Episodes 7/8:

Overall I liked it but as tends to happen in these shows I'm not sure I loved the setup for season 2. Matthew Bodine seems dead but they will need someone equally creepy to play a similar role in the sequel. Julian Assange looks like him so maybe. I think the whole puking up a mini Manute was a fake out. Either the kid is in on it or it was just a gigantic loogie. Not sure which but I doubt that kid lets something like that go without telling his mom.

The whole role of Will was just a rip off of Doug from The Hangover.

Not sure why Dennis Quaid voice got in the car with the MIB and then fed #11. She is obviously alive and trapped on the other side but why did they clue him in on it? Is he the new Julian Assange? And saran wrap around the Eggos? If he keeps that up then the upside down will be a pig sty before long.

A whole season and Winona didn't get laid once? That will have to change in Season 2.

The running commentary on the episodes was well worth the thread. :beer:

A couple things I'll add:

1) Bodine's death (I shall forever call Matthew this from now on) was unsatisfying. If you blink, you missed it. Yes, it was well done in the sense he was killed by his own creation -- but I think we deserved a slightly longer beat than that fraction of a moment we got.

2) Just to wrinkle your brain: What if 11 and Manute Bole / Flower head are one in the same? She's the monster, she created it as a defense mechanism.

3) If anyone wants to read real gov't files on MK ULTRA and the type of shite it encompasses: https://www.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/national/13inmate_ProjectMKULTRA.pdf

4) I'm frankly surprised Season 2 will be a continuation of this story. I thought it would be best served as a stand alone kind of thing with an entirely new story told in Season 2.

5) A collection of good articles on the show

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/07/reboots-be-damned-stranger-things-shows-a-better-way-to-do-nostalgia/

http://www.refinery29.com/2016/07/118430/stranger-things-fan-theory-demogorgon

http://www.bustle.com/articles/175740-11-stranger-things-theories-that-could-totally-come-true-during-season-2

http://screenrant.com/stranger-things-concept-art-upside-down-monster/

I stated this earlier in the thread and agree 100%

I can only speculate, but based on my own experiences one of the hardest things to do in the TV/film business today is tell original stories -- especially ones set in different eras. There's a mistaken belief (imo) that shows and movies have to be based on existing content and have built in fan bases attached to them in order to be worth the cost of bringing the shows or movies to life.

Stranger Things -- which I originally thought was a reboot until I watched it, showing how warped my own expectations have become -- defied this conventional wisdom and showed you can do original and period and generate a following. The Duffer Brothers leaned into the nostalgia of Amblin films but created something of their own from it. That was a risk, one that paid off for the Duffers and Netflix both. Facing a second season, I'm thinking the powers that be behind the show decided it would be too risky to make that kind of bet again. The fear is creating a True Detective Season 2 problem.

But that's just a guess.

Stranger Things Season 2 will be a sequel per /Film: http://www.slashfilm.com/stranger-things-season-two/

Matt and Ross Duffer‘s sci-fi show was embraced so quickly by the streaming service’s customers that a season two is already confirmed. The Duffer Brothers have shared a few details about what to expect from the next season of their hit show.

Below, learn more about Stranger Things season two.

Executive producers Shawn Levy and Dan Cohen told us season two would follow the same characters and introduce critical new ones. Season one ended with, as Levy said, “questions that merit future stories and future investigation,” especially regarding one key character’s surprising change in motivation.

More at the link

Everyone thinks the cop will be the one with the changed motivations, but it will really be Mike's Dad. He's some sort of Russian sleeper cell