Whaley and Rex Recap the 2016 Draft Class

Watch: Whaley and Rex Recap the 2016 Draft Class (25:51)

Bills GM Doug Whaley and head coach Rex Ryan wrapped up 2016 Draft with their takes on this year's class. They discuss the additions on defense, finding depth at QB and RB in the middle rounds, and adding a speedy receiving threat late in the draft.

@TBNSports

What They Said: Transcript of postdraft press conference w/ #Bills' Doug Whaley & Rex Ryan: http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/04/30/what-they-said-4/

ChVYp_6WgAIDwNc.jpg

Watch: Day 3 And Full Draft Recap (3:48)

John Murphy takes a look at day 3 of the Bills' draft efforts as well as the Bills' 2016 NFL Draft as a whole.

They had a plan. They executed it. I am always on the fence with Whaley, in particular what I still perceive as a big hole RT. And to a lesser extent a unproven RG.

But, I think he is growing as a GM and the move up in round 2 IMO anyways was a small price to pay to get the guy that

From his own mouth was who they wanted as early as RD.1. It really feels that Rex and Whaley are on the same page.

Unlike his former HC. A good sign, a good draft. it all on Rex now. Whaley gave him what he wanted.

Is it possible the positive news received about Henderson's Crohn's prognosis last month is better than expected and that played into the decision not to draft an OT?

GO BILLS!!!

Is it possible the positive news received about Henderson's Crohn's prognosis last month is better than expected and that played into the decision not to draft an OT?

GO BILLS!!!

I was dying for OT but the board never seemed to go that way. All the top ones went in the first and the cupboard seemed bare in terms of value until maybe the 5th or 6th. The Bills let the board come to them and took care of their needs which were a strength in this year's field. They followed the value. Next year is a whole new buffet.

I just came to the board to post this video under a thread titles "Rex's Picks".

I really hope everyone here watches this video, even if just the first 4 minutes. Rex lays out, in very plain terms, how they pick players, and how Whaley ("Whales" B-) ) is in charge.

Whaley gives the coaches "assignments" of a limited few players to get input on. Whaley and his scouts make the draft board, and then they stick to the board. Pretty simple.

22:45 - Whaley gets asked about having Tim Murray in the war room, and talks about how he will be attending the NHL draft with the Sabres.

Edited by DrDareustein

@TyDunne

How did the #Bills do? They might've found 3 new starters on D and a QB to develop. Video with @MatthewFairburn: https://t.co/KfJs8lQMVc

That's a wrap, folks.

The Buffalo Bills were counting on landing starters in the 2016 NFL Draft and believe they've done exactly that. They also hoped to land a quarterback and picked Ohio State's Cardale Jones in the fourth round. Kolby Listenbee adds speed at wide receiver. Jonathan Williams adds depth at running back. And Rex Ryan found another cornerback.

Indeed, there was a lot to like in this year's class for Doug Whaley, Ryan and the Bills' brass. They needed starters and found starters.

For our final video review of the weekend, I'm joined by Syracuse.com's Matthew Fairburn to break it all down. You can catch our live videos on Facebook here, which will also be posted on the BN Blitz Blog.

I look at it like this and this is the simple version or, simplifying the draft.

Do we go into a draft expecting players from round 4 to 7 to be day 1 starters? Answer is no. So I look at the 1st three picks. The question I ask myself is, before the draft was on it's way compared to after the draft was over, did we upgrade the team with the 1st three picks? I believe we did. Could we have used some help on the right side of the Oline? Sure. But we didn't and that's what it is.

We had a very successful draft if we look at our first three picks and like Whaley or "Whales" as rex seems to like calling him now said, guys might be getting cut in the next couple of weeks. So hopefully a decent RG will be in the market soon but getting back to the draft, I expect our 1st two picks to TREMENDOUSLY help us on defense and the 3rd pick is not too shabby either.

An infusion of good talent on to the roster is much more than a pep rally I'd say.

yep. we had 1 of the best drafts in the league

I think the Bills had a very good Draft...

But...

We really don't want to talk about best ever quite yet...do we?

85 - Bruce, Andre, and Reich...That's two Hall of Famers...One of the best back up QB's ever...Plus a solid starting CB in Derrick Burroughs... Burkett was OK...And Hal Garner was a hell of a special teams player...

87 - Conlon, Odomes, Mueller, Dr Sack, McKeller, and the steal of all steals House Ballard...Plus Biscuit was Drafted that year...I guess you could say in a roundabout way we traded for the #2 overall pick in 87...He never came close to playing for Indy...

2016 has some tough company...

i get ur point but its def the best draft in the 2000s

Liked the Lawson pick. The guy is an immediate starter and will make an impact for the defense.

I'm ok with the Ragland pick as he was widely projected as the top ILB in this class and we got him in the 2nd.

I, unlike some, like the Washington pick. I think he will end up meshing well on the DL.

Cardale Jones. A physical specimen @ QB. Has all the tools and is a solid developmental QB.

Now to the RB, Williams. This one pissed me off. Should have been Reader and we ended up not getting the true NT to free up Dareus. Pissed..... SOOOO pissed. The only thing I can see at the moment is another wasted year of Dareus playing mostly NT.

The WR Listenbee, I get it. Dude has speed and decent size for a guy with that speed. Hope he can contribute.

Kevon Seymour........ Who is that?

Striker as a UDFA is intriguing and I believe he will make the 53 man roster if for depth and ST alone.

I know nothing of the rest, but this is my 2.

I was also not happy with the RB pick until I remembered how injury prone Karlos running style is, how old Shady is, the fact we are a running team, and saw the new kids highlights. jWill is durrrrrtyyyy. Great pick. And everyone talking about his foot, he had foot surgery and has been resting for almost a year, in limited duty hell be fine, he wont be starting hell be a change of pace back while he gets is NFL reps up. Its a good pick people jus watch his highlights and then watch highlights of cierre wood, boom heron and the other guys we had at RB last season during the injury purge.

@SalSports

I posted video of 1 game from every Bills draft pick (via @draftbreakdown) for you to be able to see all in 1 place: http://www.wgr550.com/Video-One-game-from-every-Bills-draft-pick/22719403

LTs: I chose each game for each player at random, regardless of if it was a "good" or "bad" game, as to not purposely create bias.

...also, each player has a game from 2015, except for Jonathan Williams and Kevon Seymour (both 2014), as explained.

LTs: The first 3 plays show Shaq Lawson's versatility: 1 and 2: stand-up OLB setting edge on run 3: 3-4 DE w/hand on ground rushing passer.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Bills Unlikely to Add at Safety

One position that was not addressed during the draft was safety and by the sound of it GM Doug Whaley doesn’t intend to add there any time soon.

With the promising outlook for Aaron Williams in his return from neck surgery and some budget free agent additions, the Bills like their depth there.

@SalSports

I posted video of 1 game from every Bills draft pick (via @draftbreakdown) for you to be able to see all in 1 place: http://www.wgr550.com/Video-One-game-from-every-Bills-draft-pick/22719403

LTs: I chose each game for each player at random, regardless of if it was a "good" or "bad" game, as to not purposely create bias.

...also, each player has a game from 2015, except for Jonathan Williams and Kevon Seymour (both 2014), as explained.

LTs: The first 3 plays show Shaq Lawson's versatility: 1 and 2: stand-up OLB setting edge on run 3: 3-4 DE w/hand on ground rushing passer.

I was wondering how he choose those games, cause he did not do any favors to anyone (except maybe Lawson) with the games he showcased. The Shaq game was great to see him go against one of the topic picks in the draft (I honestly could not say who won that match up).