Do the Bills Need New Medical Staff/Trainers?

Old Timer, you have some good points, but surely you can see the difference between a "sh** happens" kind of injury and a known medical risk, touted with glee by the FO as "cleared to play by the medical staff" "not concerned about his shoulder" "Day 1 Starter", who had a known injury history, and who turns out to need surgery for that very injury.

It's the same knee Ramsey injured and had surgery on in High School, which makes this possibly even worse. So a longer term and worse injury.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not nice to "play" the fans, which is what you hypothesize Whaley is doing. After so many years of futility, we don't take it kindly.

So. Maybe the medical staff is fine and the FO is trying to bullgaffle the fans, I grant that's a possibility.

We will see if this is being exaggerated by media (see Sully and Bucky) and perpetually angry fans - proof will be bags worn in preseason and opener like happened to Donahoe.

Edited by Koolaid

I heard that Jaguars 1st round pick Jalen Ramsey injured his knee in non-contact drills. How could Jackosville's medical staff have missed the obvious potential for his meniscus to tear? That is 2 years in a row that their 1st pick was injured even before the season started! Heads must roll! (Heavy sarcasm)

Clearly they need to be lectured on the Shah's spleen.

Old Timer, you have some good points, but surely you can see the difference between a "sh** happens" kind of injury and a known medical risk, touted with glee by the FO as "cleared to play by the medical staff" "not concerned about his shoulder" "Day 1 Starter", who had a known injury history, and who turns out to need surgery for that very injury.

We know that Gronkowski was considered a medical risk and that's why he fell to the 2nd round. It makes it all the more bitter that the Bills drafted Troup (who actually was a medical risk and missed 1 1/2 seasons on IR before being cut when he no longer fit the scheme) 1 pick ahead of him. If it were just Shaq's shoulder I wouldn't be worried about the medical staff/trainers. It's actually the aggregate concern about the way Troup's fractured vertebra was handled, the way Aaron Williams neck injury was handled, the way McCoy's hamstring injury was handled, a few others that slip my mind at the moment - Hogan playing with torn ligaments in his hands so severe he had horrible pain with each catch - now this. We all know playing with injury and pain is part of football, but there are still limits where you have to say "that guy could be paralyzed for life, he shouldn't be out there" or "since his job is to catch, why don't we have an effective backup, because he can't".

Maybe it's not the medical staff, maybe it's the way the GM and coaches use the information the medical staff provides them, but it sure seems there's a missing link somewhere.

I suppose that's part of my current beef, Barbarian. I haven't thought that of Whaley. I've thought he was a straight shooter, within the bounds of competitive advantage, who would actually tell it like it is.

I agree with you and OldTimer1960 that if the pick was presented as an opportunity to grab a top-of-the-1st talent in a high reward/some risk scenario, many fewer people would be upset.

It's not nice to "play" the fans, which is what you hypothesize Whaley is doing. After so many years of futility, we don't take it kindly.

So. Maybe the medical staff is fine and the FO is trying to bullgaffle the fans, I grant that's a possibility.

It has and always goes on, us peasants need not concern ourselves with royal affairs.

Hopeful - well said on the improvements in th scouting department. I've been a Whaley fan all along, but this one just got to me. It was a bad decision, and if he was fed bad information, tHen they should fire the medical staff.

I work on the business side of medicine in management so I've been in thousands of procedures with interventionalists whether it was Neuro Interventional Radiologists, or Vascular Surgeons, CT Surgeons and so on. They make mistakes and predictions ar e a guessing game with only so much certainty. Knowing the shoulder and how easily it was injured tells me they had to know it was a high risk pick, or they didn't care because they were thinking of him as a long term addition.

I'd rather hear the truth, then lie to me. There was no way this was a complete surprise or that the risk was minimal and was a fluke. How did so many other medical staffs take Lawson off their board? There's only two answers. Either the medical staff is incompetent, or the front office over reached.

I still like Whaley, and anyone can cherry pick a bad pick, but in totality he has made some good trades, drafts, and free agent pick ups. I'm just upset about this call.

There was no way this was a complete surprise or that the risk was minimal and was a fluke. How did so many other medical staffs take Lawson off their board? There's only two answers. Either the medical staff is incompetent, or the front office over reached.

I still like Whaley, and anyone can cherry pick a bad pick, but in totality he has made some good trades, drafts, and free agent pick ups. I'm just upset about this call.

I agree with the point that this was not a complete surprise. I just believe that they were making a first round draft selection for the long-term and were comfortable that the injury could be completely repaired with surgery and rehab. Did they get surprised that it flared up now? Maybe, but I would be absolutely shocked if they didn't know it was a possibility.

The first half of his rookie season is not his career.

Yes, it is disappointing that the Bills' first round pick is going to miss time this year, but that does not mean that it was a bad, stupid or Ill-informed selection. I am actually optimistic that Lawson will be even better after the injury has been corrected due to better ability to lift/train. Imagine, he played very well with a shoulder that was that bad - what can he be like with a repaired shoulder and better strength?

Edited by OldTimer1960

It may be that there was an issue but the agent told the player to downplay it until after the player was drafted.

Some issues are not easy to diagnose without patients honest input like Plantar fasciitis.

If this is so then I hope the Bills remember this when it comes to contract with player.

He should still be able participate in conditioning, nutrition and classrooms even dealing with an injury recovery.