Big difference in attitude from two DL tagged.

In the case of BOTH of these guys, they're not even doing that. They're refusing to sign a franchise tag tender. They're not holding out on a contract that they already signed in the past. I understand the purpose of the franchise and transitional tags, but maybe it's time the NFL thinks about getting rid of it. Negotiate the extension before your deal is up or the player goes to free agency. A little more of supply and demand.

In all seriousness, what changes if they never sign it?

And they'd have to just struggle by on the $10 million they earned in the tag year on top of the millions they earned under the original contract. Horrors.

It can take years for baseball teams to recover from a bad contract or two. It's a terrible system.

Again the players need to do what's best for them and I have no issue with them using whatever means necessary to get the most money for them.

I agree with Koolaid. A contract is a contract. What ever happened to integraty? These guys sign a contract and than want more a couple of years later. They know what they are getting into when they enter the NFL. Most have signing bonuses. Only in America could you get a job like that for millions. Let them cry.

Then why don't the teams honor these so called contracts when a player gets hurt of their performance isn't what the team hoped for? Why didn't the Bills honor Mario Williams contract? Or McKelvin's contract? Do they lack integrity?

It is a team sport and the NFLPA, their representatives, signed agreement with NFL to allow tagging. IMO players should sign tag and play but I understand others think players should welsh out of agreements and have their agent give advice like Eugene Parker: "Refuse to show up, sign either right before season starts or after 10 weeks to get your year in and pretend to be injured by something hard to diagnose like Plantar Fasciitis to minimize risk; if they tag you again repeat."

I'm not sure what "welching out of agreements" means in this context? If the player hasn't signed his tag, what is the agreement? He has no agreement.

The other side of the fence is that if a player is tagged and shows up to OTAs/minicamp/training camp and gets injured, good-bye to their chances of a good contract. So I think it's very understandable that the players don't want (or their agents advise them not to) play until they have to.

In all seriousness, what changes if they never sign it?

They can't play football that year

It is a team sport and the NFLPA, their representatives, signed agreement with NFL to allow tagging. IMO players should sign tag and play but I understand others think players should welsh out of agreements and have their agent give advice like Eugene Parker: "Refuse to show up, sign either right before season starts or after 10 weeks to get your year in and pretend to be injured by something hard to diagnose like Plantar Fasciitis to minimize risk; if they tag you again repeat."

Von Miller:

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/denver-broncos-von-miller-will-not-sit-out-over-contract-061516

When asked if a holdout was a possibility during an interview with Chelsea Handler, Miller flatly said, "No."
Miller is still holding out hope that the two sides can come to an agreement before the July 15 deadline.
"We still have a month," he said. "I just can't see myself with any other team. My boys -- T.J. Ward, Aqib Talib, Kayvon Webster, DeMarcus Ware. All those guys, I built very, very close relationships with those guys, and I would like to continue to build that for the rest of my career."

They're not so different. Today, Von Miller posted "I love my Teammates, Coaches, and My Fans" but there is "No Chance" I play the 2016 season under the Franchise tag." on Instagram. Guess we will see what happens.

Guess his agent had a chat with him

Me too...it would be a different story if the players had fully guaranteed contracts like other sports but they don't. Teams can sign the contracts and not honor them so why do the players get thrown under the bus by fans when they try and do the same thing?

You are making stuff up - part of contract is ability to cut people. How and when is was agreed to by NFLPA. Because you do not like it does not make it not honoring them.

Again the players need to do what's best for them and I have no issue with them using whatever means necessary to get the most money for them.

Then why don't the teams honor these so called contracts when a player gets hurt of their performance isn't what the team hoped for? Why didn't the Bills honor Mario Williams contract? Or McKelvin's contract? Do they lack integrity?

Because part of agreement is ability to be cut including injury settlements. Players can quit NFL and have to repay portion of signing bonus(es) and even Barry Sanders had to although each year he'd say maybe I will unretire and only paid back bonus year by year.

You are making stuff up - part of contract is ability to cut people. How and when is was agreed to by NFLPA.

Because part of agreement is ability to be cut including injury settlements.

Yes, and another part of the CBA is that a player can refuse to sign a franchise tag tender. So how are these guys "not honoring the contract" by refusing to sign one?

I agree with Koolaid. A contract is a contract. What ever happened to integraty? These guys sign a contract and than want more a couple of years later. They know what they are getting into when they enter the NFL. Most have signing bonuses. Only in America could you get a job like that for millions. Let them cry.

It would be interesting to hear your opinion regarding when a team approaches a player to restructure their contract.

Teams do not have any loyalty and neither should players. They should get every penny they possibly can get while healthy. The only people they owe anything to is their families.

players don't care for the teams either. And they sign the contracts knowing what they get in to. Too many are just whiny babies not man enough to stand behind their signature

Nor do I, but you seem to be saying the system should be changed to give them fully guaranteed contracts.

Nor do I, but you seem to be saying the system should be changed to give them fully guaranteed contracts.

I think that's what the players should fight for but I have no issue with them using all the tools available to them in the current system which includes not signing a franchise offer. They can chose not to play if they want.

I think that's what the players should fight for but I have no issue with them using all the tools available to them in the current system which includes not signing a franchise offer. They can chose not to play if they want.

Every tool including not playing by faking injuries?

When you are turning down a huge contract and being stingy and stubborn like Von Miller with the Broncos. It is that you need to be a team player. And it is not money but it is about being a team player. And you would do anything for the team. Money or not. It is a business Von!