Williams speech/Alton/Philando/Dallas shootings

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unbelievable....................

Yale Professor Hypes the Threat of Police Shootings Beyond All Reason

by David French

As academic essays go, this might be one of the most overwrought and alarmist pieces I’ve ever read. It’s in the New York Times, of course.( http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/26/opinion/im-black-does-america-have-a-plan-for-my-life.html?_r=0)

Here’s African-American Yale professor Chris Lebron discussing his deepest fears:

I’m not sure how many days are left in my life.

I am not suffering from a terminal disease. I don’t work in a high-risk occupation. No, I don’t have suicidal thoughts. I don’t even live in an especially dangerous neighborhood.

I am racially black and I live in America, which raises the question: Will I live as long as I intend?

Depending on who you are, the question may seem absurd. No one truly knows their own life span, and few live as long as they intend to. You may feel I am just being melodramatic in thinking that because I live in America as a black person I am somehow at special risk.

But I do believe that I am at special risk.

To be clear, he’s not “special risk” because he volunteers in gang-infested neighborhoods or because his writing or speaking has led to death threats, but because he might suffer the same fate as the “hundreds” of black Americans killed by police in the United States.

Black Americans are hardly the only racial group to die at the hands of the police. Hundreds more white Americans die every year. Moreover, if you narrow the toll of black deaths by excluding the individuals who were armed and actively endangering police or the public – and then exclude the people who were unarmed and violent — then the “hundreds” becomes a number so small as to represent an utterly insignificant risk to any law-abiding person, black or white.

But really, who needs facts when you can just presume what you want to presume? Here he is talking about Terence Crutcher’s death in Oklahoma:

As democratic citizens we should be collectively aghast that a man could be fatally erased on an American highway by the agency sworn to protect and serve. The immediate reasons for his death may only ever be known to Officer Shelby. But anyone who has been keeping score at least since 2012 knows the problem Mr. Crutcher’s plan ran into: blackness in America. It caught up with him, and the outcome that, despite plans, many black Americans know is possible became very real.

You see, all you need to do to understand the important facts about a single shooting in Oklahoma is to “keep score.” This makes absolutely no sense. For all he knows, the officer may not have even intended to pull the trigger. But he’s kept score, so he knows race was at the core of the incident.

It’s essays like this that contribute to my profound short-term pessimism about race in America. Here we have a professor at the apex of his profession — a man who is among the most privileged people in the most powerful nation in the world, a man who’s chances of dying at the hands of the police are at the virtual vanishing point – and he actually says this:

So maybe this is how black Americans ought to plan for a life in America — holding out the hope to meet basic goals or striving to achieve larger ambitions knowing all the while that the present-day effects of America’s racial history can fatally disrupt enjoying, celebrating, commemorating the results of achievements small or large. Let me be honest with you — that is neither rational, nor is it fair. And there’s still the small matter of the luck that runs out.

I wish I knew America’s plan for me.

I’m sorry, but this is just bizarre. America’s “plan” for his life? Well, how about granting him economic and educational opportunities that have enabled him to enjoy a career far beyond the reach of almost the entire American population, of any color?

There is not a single serious American who is against diligent investigation of police shootings. It’s one of the few areas of consensus in American life.

Moreover, only the most perverse fringe endorses or excuses official racism. America has a crime problem far more than it has a cop problem, and denying that reality – along with hyping the risks from rogue cops – is worse than irresponsible. It’s dangerous.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/440475/yale-professor-hypes-threat-police-shootings-beyond-all-reason

There is not a single serious American who is against diligent investigation of police shootings. It’s one of the few areas of consensus in American life.

I am.

Well...I actually don't care one way or the other about Kaepernick kneeling during the National Anthem.

But I've been told this is equivalent to the open support of shooting blacks.

But anyone who has been keeping score at least since 2012

The ones who have been keeping score since 2012 are the media, after they found out how many clicks, etc. they could generate via Trayvon Martin.

Edited by bbb

Guess they should enact a new law that the cop has to get shot 2x before they can take action huh ?

Dumbass did it to himself.

Get shot 2x with what? His fingers? Oh wait, guns are everywhere.

Obedience has to start somewhere before the jackboot gov't thugs can take over.

Lesson of the day: If you need help, whatever you do... Do NOT CALL THE POLICE. Go it alone. You will have a better chance of survival than getting those gov't clusterphucks innvolved.

The relative of the man that was having the issue, some were saying he was epileptic (don't know how true), learned the hard about calling the gov't enforcers to get innvolved.

Lesson of the day: If you need help, whatever you do... Do NOT CALL THE POLICE. Go it alone. You will have a better chance of survival than getting those gov't clusterphucks innvolved.

The relative of the man that was having the issue, some were saying he was epileptic (don't know how true), learned the hard about calling the gov't enforcers to get innvolved.

you are now officially the most ignorant person on this board. There is no response worth giving beyond simply saying that everything you just said and believe lowers the collective intelligence of the population. Its a tragedy and not even worth continuing any discussion with you in any form by anyone on this board. You have earned the status of only 2 others. dog90210 and damondtalbot. You are added to the ignore list.

May god have mercy on your soul

you are now officially the most ignorant person on this board. There is no response worth giving beyond simply saying that everything you just said and believe lowers the collective intelligence of the population. Its a tragedy and not even worth continuing any discussion with you in any form by anyone on this board. You have earned the status of only 2 others. dog90210 and damondtalbot. You are added to the ignore list.

May god have mercy on your soul

No you are officially the most arrogant and ignorant.

Why would any AA chose to not go it alone and subject themselves to gov't tyranny. Maybe independence from gov't is what some need to grow stronger, self-reliant. Of course, this all starts w/less drama in people's lives...

Isn't this what you conservatives preach?

Ignore the people who challenge your BS. Hide your head in the sand and whistle out your azz and only listen to ideas you like. Cloister yourself away.

Are you really this dumb ? He was acting funny and then made a movement that the officers felt was threatening.

Wake up Mcfly. Yea don't call the police when thugs are breaking into your house.

Great idea nostradumbass

"EL CAJON, Calif. A black man reportedly acting erratically at a strip mall in suburban San Diego was shot and killed by police after pulling an object from his pocket, pointing it at officers and assuming a "shooting stance," authorities said"

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Are you really this dumb ? He was acting funny and then made a movement that the officers felt was threatening.

Wake up Mcfly. Yea don't call the police when thugs are breaking into your house.

Great idea nostradumbass

Made a move they FELT was threatening. Now he's dead. Hey, just remember you reap what you sow.

But tough guy Ryan will beat a cop's azz if they shoot your dog... GOOD one Chuck Norris... You are imortal.

No you are officially the most arrogant and ignorant.

I am ignorant on many many things. But I don't willfully spew off about them unless in jest or mockingly. I have access to the internet and enough ability to process that information is often not what is first received but received in totality.

As far as my arrogance I guess you'd have to realize who I am that I just talk a lot of ****. That arrogance is only experience and bull ****. And its a schtick. I could notcare less about what's posted on this board 99% of the time. But i care about each and every one of you.

There is no reason why you should be able to disregard all evidence which vehemently disagrees with you other than ignorance.

And tom, lybob is not ignorant. He is incapable of even processing the ability to grasp basic information. He is a parrot or shill for tag lines. Headlines. Hash tags and the like

Made a move they FELT was threatening. Now he's dead. Hey, just remember you reap what you sow.

But tough guy Ryan will beat a cop's azz if they shoot your dog... GOOD one Chuck Norris... You are imortal.

I like my dog. I'd beat your ass too if you shot her.

Sorry I'm not a neutered liberal idiot. Some men still exist in the world.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

I like my dog. I'd beat your ass too if you shot her.

Sorry I'm not a neutered liberal idiot. Some men still exist in the world.

And you don't think Black men are saying the same thing about their freedom. Freedom and defiance to what they perceive as arbitrary. As illogical and drama filled some of their lives may seem to you, it's their reality.

The more the screws tighten, the more defiant people will get.

Your dog gets loose and a cop shoots it being that it is a pit bull. Are you really going to confront the officer an "beat" him. Should you be shot and killed for that? Please say yes.

How is that illogical, drama filled scenario any different that what we are seeing in the AA community? Why does Ryan L Billz think he is so special?

I am ignorant on many many things. But I don't willfully spew off about them unless in jest or mockingly. I have access to the internet and enough ability to process that information is often not what is first received but received in totality.

As far as my arrogance I guess you'd have to realize who I am that I just talk a lot of ****. That arrogance is only experience and bull ****. And its a schtick. I could notcare less about what's posted on this board 99% of the time. But i care about each and every one of you.

There is no reason why you should be able to disregard all evidence which vehemently disagrees with you other than ignorance.

And tom, lybob is not ignorant. He is incapable of even processing the ability to grasp basic information. He is a parrot or shill for tag lines. Headlines. Hash tags and the like

I am not disregarding the evidence. Show me where I am doing that.

And fair enough Boyst... I care about every single one of you too. There is a reason why I take the high road. A reason why I advocate tolerance but honesty. Why I expect people to do the Christian thing and take that leap of faith and turn that cheek... It protects more people in long run. It makes people stronger and more self-sufficient.

I have been here a long time. My emotions simply don't get the best of me. I am not here to change you, make you mad or angry. I am here to try and understand you and speak with honesty. I simply don't care if you understand me.

Peace. Maybe it is best we both ignore each other along w/many others.