Is it time for OSHA to get involved?

iinii

"There was a time in which the NFL might have been able to get ahead of this story. The league's administration certainly had a moral obligation to do so. After all, this wasn’t burying some players who got caught buying weed, and it wasn’t peddling influence to sucker some rubes into footing the bill for a new stadium. This was a workplace-safety issue that, handled correctly, would have gone a long way toward allaying the suspicion that the NFL looked at its players as just so many disposable commodities."

And do...what? Tell players not to play? Encourage congress to outlaw tackle football?

Any CTE researcher will concede that it is most likely that any NFL player who suffers from CTE arrived at rookie training camp already with the disease. Why is the NCAA getting a free ride on this issue?

Let's say the NFL gave money for research, no questions asked and with no demands (none of their bad behavior in this regard altered any science anyway, and they would hardly be the first private donor to research that had a vested interest in the outcome of that research)--what would have changed? NFL players don't care about the news that getting hit in the head a lot can cause brain damage (RIP Ali..). In fact, when an NFL player retires "early", it's so rare that it makes headlines.

If pro football, and specifically NFL football, is the cause of CTE, why would this news alter the decisions of parents regarding their kids playing football? They certainly know their kid has no chance to play pro ball, and only slightly better chance to play college ball.

Has this writer gotten his labia in a knot over the fact that cigarettes are still legally sold in this country? Probably not.

The NFL isn't the only sport or reason why cte exists. RIP Dave Mirra ,pro bmx rider, was found to have CTE. I don't feel like CTE is an NFL problem but I do feel they should be part of the solution if one can be found. I wonder if Laila will submit RIP Muhammad Ali's body for testing?

Make jokes, bury your head in the sand, blame others. Virtually every other occupation has guidelines to avoid destroying employees lives, not always adhered to, but none the less they exist.

I recently had the pleasure of being around some ex-pros who had won the Heisman and there were rumblings about how Tony Dorsett needs a handler so he doesn't just wander off these days. He is far from the only one, but go ahead and have your fun there is nothing to see here.

Edited by iinii

Make jokes, bury your head in the sand, blame others. Virtually every other occupation has guidelines to avoid destroying employees lives, not always adhered to, but none the less they exist.

I recently had the pleasure of being around some ex-pros who had won the Heisman and there were rumblings about how Tony Dorsett needs a handler so he doesn't just wander off these days. He is far from the only one, but go ahead and have your fun there is nothing to see here.

I do not have any idea how the slow moving , but strong behemoth OSHA is involved with the NFL.

How do you provide worker safety when the Occupation demands extreme levels of sacrifice ?

Being aware of the past helps improve the future ideally.

Be aware how long worker safety has been around ?

If i was OSHA ? I would just shut it down. Give everyone a new Playstation and a lifetime subscription to Madden.

Some are not designed to be fungi. And Madden without players to hype each year would fade away.

who gets the bus?

"There was a time in which the NFL might have been able to get ahead of this story. The league's administration certainly had a moral obligation to do so. After all, this wasn’t burying some players who got caught buying weed, and it wasn’t peddling influence to sucker some rubes into footing the bill for a new stadium. This was a workplace-safety issue that, handled correctly, would have gone a long way toward allaying the suspicion that the NFL looked at its players as just so many disposable commodities."

If pro football, and specifically NFL football, is the cause of CTE, why would this news alter the decisions of parents regarding their kids playing football? They certainly know their kid has no chance to play pro ball, and only slightly better chance to play college ball.

How many people bought lottery tickets last weekend?

That's the only time I've ever felt like a team should be held civilly liable for exposing a player to further injury............how the Bills medical staff passed that guy is beyond me.

quoting #Badol here. Just for the record

And do...what? Tell players not to play? Encourage congress to outlaw tackle football?

Any CTE researcher will concede that it is most likely that any NFL player who suffers from CTE arrived at rookie training camp already with the disease. Why is the NCAA getting a free ride on this issue?

Let's say the NFL gave money for research, no questions asked and with no demands (none of their bad behavior in this regard altered any science anyway, and they would hardly be the first private donor to research that had a vested interest in the outcome of that research)--what would have changed? NFL players don't care about the news that getting hit in the head a lot can cause brain damage (RIP Ali..). In fact, when an NFL player retires "early", it's so rare that it makes headlines.

Has this writer gotten his labia in a knot over the fact that cigarettes are still legally sold in this country? Probably not.

Good points Weo. The sad thing is it's even beyond NCAA and the NFL. To understand people with developing CTE, you can imagine High School and even Pop Warner could be the genesis of their developing condition. It's a complicated problem, and the NFL is not Lilly white, but not until now where they are teaching heads up football is it even modestly helpful. I was happy to see my eldest son had a concussion in lacrosse last Spring, and the protocols forced him to go to USF Neurology, where they have a protocol and he was out for almost three weeks. They wouldn't let him workout, and it was minor. My point is not happy my son was hurt for some wise guy who wants to comment, but just that sports is starting to respond at a much younger age.

Youth Football is like a religion down here in FL, and y friends who are coaches are given the riot act they have to take it seriously, or could be held personally responsible. It's what is needed to save these sports. I know many of us grew up in a different time, where in one collision in wrestling they had to give me smelling salts, and I threw up hours later that night and was sensitive to light for a couple of days. I dealt with it, but glad coaches are no wrecklessly putting kids in greater harm.

Some are not designed to be fungi. And Madden without players to hype each year would fade away.

Speaking for myself, I'd much rather Madden go retro. I'd love playing the '68 Jets at the '81 Chargers, or the '77 Raiders vs the '68 Packers.

I couldn't care less about playing Madden with current players.

But I'm trapped in a time-warp..

As for CTE, it's real and most -if not all- NFLers likely suffer from it. I think one reason the League is dragging this out is because the answer lies in a completely re-designed uniform using a uni-body chest/headgear design- where the head freely moves inside and doesn't absorb impact. It will completely remove personal player identity and will look like robots crashing into each other playing football.

I see this coming to a gridiron near you, soon.

Good points Weo. The sad thing is it's even beyond NCAA and the NFL. To understand people with developing CTE, you can imagine High School and even Pop Warner could be the genesis of their developing condition. It's a complicated problem, and the NFL is not Lilly white, but not until now where they are teaching heads up football is it even modestly helpful. I was happy to see my eldest son had a concussion in lacrosse last Spring, and the protocols forced him to go to USF Neurology, where they have a protocol and he was out for almost three weeks. They wouldn't let him workout, and it was minor. My point is not happy my son was hurt for some wise guy who wants to comment, but just that sports is starting to respond at a much younger age.

Youth Football is like a religion down here in FL, and y friends who are coaches are given the riot act they have to take it seriously, or could be held personally responsible. It's what is needed to save these sports. I know many of us grew up in a different time, where in one collision in wrestling they had to give me smelling salts, and I threw up hours later that night and was sensitive to light for a couple of days. I dealt with it, but glad coaches are no wrecklessly putting kids in greater harm.

Most experts seem to agree it's not the number of concussions, but the innumerable hits that jar the brain and cause CTE. There is no protocol the NFL (or any other entity) can or could have enforced to prevent CTE. The NFL receives these guys as they are--already damaged.

The suggestion that OSHA (of all things) could have some meaningful input in this discussion is inappropriate.

Is cte even still a think? Such a money chase. NASCAR guys have it, action sports guys have it, regular men have it...

But quick, the NFL has lots of money. Let's bastardize them and exploit more money than fuss when prices go up or they sign a $1b commercial spot. Let's forget the NBA and MLB, who Shirley have guys playing with this. Anyone see Kevin Love the other night? Let's forget the NCAA... until someone says they get millions for football merchandise, then we can forget they spend millions on cross country, the Biathalon, or water polo. Yeah!

Most experts seem to agree it's not the number of concussions, but the innumerable hits that jar the brain and cause CTE. There is no protocol the NFL (or any other entity) can or could have enforced to prevent CTE. The NFL receives these guys as they are--already damaged.

The suggestion that OSHA (of all things) could have some meaningful input in this discussion is inappropriate.

Do you know what OSHA stands for? Maybe the NFL or The SEC or Big 10 should be in charge so the golden goose doesn't turn bronze. Maybe it should be left up to individuals and teams, kind of like in the past. Maybe Star and Briles should oversee this. They have shown us appropriate behavioral norms at every step justify winning and who cares if anyone gets hurt. Is that it WEO?

Is cte even still a think? Such a money chase. NASCAR guys have it, action sports guys have it, regular men have it...

But quick, the NFL has lots of money. Let's bastardize them and exploit more money than fuss when prices go up or they sign a $1b commercial spot. Let's forget the NBA and MLB, who Shirley have guys playing with this. Anyone see Kevin Love the other night? Let's forget the NCAA... until someone says they get millions for football merchandise, then we can forget they spend millions on cross country, the Biathalon, or water polo. Yeah!

Everybody is doing it Mom.....so it must be okay.

3. I think Ive always admired Hall of Fame linebacker Harry Carson for his post-career dedication to the long-term head-trauma issues that plague so many former players. Now Carson has engaged a group of doctors and concussion victims to discuss the impact of concussions and lesser hits to the head. On Monday, Carson and his group of experts will give an educational program to media members at NYU Langone Medical Center in Manhattan at 10 a.m. Education is so important in this area, Carson said. What we want to do is make sure the people who cover sports know the seriousness of what theyre dealing with.

From MMQB

So, the answer is to blame the big, bad NFL? To what purpose? Since you're on your soapbox let's get osha involved in all levels of every sport, let's legislate every aspect of sport & everyday life because you can't be too careful.

I'd suggest that you are the one who is burying his head (careful that's known to cause CTE) in the sand.

Do you know what OSHA stands for? Maybe the NFL or The SEC or Big 10 should be in charge so the golden goose doesn't turn bronze. Maybe it should be left up to individuals and teams, kind of like in the past. Maybe Star and Briles should oversee this. They have shown us appropriate behavioral norms at every step justify winning and who cares if anyone gets hurt. Is that it WEO?

Everybody is doing it Mom.....so it must be okay.

3. I think Ive always admired Hall of Fame linebacker Harry Carson for his post-career dedication to the long-term head-trauma issues that plague so many former players. Now Carson has engaged a group of doctors and concussion victims to discuss the impact of concussions and lesser hits to the head. On Monday, Carson and his group of experts will give an educational program to media members at NYU Langone Medical Center in Manhattan at 10 a.m. Education is so important in this area, Carson said. What we want to do is make sure the people who cover sports know the seriousness of what theyre dealing with.

From MMQB

there are experts proclaiming vaccines cause autism and that Beerball is a man.

There simply isn't enough bona fide knowledge on CTE yet. No conclusive studies, no definitive tests of levels of CTE, no ways to even detect it.

Before my panties get in a was over the most recent #mediamadenews I'll wait for science. Because science is pretty damn cool and often corrects the BS spun by media, celebraties and governments! Climate change! Yeah!

So, the answer is to blame the big, bad NFL? To what purpose? Since you're on your soapbox let's get osha involved in all levels of every sport, let's legislate every aspect of sport & everyday life because you can't be too careful.

I'd suggest that you are the one who is burying his head (careful that's known to cause CTE) in the sand.

So the N.F.L is not culpable? Who or what am I hiding from?

there are experts proclaiming vaccines cause autism and that Beerball is a man.

There simply isn't enough bona fide knowledge on CTE yet. No conclusive studies, no definitive tests of levels of CTE, no ways to even detect it.

Before my panties get in a was over the most recent #mediamadenews I'll wait for science. Because science is pretty damn cool and often corrects the BS spun by media, celebraties and governments! Climate change! Yeah!

So science proving global warming is flawed? Edited by iinii

To understand people with developing CTE, you can imagine High School and even Pop Warner could be the genesis of their developing condition.

Yup. And OSHA has no jurisdiction over any level of football where the players aren't being paid as employees. (It could be argued that OSHA could enforce against D-1 schools who do pay their players).

I do not have any idea how the slow moving , but strong behemoth OSHA is involved with the NFL.

How do you provide worker safety when the Occupation demands extreme levels of sacrifice ?

Being aware of the past helps improve the future ideally.

Be aware how long worker safety has been around ?

If i was OSHA ? I would just shut it down. Give everyone a new Playstation and a lifetime subscription to Madden.

As the writer stated, it's the deception and continuing misrepresentation of risk that's the primary issue here. The huge smoking lawsuits were, in part, due to the tobacco companies denying the inherent risk of smoking. Those companies employed the same tactics as the NFL in denying the science. Notably, a big difference with tobacco was the addictive nature of nicotine.

I've seen people's bodies broken down by a lifetime of jobs demanding physical labor. That's part of the reality of life. But people aren't free to make informed decisions about the risks inherient to those jobs when companies lie about them. It's one thing to go to work in an auto factory and know you're going to have aches and pains when you're older, but know it's worth it to provide a good life for your family. It's another to go to work in an auto foundry thinking the same thing, but wind up dead 25 years early because of the supposedly safe asbestos you were working with. I have several family members in the former category and one who died 5 years ago last week in the latter.

This sort of thing has happened over and over in our country. Lead in paint and gasoline went through the same cycle of industry lies and faked science to maintain profits.

That's where we are here with the NFL, although certainly on a much smaller scale population-wise. Players can make huge money and have a celebrity life playing football (though many don't) and that's certainly worth some degree of risk. But they deserve to have an honest accounting of what that risk is. The NFL is opening itself up to major liability by lying about those risks and that puts the game itself in jeopardy.

So the N.F.L is not culpable? Who or what am I hiding from? So science proving global warming is flawed?

not any more culpable than any other organization you care to name. My daughter fell off her HS stage and sustained a nasty concussion. Ban all HS band and theater productions too?

not any more culpable than any other organization you care to name. My daughter fell off her HS stage and sustained a nasty concussion. Ban all HS band and theater productions too?

How early do you actually start drinking?

So the N.F.L is not culpable? Who or what am I hiding from?

So science proving global warming is flawed?

science has proven neither is cte linked directly to football nor is the impact of what is climate change/global warming/etc.

When science is incomplete it cannot be used to derive any information. Only those looking to campaign, crusade and usually seek to get a financial windfall support such gross negligent information.

Exactly. The NFL is the mother load for the laywers. Many probably got it before NFL and there are still NFL players who do things which may contribute toward it while in NFL. Until there is a standard and a pre-death test for it which all players need to take before they can play in NFL with appropriate waivers this will become unsurmountable.

As for CTE, it's real and most -if not all- NFLers likely suffer from it. I think one reason the League is dragging this out is because the answer lies in a completely re-designed uniform using a uni-body chest/headgear design- where the head freely moves inside and doesn't absorb impact. It will completely remove personal player identity and will look like robots crashing into each other playing football.

I see this coming to a gridiron near you, soon.

I do not see most -if not all- having it unless it is as common in regular population. It is probably like smoking where certain make you more vulnerable or less vulnerable to it. George Burns smoked regularly to age 100 and had no cancer issues but others are affected with much less use. Diet is probably an issue and exercise was well especially for the post-NFL players. Drugs certainly make the barrier in brain weaker and lots of NFL players have drug issues.

Band and theater should be illegal! The number of kids who grow up dreaming of being in a stage production on Broadway is appalling. And the toll it is taking on them emotionally, physically and mentally is criminal! The hang nails alone are so numerous I can't believe no one has noticed.

Yup. And OSHA has no jurisdiction over any level of football where the players aren't being paid as employees. (It could be argued that OSHA could enforce against D-1 schools who do pay their players).

Enforce what, exactly?

As the writer stated, it's the deception and continuing misrepresentation of risk that's the primary issue here. The huge smoking lawsuits were, in part, due to the tobacco companies denying the inherent risk of smoking. Those companies employed the same tactics as the NFL in denying the science. Notably, a big difference with tobacco was the addictive nature of nicotine.

I've seen people's bodies broken down by a lifetime of jobs demanding physical labor. That's part of the reality of life. But people aren't free to make informed decisions about the risks inherient to those jobs when companies lie about them. It's one thing to go to work in an auto factory and know you're going to have aches and pains when you're older, but know it's worth it to provide a good life for your family. It's another to go to work in an auto foundry thinking the same thing, but wind up dead 25 years early because of the supposedly safe asbestos you were working with. I have several family members in the former category and one who died 5 years ago last week in the latter.

This sort of thing has happened over and over in our country. Lead in paint and gasoline went through the same cycle of industry lies and faked science to maintain profits.

That's where we are here with the NFL, although certainly on a much smaller scale population-wise. Players can make huge money and have a celebrity life playing football (though many don't) and that's certainly worth some degree of risk. But they deserve to have an honest accounting of what that risk is. The NFL is opening itself up to major liability by lying about those risks and that puts the game itself in jeopardy.

What is the risk, specifically? If you are the leading scientist in the study of CTE, what would you tell any future or current NFL player their risk is of developing debilitating neurological disorders? No one knows. Players know repeated concussions are bad. But CTE researchers tell us that's not the likely cause of CTE. So what does the NFL do, other than update their liability waivers?

Band and theater should be illegal! The number of kids who grow up dreaming of being in a stage production on Broadway is appalling. And the toll it is taking on them emotionally, physically and mentally is criminal! The hang nails alone are so numerous I can't believe no one has noticed.

If you can't carry on a civil conversation then I'd recommend you drop the subject.

What is the risk, specifically? If you are the leading scientist in the study of CTE, what would you tell any future or current NFL player their risk is of developing debilitating neurological disorders? No one knows. Players know repeated concussions are bad. But CTE researchers tell us that's not the likely cause of CTE. So what does the NFL do, other than update their liability waivers?

Part of the reason no one has a great understanding of CTE is that the NFL has suppressed accurate information on the subject. They've also advanced incorrect information about football and CTE and they've attempted to sidetrack and influence independent, unbiased research on the subject. So the NFL carries a lot of blame for the lack of understanding of CTE and its link to football. Fortunately there seems to be a push toward getting real, unbiased answers.

At this time the logical response to a player worried about CTE is this: Football players are inflicted with CTE at a much higher level than the general public, so there is a correlation - and probably causality. We don't yet know the precise impact of playing football has on the risk of acquiring CTE. If we judge the impact of football on CTE by the actions of the NFL - who have gone to great lengths to obscure data and falsify research - we have to think it is severe.

Right now the NFL is doing what the tobacco and lead industries did - they're trying to keep the debate centered on whether or not there is a problem. That is important because as long as that's the argument, they can avoid moving on to the next debate - which is what to do about it. Once everyone agrees there's a link between football and CTE, the NFL has to make changes (and possibly payout some settlement cash). They're kicking that can down the road as far as they can.

Part of the reason no one has a great understanding of CTE is that the NFL has suppressed accurate information on the subject. They've also advanced incorrect information about football and CTE and they've attempted to sidetrack and influence independent, unbiased research on the subject. So the NFL carries a lot of blame for the lack of understanding of CTE and its link to football. Fortunately there seems to be a push toward getting real, unbiased answers.

At this time the logical response to a player worried about CTE is this: Football players are inflicted with CTE at a much higher level than the general public, so there is a correlation - and probably causality. We don't yet know the precise impact of playing football has on the risk of acquiring CTE. If we judge the impact of football on CTE by the actions of the NFL - who have gone to great lengths to obscure data and falsify research - we have to think it is severe.

Right now the NFL is doing what the tobacco and lead industries did - they're trying to keep the debate centered on whether or not there is a problem. That is important because as long as that's the argument, they can avoid moving on to the next debate - which is what to do about it. Once everyone agrees there's a link between football and CTE, the NFL has to make changes (and possibly payout some settlement cash). They're kicking that can down the road as far as they can.

No they aren't. The discussion about CTE is now far beyond the NFL and any influence it may have had, and has been for several years now. Any activity by the NFL to hinder research has does nothing to slow the steady release of findings. It's not really like the cigarette companies.

Also, maybe you hadn't heard, but the "paying out some cash" is already happening in the form a billion dollar fund set up by the NFL. Did you mean something else perhaps?

OK I'll play along. OSHA could enforce whatever worker safety guidelines they decided to put in place for employers of football players - none of which currently exist. Obviously I was speaking hypothetically.

Well, if they did, they would be making them up out of thin air, without the aid of science, because science has no way to avoid CTE as of now, other than forcing humans to not play football. The NFL has a concussion protocol, for what that's worth.

CTE is just another face on a very old story- contact sports can damage your body and there is no means for prevention outside of abstinence.

Ok.... Now what??

No they aren't. The discussion about CTE is now far beyond the NFL and any influence it may have had, and has been for several years now. Any activity by the NFL to hinder research has does nothing to slow the steady release of findings. It's not really like the cigarette companies.

Also, maybe you hadn't heard, but the "paying out some cash" is already happening in the form a billion dollar fund set up by the NFL. Did you mean something else perhaps?

Well, if they did, they would be making them up out of thin air, without the aid of science, because science has no way to avoid CTE as of now, other than forcing humans to not play football. (or soccer, hockey, rugby, boxing, wrestling,martial arts, baseball, bmx racing, cricket) The NFL has a concussion protocol, for what that's worth.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

No. Cut and pasted from OHSA's website

• Be trained in a language you understand
  • Work on machines that are safe
  • Be provided required safety gear, such as gloves or a harness and lifeline for falls
  • Be protected from toxic chemicals
  • Request an OSHA inspection, and speak to the inspector
  • Report an injury or illness, and get copies of your medical records
  • See copies of the workplace injury and illness log Review records of work-related injuries and illnesses
  • Get copies of test results done to find hazards in the workplace

Ya. I don't see any NFL OSHA violatations there. Innocent troll.

No. Cut and pasted from OHSA's website

• Be trained in a language you understand
  • Work on machines that are safe
  • Be provided required safety gear, such as gloves or a harness and lifeline for falls
  • Be protected from toxic chemicals
  • Request an OSHA inspection, and speak to the inspector
  • Report an injury or illness, and get copies of your medical records
  • See copies of the workplace injury and illness log Review records of work-related injuries and illnesses
  • Get copies of test results done to find hazards in the workplace

Ya. I don't see any NFL OSHA violatations there. Innocent troll.

OSHA, and live up close NFL are nearly polar opposites !!

Education is the best one can offer.

Here are the risks and here is the potential payday. Now would you rip the asbestos out of this house now?

and here is a nuisance mask for the fibers. probably be okay long term.

here is the stack of cash. pretty cool huh?

sign here and here and here and welcome to the NFL, young Man.

Edited by 3rdand12