The Return of Power Football to the NFL?

Return of Power Football? Breaking the Aerial Mold

Todd Gurley ran wild last year. Can Ezekiel Elliott or Derrick Henry follow suit? Chris Wesseling says the Rams, Cowboys and Titans are all betting on brute force in a league defined by speed and finesse.

I'm surprised the Bills and Panthers were not mentioned in the article.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Maybe he just wanted to talk about the new teams who are doing it?

SF and Seattle kind of brought the run game back into the spotlight years ago with both going to the SB.

It seems as if that's the case, but it would have been nice to acknowledge the trend that preceded those particular teams adopting the run first philosophy.

The only thing is the rules are begging you to pass. You should try throwing deep a lot because you are going to get a big play, either by reception or penalty.

Also, those run first teams are backed by top defenses. You margin for error is so much smaller if you can't throw the ball consistently well.

The only thing is the rules are begging you to pass. You should try throwing deep a lot because you are going to get a big play, either by reception or penalty.

Also, those run first teams are backed by top defenses. You margin for error is so much smaller if you can't throw the ball consistently well.

Nickel and dime coverage schemes are allowing for more success for the run game, but of course you still need diversity in an offensive attack that a passing game provides.

Maybe he just wanted to talk about the new teams who are doing it?

SF and Seattle kind of brought the run game back into the spotlight years ago with both going to the SB.

I keep saying this and keep getting shot down because our teams are not EXACTLY alike.....

But

Our team is kinda like the Seahawks.....who have been contenders for the past several years now?

- Up until this last year......a starting QB on a low salary

- Attempting to put a dominating defense on the field (yeah...things kinda fell apart there last year but that obviously WAS the plan)

- Run the ball run the ball run the ball

Those 3 team didn't even win 14 games combined last season.

baby steps

Everything in cyclical. Teams are loading up on smaller quicker defenders to match with spread passing offenses. Teams that play a smash mouth rushing offense can exploit this weakness.

The problem with run based teams is they have enormous variance in production from year to year. Also, it is harder for a run oriented team to come back from a deficit than a pass oriented team.

Everything in cyclical. Teams are loading up on smaller quicker defenders to match with spread passing offenses. Teams that play a smash mouth rushing offense can exploit this weakness.

The problem with run based teams is they have enormous variance in production from year to year. Also, it is harder for a run oriented team to come back from a deficit than a pass oriented team.

It's not if a team also quick strike capability via the threat of a deep passing game as the Bills do.

It's not if a team also quick strike capability via the threat of a deep passing game as the Bills do.

I think this feature is key honestly. and what could make Romans offense a contender for quite awhile.

If Tyrod can just turn the wick up a bit more across his skill sets Bills will be tough to defend for 60 minutes

I think this feature is key honestly. and what could make Romans offense a contender for quite awhile.

If Tyrod can just turn the wick up a bit more across his skill sets Bills will be tough to defend for 60 minutes

Absolutely! If Tyrod successfully overcomes his shortcomings, then look out!

It's called the copycat league for a reason. A team (or teams) find an advantage and exploit it. The following season, every other team tries to copy what the successful teams did the year before. The problem with this mentality is that the Bills have constantly been on the wrong side of the curve. I'm hoping the Bills are going to be on the cutting edge one of these days rather than playing catch-up. The organization under Ralph refused to change their approach even after the rule changes in the late 90s made playing defense in the secondary a near felony offense. These rule changes made it more of a passing league, something the most successful teams took advantage of but the Bills never took active steps to get ahead of that curve (ie finding a QB). That had a lot to do with the drought we're in now.

Hopefully Roman's scheme, which I do think can win in this league as it's constituted now, will be part of the "new" wave of offensive strategy -- ground and pound with deep strike capability. I say "new" because like you said nothing is really new. It's an old scheme that's taking advantage of defenses that keep nickle personnel on the field the majority of snaps. But they certainly need Taylor to take a big step this year for the offense to be truly effective.

One thing I will say regarding our passing game

We use a fullback...one of the best in the league as a matter of fact.

RARELY do we throw to our fullback....who is capable of being a receiving threat.

Would like to see that more this season.

An HB or even WR is better off lining up if you're gonna use them as a receiving threat.

One thing I will say regarding our passing game

We use a fullback...one of the best in the league as a matter of fact.

RARELY do we throw to our fullback....who is capable of being a receiving threat.

Would like to see that more this season.

Don't forget about this guy . . .

http://buildingtheherd.com/film-room/glenn-gronkowski-scouting-report/