Anyone get NEXUS or Global Entry pass?

We do not travel that much but partly due to exponential increase in time to go thru security, etc. I was thinking of getting NEXUS (US-Canada) or Global Entry (International) pass but one thing bothers me - an interview is required for each family member but there does not seem to be any way of having all appointments being held same day, say in a row. We only have 3 in family but for larger families this could become even a worst issue. And if one is not approved but others are it is next to useless.

Every individual who would like to apply for membership - children included and multiple applicants in one household- must create a separate account within GOES, submit a separate application, and schedule a separate interview appointment upon conditional approval.

I've got Nexus (cheapest of the three programs and gives you all the benefits) but only downside is you have to go to a Canadian Border crossing for the final interviews. I scheduled for the Champlain, NY location. On the US side you meet with both US and Canadian agents, plus get your fingerprints taken. Then you cross over to the Canadian side for the iris scan. Because you cross the border to finish the process, everyone needs appropriate documentation (passports, etc) to do that also. Appointment times you set yourself, but you may need to plan on scheduling them several months out to get three at about the same time.

K-A,

I travel internationally quite a bit and got Global Entry a while back. Then decided to get it for my wife and kids. Was able to arrange the interview on the same day for all of them; back-to-back-to-back. It was a while back but I believe I was able to call the airport office to assist with scheduling. One of the best programs: 5 minutes through customs along with TSA-precheck on every domestic flight. Even if you only take a couple of international flights over the five years, the expense is well worth it in the time savings you will get through customs. My wife has been able to travel with me on business a couple of times and she was shocked and relieved at the time difference through customs. Not certain about every US international airport but at Dulles you also receive priority baggage check through TSA after you have gone through customs and picked up your checked baggage.

K-A,

I travel internationally quite a bit and got Global Entry a while back. Then decided to get it for my wife and kids. Was able to arrange the interview on the same day for all of them; back-to-back-to-back. It was a while back but I believe I was able to call the airport office to assist with scheduling. One of the best programs: 5 minutes through customs along with TSA-precheck on every domestic flight. Even if you only take a couple of international flights over the five years, the expense is well worth it in the time savings you will get through customs. My wife has been able to travel with me on business a couple of times and she was shocked and relieved at the time difference through customs. Not certain about every US international airport but at Dulles you also receive priority baggage check through TSA after you have gone through customs and picked up your checked baggage.

So how long from start to finish did it take? My wife and daughter are visited family in Hong Kong for Christmas but I will not be able to get that much time off.

So how long from start to finish did it take? My wife and daughter are visited family in Hong Kong for Christmas but I will not be able to get that much time off.

Once you have the interview, unless you screw the pooch, they approve you right then. You then have the global entry and TSA number to add to your reservations, and you get a card a few weeks later.

You never need the card when passing through customs. You just need your passport. Entering the US is a fingerprint scan, an automated photo, and a few checkmarks on a screen. Takes less than 60 seconds at customs using a machine. The longest I've waited in line entering the US is 3 minutes.

If you get a new passport (or run out of room for stamps!), you can transfer your global entry to the new passport.

My wife and daughter scheduled their interviews on the same day, same time. Not a problem. The interview is about 5 minutes.

I got GlobalEntry a little while back. It was a piece of cake. After entering all the required info online, I scheduled a meeting at the Salt Lake airport. The entire meeting took maybe 5-10 minutes max. A few questions and a photo was taken. Got my card in the mail a week or two later.

Customs coming back from Europe was awesome -- just bypass the long lines and use the kiosks. Plus, TSA PreCheck is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

We do not travel that much but partly due to exponential increase in time to go thru security, etc. I was thinking of getting NEXUS (US-Canada) or Global Entry (International) pass but one thing bothers me - an interview is required for each family member but there does not seem to be any way of having all appointments being held same day, say in a row. We only have 3 in family but for larger families this could become even a worst issue. And if one is not approved but others are it is next to useless.

I'm fairly certain the wife and kids (all minors) had their interviews at the same time. I'm also fairly certain we did everything at the whirlpool bridge customs, where the interviews were.

I would also add that it depends on where you cross most often. The Peace bridge is not advantageous when it's really busy because you can't get to the Nexus lane until you've crossed the bridge, Going both ways. We are experiencing more often that the Nexus lane is longer than regular lanes, though that changes in the summer.

I just don't leave the house anymore.

Not that I'm scared to. It's just not worth the hassle.

This increases my suspicion that you are not a real person....

We flew into Chicago from Frankfurt last year. Our flight was early which really maxed out Customs. Fortunately they recognized the problem and allowed everyone in line to use Global Entry. It was very nice but since we only leave the USA once a year, not worth the cost or red tape for us.

I got GlobalEntry a little while back. It was a piece of cake. After entering all the required info online, I scheduled a meeting at the Salt Lake airport. The entire meeting took maybe 5-10 minutes max. A few questions and a photo was taken. Got my card in the mail a week or two later.

Ditto... It was easy worth getting it for pre-check alone