2/3 of US would struggle to cover $1,000 crisis

Could you cover a $1,000 Emergency Expense  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Could you cover a $1,000 Emergency Expense

• Yes
    • No

So the busiest business in town is the opioid addiction clinic? I wonder if that has anything to do with their individual struggles.

These types of struggles have been going on for centuries and will continue for centuries long after we're all gone. Do you really think increasing this guys pay by a couple bucks an hour is going all of a sudden make his life enjoyable? Newsflash! It won't.

What is your point with this post?

We're supposed to feel sad I guess. I actually feel better now knowing that if I hadn't made the choices I did in life I would have likely been in the same dead end life.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, I really do feel for these folks. I do. I grew up in New York's version of Appalachia in the Southern Tier. But the world has changed. We are no longer the only country in the world capable of large-scale manufacturing because the infrastructure of the rest of the developed world has been destroyed by WWII. The problem is NOT that CEOs make $xxx. The problem is that the 'good old days' were never sustainable. They're not coming back.

The fact that these folks are lamenting their troubles while spending money in a vape shop gives some insight into this, doesn't it? I mean, the one guy talks about how one bad decision shouldn't doom him to failure (of course it shouldn't, depending on the severity of the one bad choice - nobody disagrees with that), then goes on to list at least three mistakes he's made while spending money smoking -- he's not *really* trying, is he? And I don't think anyone here is suggesting that there shouldn't be a safety net of some sort. But CEO pay has (almost) nothing to do with their lot in life.

On another note: I am not comfortable with the amount of money that CEOs make (I would honestly be embarrassed to be making the amount some of these guys make while simultaneously firing people and cutting expenses), but am TOTALLY uncomfortable with the idea that government should have ANYTHING to do with setting limits on that. If shareholders (owners) are good with it, then why shouldn't I be?

So the busiest business in town is the opioid addiction clinic? I wonder if that has anything to do with their individual struggles.

These types of struggles have been going on for centuries and will continue for centuries long after we're all gone. Do you really think increasing this guys pay by a couple bucks an hour is going all of a sudden make his life enjoyable? Newsflash! It won't.

We're supposed to feel sad I guess. I actually feel better now knowing that if I hadn't made the choices I did in life I would have likely been in the same dead end life.

We're supposed to feel bad for a guy that bought a new vehicle from the showroom, and spent $300 on his cellphone bill.

I've managed to avoid doing both of those things... must be lucky I guess.

I mean, I really do feel for these folks. I do. I grew up in New York's version of Appalachia in the Southern Tier. But the world has changed. We are no longer the only country in the world capable of large-scale manufacturing because the infrastructure of the rest of the developed world has been destroyed by WWII. The problem is NOT that CEOs make $xxx. The problem is that the 'good old days' were never sustainable. They're not coming back.

The fact that these folks are lamenting their troubles while spending money in a vape shop gives some insight into this, doesn't it? I mean, the one guy talks about how one bad decision shouldn't doom him to failure (of course it shouldn't, depending on the severity of the one bad choice - nobody disagrees with that), then goes on to list at least three mistakes he's made while spending money smoking -- he's not *really* trying, is he? And I don't think anyone here is suggesting that there shouldn't be a safety net of some sort. But CEO pay has (almost) nothing to do with their lot in life.

On another note: I am not comfortable with the amount of money that CEOs make (I would honestly be embarrassed to be making the amount some of these guys make while simultaneously firing people and cutting expenses), but am TOTALLY uncomfortable with the idea that government should have ANYTHING to do with setting limits on that. If shareholders (owners) are good with it, then why shouldn't I be?

Solid post

"If you make just one poor decision, you're screwed."

The article then goes on to list a litany of poor decisions made by this individual: he bought a new car he couldn't afford with a $265/mo. payment, his $300/mo. Verizon bill because he was streaming videos, his decision to have a second child despite not being able to handle $600/mo. for rent, the decision not to go to college and instead work at a vape shop trying to support a family as an adult, the fact that he has luxury items like a PlayStation 4 which costs around $400 and a pile of games which retail for around $60 each, the fact that despite his financial situation he doesn't have a second job and thinks he should be able to coast by on a 40 hour work week.

He made, and continues to make, the decisions which put him in this situation, and I have no sympathy for him.

of course you see egg/chicken when it most likely is chicken/egg. people self medicate when they lead lives of quiet desperation.

yes, the struggles have existed for centuries. can we do better? don't we claim to be an advanced society?

interesting that you believe better pay wouldn't help at the same time it's being argued that a few stupid expenditures that amount to a short period of time working for that better pay are the cause of these folks struggles.

yes, the struggles have existed for centuries. can we do better? don't we claim to be an advanced society?

You be the judge.

In the past Foster would have had no running water or electricity. Now, he needs to juggle paying a Verizon bill or buying X-Box games.

of course you see egg/chicken when it most likely is chicken/egg. people self medicate when they lead lives of quiet desperation.

interesting that you believe better pay wouldn't help at the same time it's being argued that a few stupid expenditures that amount to a short period of time working for that better pay are the cause of these folks struggles.

So am I to feel sorry for people that don't understand the vicious circle they've created for themselves? People don't have enough money to make their lives better so they spend what little discretionary money they have on "self medicating" instead of looking at their own lives and spending habits and seeing where they could improve their lives by spending less on non-necessities like vaping, video games and the latest cell phone package. It's simple however not easy. Most things that improve our lives are not easy.

I've done an exhaustive 15 year study on Americans and their spending/savings habits. Better pay will most likely not help this person and persons like him one bit. My study has shown that for the average American when they make more they spend more. Very rarely do they save more. That goes across all income levels.

So am I to feel sorry for people that don't understand the vicious circle they've created for themselves? People don't have enough money to make their lives better so they spend what little discretionary money they have on "self medicating" instead of looking at their own lives and spending habits and seeing where they could improve their lives by spending less on non-necessities like vaping, video games and the latest cell phone package. It's simple however not easy. Most things that improve our lives are not easy.

I've done an exhaustive 15 year study on Americans and their spending/savings habits. Better pay will most likely not help this person and persons like him one bit. My study has shown that for the average American when they make more they spend more. Very rarely do they save more. That goes across all income levels.

I'm exceptional then B-)

You may have missed my question so I'll ask again. How hard was it for you to save more money?

It was much easier when I once I making more, like now. It was impossible when I was not making very much. Of course I've never been stricken by a major medical issue--praise God--and I had a good mother who made sure I was well read and never did dumb things. I was really lucky

It was much easier when I once I making more, like now. It was impossible when I was not making very much. Of course I've never been stricken by a major medical issue--praise God--and I had a good mother who made sure I was well read and never did dumb things. I was really lucky

Luck has very little to do with it. You make your own luck.

Totally wrong. Lucky to be born in good family, good country, etc. Mitt Romney is not as rich as he is now because of his hard work only. He was born on third base to begin with.

This women I know told me about this test they do with pre-schoolers. They just hand them a book to see what they do with it. Some open it up and turn to first page and start handling it likes its suppose to be handled. Others just fumble around with it and wonder what the heck its for.

Which kids do you think were lucky enough to win the parent sweepstakes?

luck has much to do with it. there is not nearly as much upward economic mobility as most people believe. the economic strata you were born into will very, very likely be the highest strata you will obtain in your lifetime. that truth is only getting more evident with each passing year. the sperm (or womb) lottery is a really important predictor of ones financial and social destiny.

Totally wrong. Lucky to be born in good family, good country, etc. Mitt Romney is not as rich as he is now because of his hard work only. He was born on third base to begin with.

This women I know told me about this test they do with pre-schoolers. They just hand them a book to see what they do with it. Some open it up and turn to first page and start handling it likes its suppose to be handled. Others just fumble around with it and wonder what the heck its for.

Which kids do you think were lucky enough to win the parent sweepstakes?

Totally wrong? I'm sorry but there are plenty of !@#$ ups that were brought up by great parents. It's what you do with that upbringing and the choices you make along the way that determines the level of success you have.