Video Breakdown: Greg Roman's Run Concepts

Good analysis. We have the best run game coordinator in football and I thought that while he was at San Fran too. Can he and Tyrod between them develop the passing game now is the question. I want Tyrod to be involved in that and taking some ownership. Needs to be his offense as much as Roman's.

Always thought Roman had cool running concepts, curious as to how good his passing system is.

I think he installs his passing schemes slowly, especially bc of the QBs he has had to deal with. He doesnt have the most precise or complex schemes but they complement his run game attack well.

Good analysis. We have the best run game coordinator in football and I thought that while he was at San Fran too. Can he and Tyrod between them develop the passing game now is the question. I want Tyrod to be involved in that and taking some ownership. Needs to be his offense as much as Roman's.

Thanks!! The second video will be the meat and potatoes. Roman is an expert on the power and gap schemes, thats what he has always excelled at teaching. That is what the Bills dominated with last season.

I watched this last night. I love how you break these down and show why/how each block is being made and the intended goal.

Keep them coming and I'll keep watching

appreciate it!! Theres more where that came from hahaha

Great stuff here. Between you, RQuinn and others, this forum has seen some high quality analysis lately. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that any of you have worked in some kind of quality control roles in either college or pro programs in the past. Greatly appreciated.

GO BILLS!!!

I can't tell you how much I enjoy watching well executed run plays. Beautifully explained as well, Erik.

The diversity of the run game must make it impossible to completely plan for playing against the Bills.

I can't wait for the power runs. Many watch for splash plays and deep bombs but pulling linemen are the most entertaining thing on a football field.

I can't tell you how much I enjoy watching well executed run plays. Beautifully explained as well, Erik.

The diversity of the run game must make it impossible to completely plan for playing against the Bills.

I can't wait for the power runs. Many watch for splash plays and deep bombs but pulling linemen are the most entertaining thing on a football field.

Good take here. You and I may get tagged as "old school" given the shape of today's pass-happy league, but nothing imposes the will of a team on another like being able to run at will. Nothing. I've spoken to scores of OLmen over the years and, to a man, they will tell you nothing feels better than run blocking a defense into submission. One of my criticisms of Gailey is that he never seemed to appreciate that simple fact. There were games when our backs and linemen were getting into a groove and he'd pull the plug when there was no strategic reason to do so.

Pass to score, run to win.

Bring on the run game, Roman.

GO BILLS!!!

It would be really interesting to know what Roman did differently for Kaepernick in 2014, when SF supposedly opened things up for him in the passing game, or maybe was a just a case of just running the ball less in certain situations.

I watched very run play from last season and the power and gap scheme video is going to be a long one. Having played running back I love old school football and our best plays last year came from the pin and pull and power schemes. It'll be fun. Seeing as how I have over 100 clips to choose from lol.

Good take here. You and I may get tagged as "old school" given the shape of today's pass-happy league, but nothing imposes the will of a team on another like being able to run at will. Nothing. I've spoken to scores of OLmen over the years and, to a man, they will tell you nothing feels better than run blocking a defense into submission. One of my criticisms of Gailey is that he never seemed to appreciate that simple fact. There were games when our backs and linemen were getting into a groove and he'd pull the plug when there was no strategic reason to do so.

Pass to score, run to win.

Bring on the run game, Roman.

GO BILLS!!!

:thumbsup: Old School !

It would be really interesting to know what Roman did differently for Kaepernick in 2014, when SF supposedly opened things up for him in the passing game, or maybe was a just a case of just running the ball less in certain situations.

2014 saw opposing DCs start to scheme to keep him in the pocket and key him on read options, regardless if he kept it or not. Teams literally took the free shot to hit him at every opportunity. That takes a toll. Kaepernick has been unable to hurt teams from the pocket and he has become easier to defend as a result. I'd worry about the same kind of thing happening to TT if we hadn't witnessed his ability to hurt teams from BOTH the pocket and on designed runs and rollouts. We started seeing Roman trust him more down the stretch because TT exhibited a grasp of the game that Colin Kaepernick has yet to show.

GO BILLS!!!

Great stuff here. Between you, RQuinn and others, this forum has seen some high quality analysis lately. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that any of you have worked in some kind of quality control roles in either college or pro programs in the past. Greatly appreciated.

GO BILLS!!!

Yes, I'd like to echo these points. Excellent contribution to the board, thank you.

Keep them coming

I was surprised to see Felton highlighted in a few positive plays, I really didn't remember any

Yes, I'd like to echo these points. Excellent contribution to the board, thank you.

Keep them coming

I was surprised to see Felton highlighted in a few positive plays, I really didn't remember any

he was quiet mostly and perhaps did not play to his potential. I expect Roman to use him a pinch more this year. Something was amiss last year with Jerome and Roman's game though. Health? Playbook ?

For sure looking forward to more Erik !

Keep them coming

And I think Felton is quite valuable in a Roman offense. It is my opinion that he wasn't utilized as much bc Shady doesn't run well behind a true fb. He's more of a zone runner. Roman went into the season wanting to use Felton and 21 and 22 personnel but realized shady was struggling behind a fb. So he had to adjust by going to a mixture of zone and gap schemes and that pin and pull scheme became our bread and butter.

he was quiet mostly and perhaps did not play to his potential. I expect Roman to use him a pinch more this year. Something was amiss last year with Jerome and Roman's game though. Health? Playbook ?

For sure looking forward to more Erik !

Thanks for the support!

2014 saw opposing DCs start to scheme to keep him in the pocket and key him on read options, regardless if he kept it or not. Teams literally took the free shot to hit him at every opportunity. That takes a toll. Kaepernick has been unable to hurt teams from the pocket and he has become easier to defend as a result. I'd worry about the same kind of thing happening to TT if we hadn't witnessed his ability to hurt teams from BOTH the pocket and on designed runs and rollouts. We started seeing Roman trust him more down the stretch because TT exhibited a grasp of the game that Colin Kaepernick has yet to show.

GO BILLS!!!

Very much agree. TT needs to show that he can make plays from the pocket consistently or he will be much easier to defend. We definitely saw this in the second half last year. If he can show that, the Bills will be a beast to defend.

Very much agree. TT needs to show that he can make plays from the pocket consistently or he will be much easier to defend. We definitely saw this in the second half last year. If he can show that, the Bills will be a beast to defend.

No doubt. I am finishing up a TT video breaking down his INTS and I was blown away at how teams had to adjust to our passing game bc of how good we were deep. Do we keep two safeties deep which leaves one less guy in the box vs run? Or do we stack the box and let the boys connect on bombs? Taylor looked better in the second half and that is as clear as day. U will see just in the pats games 1 to 2. He showed much more progress than I imagined.

Eric, nice work as always!

One of the great things about football is that the basic ideas are simple enough that a new fan can catch on relatively quickly.

Yet football is complicated enough that experienced fans can always find new things to dissect, criticize and/or admire.