July Movies: Star Trek, Jason Bourne, BFG, and Tarzan

The Summer movie season continues on with it's diverse group of entertainment. Action, comedy, horror and family entertainment are all here this month. Two particular franchises will be the biggest draws this month.

Paramount continues it's gigantic sci-fi/adventure series, with "Star Trek Beyond", this time out J.J. Abrams moves from director to producer. The USS Enterprise crew explores the furthest reaches of uncharted space, where they encounter a mysterious new enemy who puts them and everything the Federation stands for to the test. The popularity of this "new" Star Trek story line and cast is undeniable, even if there is a divide amongst the die hard Trekkies. Starring Chris Pine, Karl Urban, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Simon Pegg, Anton Yelchin, John Cho, Shoreh Aghdashloo, Sofia Boutella, & Idris Elba.

Universal, Matt Damon, and director Paul Greengrass, bring us the fourth movie in the Bourne franchise with, "Jason Bourne". Jason Bourne, now remembering who he truly is, tries to uncover hidden truths about his past. Also starring Tommy Lee Jones, Julia Stiles & Alicia Vikander.

Disney's mammoth year at the box office, is looking to continue that trend with an under-the-radar family film, which happens to be directed by Steven Spielberg, in the form of "The BFG". Based on the children's book by Roald Dahl, A girl named Sophie encounters the Big Friendly Giant who, despite his intimidating appearance, turns out to be a kindhearted soul who is considered an outcast by the other giants because, unlike them, he refuses to eat children. Starring Mark Rylance, Ruby Barnhill, Penelope Wilton & Jemaine Clement.

Warner Bros. brings back one of the most famous story characters ever, in the re-telling of, "The Legend of Tarzan". Tarzan, having acclimated to life in London, is called back to his former home in the jungle to investigate the activities at a mining encampment. Starring Alexander Skarsgard, Samuel L. Jackson, Margot Robbie, Djimon Honsou & Christoph Waltz. Directed by David Yates.

20th Century Fox bring it's 4th sequel to the prehistoric franchise: "Ice Age: Collision Course". Manny, Diego, and Sid join up with Buck to fend off a meteor strike that would destroy the world. Starring the voices of Ray Romano, John Leguizamo, Denis Leary, Simon Pegg, Jennifer Lopez, Queen Latifah & Melissa Rauch.

Universal, 20th Century Fox & Illumination Entertainment, bring us the animated "Secret Life of Pets". Taking place in a Manhattan apartment building, Max's life as a favorite pet is turned upside down, when his owner brings home a sloppy mongrel named Duke. They have to put their quarrels behind when they find out that an adorable white bunny named Snowball is building an army of lost pets determined to take revenge. Starring the voices of Jenny Slate, Albert Brooks, Kevin Hart, Ellie Kemper, Steve Coogan & Dana Carvey.

Bryan Cranston stars in, "The Infiltrator". A U.S. Customs official uncovers a money laundering scheme involving Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar. Also starring John Leguizamo, Diane Kruger & Amy Ryan.

Zaqc Efron & Adam Devine star in, "Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates". Two brothers place an online ad to find dates for a wedding and the ad goes viral. Also starring Anna Kendrick & Aubrey Plaza.

Mila Kunis & Kristen Bell star in "Bad Moms". When three overworked and under-appreciated moms are pushed beyond their limits, they ditch their conventional responsibilities for a jolt of long overdue freedom, fun, and comedic self-indulgence. Also starring Kathryn Hahn, Jada Pinkett Smith & Christina Applegate.

Melissa McCarthy & Kristen Wiig star in "Ghostbusters". Four women combat ghosts that are rising up all over the city. Also starring Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones, Elizabeth Perkins, Andy Garcia & Chris Hemsworth.

The low budget thriller franchise, The Purge, continues with "The Purge: Election Year". Years after sparing the man who killed his son, former police sergeant Barnes has become head of security for Senator Charlie Roan, a Presidential candidate targeted for death on Purge night due to her vow to eliminate the Purge. Starring Frank Grillo, Elizabeth Mitchell, Mykelti Williamson & Joseph Julian Soria.

In "Lights Out". A woman is haunted by a creature that only appears when the lights go out. Starring Teresa Palmer, Gabriel Bateman, Alexander DiPersia, Maria Bello & Billy Burke.

Woody Allen directs, "Cafe Society", Set in the 1930s, a young Bronx native moves to Hollywood where he falls in love with the secretary of his powerful uncle, an agent to the stars. After returning to New York he is swept up in the vibrant world of high society nightclub life. Starring Jesse Eisenberg, Steve Carell, Blake Lively, Sheryl Lee, Todd Weeks, Paul Schackman & Kristen Stewart.

Finally in "Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie". Edina and Patsy are still oozing glitz and glamor, living the high life they are accustomed to; shopping, drinking and clubbing their way around London's trendiest hot-spots. Blamed for a major incident at an uber fashionable launch party, they become entangled in a media storm and are relentlessly pursued by the paparazzi. Starring Joanna Lumley, Jennifer Saunders, Gwendoline Christie, Rebel Wilson, Jon Hamm & Sadie Frost.

Calendar with Trailers

7/1

"The Legend of Tarzan": http://legendoftarzan.com/

"The BFG": http://movies.disney.com/the-bfg

"The Purge: Election Year": http://www.thepurgeelectionyear.com/

7/8

"The Secret Life of Pets": http://www.thesecretlifeofpets.com/

"Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates": http://www.foxmovies.com/movies/mike-and-dave-need-wedding-dates

7/13

"The Infiltrator": http://www.theinfiltrator.com/

7/15

"Ghostbusters": http://www.ghostbusters.com/

7/22

"Star Trek Beyond" http://www.startrekmovie.com/

"Lights Out": http://www.lightsoutmovie.com/#

"Ice Age: Collision Course": http://www.foxmovies.com/movies/ice-age-collision-course

"Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie": http://www.foxmovies.com/movies/ice-age-collision-course

7/29

"Bad Moms": http://stxmovies.com/badmoms/

"Jason Bourne": http://www.jasonbournemovie.com/

"Cafe Society": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2296493081?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_1

That's all for now.....Enjoy!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like BFG is a bomb despite being liked by the few people who watched it. (Why did they have to make the giant so butt ugly?)

Tarzan is going to lose money because the studio spent more on advertising than production. (a friend described it as a 2hr male strip-tease)

Bourne is another vomit inducing shaky-cam monstrosity.

Star Trek looks like a decent pop-corn film.

Finally, a plethora of animated family movies that I have to convince my nephew to see, otherwise I'll look like a pervert if I try to watch it alone.

...and I will rooster punch anyone I meet who pays to see Ghostbusters. In fact, I will be willing to pirate that movie for anyone who can't resist the urge to see the train wreck.

I think we've already run out of good movies this year.

Edited by unbillievable

Even though ERB fan skipping Tarzan.

Looking forward to Star Trek - hope they put something extra in for Anton Yelchin, maybe mid credits.

Will see Ice Age even if my daughter does not want to go.

Tarzan, Pets and Bourne are wait for it on cable.

...and I will rooster punch anyone I meet who pays to see Ghostbusters. In fact, I will be willing to pirate that movie for anyone who can't resist the urge to see the train wreck.

That seems a touch extreme, how do you know it's going to be a train wreck? The creatives behind the film have a good track record, the cast all are funny. I get and share the opinion that a reboot of it was unnecessary but there's a high likelihood of the movie being quite funny.

That seems a touch extreme, how do you know it's going to be a train wreck? The creatives behind the film have a good track record, the cast all are funny. I get and share the opinion that a reboot of it was unnecessary but there's a high likelihood of the movie being quite funny.

Paul Feig is not Harold Ramis.

The trailers inspire little confidence. The humor feels forced and in your face, not as subtle and clever as in the original film.

Venkeman: "You're right, no human being would stack books like this."

Venkeman: "Egon, this reminds me of the time you tried to drill a hole through your head. Do you remember that?"

Spangler: "That would have worked, if you hadn't stopped me."

Stantz: "Of course you forget Peter, I was present at an unexplained, unexpected mass sponge migration."

Venkeman: "Oh, Ray. The sponges migrated about a foot-and-a-half."

Zeddemore: "Tell him about the Twinkie."

Venkeman(Concerned): "What about the Twinkie?"

Dana/Zuul (Zuul voice): "There is no Dana, only Zuul!"

Venkeman: "What a lovely singing voice you must have."

Louis/Vince: "Wait for the sign, then our prisoners will be released." "YOU WILL PERISH IN FLAMES!"

Driver: "What an !@#$."

Venkeman: "If I'm wrong, nothing happens! We go to jail. Peacefully, quietly, we'll enjoy it! But, if I'm right, and we can stop this thing. (Pause) Lenny! You will have saved the lives, of millions of registered voters."

Also in one of the trailers we see a ghost spewing ecto-plasm at one of the characters. I didn't know that ecto-plasm was a weapon.

There's something about this movie that just feels wrong on many levels.

Looks like BFG is a bomb despite being liked by the few people who watched it. (Why did they have to make the giant so butt ugly?)

Tarzan is going to lose money because the studio spent more on advertising than production. (a friend described it as a 2hr male strip-tease)

Bourne is another vomit inducing shaky-cam monstrosity.

Star Trek looks like a decent pop-corn film.

Finally, a plethora of animated family movies that I have to convince my nephew to see, otherwise I'll look like a pervert if I try to watch it alone.

I think we've already run out of good movies this year.

Which animated movie are you more interested in, Pets or Ice Age?

Don't give up hope, I think there are still some good movies out there for the rest of the year.

Which animated movie are you more interested in, Pets or Ice Age?

Don't give up hope, I think there are still some good movies out there for the rest of the year.

Pets and sausage party are probably the only two animated movies I'll watch. Ice Age is a rental.

There's something about this movie that just feels wrong on many levels.

It's a money grab pushing a feminist agenda that manages to #$@! over our childhoods. It's everything wrong with Hollywood.

Worst of all.. it's not funny.

That cast is funny?

The only way that cast could be less funny is if they cast Jack Black or Will Ferrell. Robin Williams' rotting corpse is funnier than that cast.

It's a money grab pushing a feminist agenda that manages to #$@! over our childhoods. It's everything wrong with Hollywood.

There it is.

That cast is funny?

The only way that cast could be less funny is if they cast Jack Black or Will Ferrell. Robin Williams' rotting corpse is funnier than that cast.

I dig McCarthy and think Wiig is outstanding. Jones is a great comic, not sure of her acting chops though and I don't know much about the SNL cast member who rounds out the cast. Hemsworth is also funny in spurts.

The movie might suck, but the hatred being thrown around because it's ladies in the lead is distasteful and unfair to the project in my opinion. I personally wouldn't have rebooted it, but DA is behind it, so it can't be that far off.

There it is.

I dig McCarthy and think Wiig is outstanding. Jones is a great comic, not sure of her acting chops though and I don't know much about the SNL cast member who rounds out the cast. Hemsworth is also funny in spurts.

The movie might suck, but the hatred being thrown around because it's ladies in the lead is distasteful and unfair to the project in my opinion. I personally wouldn't have rebooted it, but DA is behind it, so it can't be that far off.

The hatred being thrown around is because they're trying to change the characters in the franchise to push an agenda. I was open to giving it a chance when the project was a sequel continuing the story. When they changed it to reprising the roles, they proved that they cared nothing about the originals.

The fact you immediately assumed it's about the women makes you as ignorant as the director already making excuses for it's inevitable failure.

Wig is tolerable. McCarthy is insufferable, playing the same slapstick character in every movie. Jones is even worse, with a bigger mouth. Then they decided to re-shoot the same scenes, with the same plot, putting insult to injury.

Edited by unbillievable

Uh, I didn't assume. I asked and you admitted it.

That's on you.

I pointed out a few facts. You picked one and assumed that was the only reason. That's your brain on liberalism.

They started the promotion of the movie saying their purpose was to push a feminist agenda. People were skeptical, then they said they were female versions of the same four original characters; and the hate began.

When the trailers were released, it confirmed everyone's fear, and added a few more.

Edited by unbillievable

I pointed out a few facts. You picked one and assumed that was the only reason. That's your brain on liberalism.

Worst of all.. it's not funny.

If by "pointed out a few facts" means only pointing out one fact -- then I suggest you go back and take some math courses.

It's clear why you are predetermined to hate the movie and that's fine. Just own it.

They started the promotion of the movie saying their purpose was to push a feminist agenda.

False. I promise you Feig and company never said this nor felt this way. The purpose is to make money and to entertain.

How SJW and sexists take the promotion is a different discussion than stating "they" made the movie to promote feminism. "They" did not.

If by "pointed out a few facts" means only pointing out one fact -- then I suggest you go back and take some math courses.

It's clear why you are predetermined to hate the movie and that's fine. Just own it.

False. I promise you Feig and company never said this nor felt this way. The purpose is to make money and to entertain. hahahahahaaa. This line is priceless. I can't believe you were able to type it.

How SJW and sexists take the promotion is a different discussion than stating "they" made the movie to promote feminism. "They" did not.

It's also clear that you were just waiting for someone to mention women. You're so focused on that one criticism that you can't see anything else.

The very first promo photograph from the production showed an all-woman film and cast, excluding the men. They pushed the SJW agenda from the start and it turned people off. If you think that wasn't their intent, you're a fool.

People want a good movie, not to a lecture.

If you honestly don't believe Feig wasn't pushing an agenda, why would he reverse the genders of the cast? Why not just change one character? (battlestar) After several instances of backlash from audiences, you don't think he knew what would happen? Making it ALL women proves their intent.

If the point was to make money, (or entertain)why did he insist on the change despite the criticism from fans the very second the rumor was leaked? He even threatened to quit unless he was allowed to do it his way. He's stated several times how proud he was of his decision.

Then when the trailers were released, he insults his audience and dismisses all criticism as sexist. (sound familiar?) That's not how you promote a film, unless the purpose is to bring attention to his "cause." They took an iconic movie, with a predominantly male-audience and decided to market it to a small demographic of women. Do you think that's how to make money?

What do you think would happen if they had turned "fifty shades of Grey" into a story about two gay guys? Women would riot, and you'd still insist it wasn't pushing an LGBTQRS agenda.

You're so far up Hollywood's @#&% you can't see straight.

Edited by unbillievable

It's also clear that you were just waiting for someone to mention women. You're so focused on that one criticism that you can't see anything else.

The very first promo photograph from the production showed an all-woman film and cast, excluding the men. They pushed the SJW agenda from the start and it turned people off. If you think that wasn't their intent, you're a fool.

People want a good movie, not to a lecture.

If you honestly don't believe Feig wasn't pushing an agenda, why would he reverse the genders of the cast? Why not just change one character? (battlestar) After several instances of backlash from audiences, you don't think he knew what would happen? Making it ALL women proves their intent.

If the point was to make money, (or entertain)why did he insist on the change despite the criticism from fans the very second the rumor was leaked? He even threatened to quit unless he was allowed to do it his way. He's stated several times how proud he was of his decision.

Then when the trailers were released, he insults his audience and dismisses all criticism as sexist. (sound familiar?) That's not how you promote a film, unless the purpose is to bring attention to his "cause." They took an iconic movie, with a predominantly male-audience and decided to market it to a small demographic of women. Do you think that's how to make money?

What do you think would happen if they had turned "fifty shades of Grey" into a story about two gay guys? Women would riot, and you'd still insist it wasn't pushing an LGBTQRS agenda.

You're so far up Hollywood's @#&% you can't see straight.

Incorrect on all counts when it comes to their intent. I know people behind the movie. You're overreacting to an imaginary issue because you have a problem with Hollywood and / or possibly women.

Why cast all females? Because they were racing another reboot headed by Reitman and Rogan. They needed to be different to sell. Plus, Feig has a long relationship w most of the cast and McCarthy (prior to She's the Boss or whatever her last movie was called) is one of the few female comedians w box office clout.

If you want to write it off to an agenda, rather than look at the facts and the reality of how movies get made (which is different from how they are marketed -- night and day) that's your choice to look ignorant and angry for no reason.

Still, all that said, the movie might suck. Or it might not. It's just clear from your words you've made up your mind before even seeing a minute of the movie. Closed minds are usually angry minds. Thank you for proving this cliche.