Fitz calls his shot -Update Signed w/Jets

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why do we have a 38 page thread on a former player who hasnt worn a Bills uniform in years?

pretty sure we've done 3800 pages on flutie/johnson. trent edwards. marshawn lynch. donte whitner. others.

The only other team at this point that may be interested in his services are Denver. They are a Super Bowl contender with him. They are the defending champ and got way worse QB play last year than the Jets did. Outside of this message board I have yet to hear 1 person suggest that $12M a year for Fitzpatrick is outlandish. Most everyone would agree that is fantastic value. There is a reason that the Jets aren't making any progress.

That is exactly the issue - he used to be a QB for this team, was given a large contract by front office, cut when he refused to take pay cut, took a offer lower than offered by Bills with cut and then after other stops he went to a AFCE rival where he had best QB numbers ever for them (note: All numbers are inflated in current times compared to past) and his losses was to our team so we weigh them more importantly because the ones who tell you the Bills suck the most are the posters on this board with exception of the Buffalo News Three Stooges.

If the Bills game had NOT been the ending of their season if the games has been in different order with same results would it have been as important to evaluation? Houston, Fitz's former team, also beat him. I'd say from results that good defenses can beat him especially coaches which know him well except we know Bills did not have a good defense last year (see Rex Sucks posts). None of the teams the Jest beat had good defenses (Yes I know the Bills lost to JAX and WAS but no one is claiming they have great defenses).

Well then why do the Jets hold some value of him ?

Is he better than Geno at least ?

Well maybe they could swap Geno for him and Bills can trade IK to them.

That is exactly the issue - he used to be a QB for this team, was given a large contract by front office, cut when he refused to take pay cut, took a offer lower than offered by Bills with cut and then after other stops he went to a AFCE rival where he had best QB numbers ever for them (note: All numbers are inflated in current times compared to past) and his losses was to our team so we weigh them more importantly because the ones who tell you the Bills suck the most are the posters on this board with exception of the Buffalo News Three Stooges.

If the Bills game had NOT been the ending of their season if the games has been in different order with same results would it have been as important to evaluation? Houston, Fitz's former team, also beat him. I'd say from results that good defenses can beat him especially coaches which know him well except we know Bills did not have a good defense last year (see Rex Sucks posts). None of the teams the Jest beat had good defenses (Yes I know the Bills lost to JAX and WAS but no one is claiming they have great defenses).

Well maybe they could swap Geno for him and Bills can trade IK to them.

Well IK needs to be in the equation for sure !

Looks like Fitzmagic is going to be waiting till cut downs at this rate

Because it is an interesting story involving a division rival?

This is a fascinating story as to how other organizations handle their qb and cap situation. What I find even more fascinating is how John Elway has handled the qb situation for his team. It started last year when he told Peyton to take a cut or leave. Then this year he was willing to let Osweiller leave once he went beyond his ceiling value. He was more than willing to let him leave despite that he didn't have a viable option at qb.

Their is an irony that relates to a prior scenario to the current Fitz saga in NY/Jersey. Fitz previously decided that he wasn't going to take a pay cut demanded by Nix. (Don't recall what his reduced salary would have been---Kirby I'm confident that you know.} So he leaves and ends up playing the next few years for a lesser amount than he would have had if he would have stayed in Buffalo. In addition, if he would have stayed in western NY without a doubt he would have been a starter with us under Marrone who had little confidence in EJ.

The bottom line is that Fitz on his own volition over the past few years has walked away from additional millions of $$$ because he wasn't willing to take a salary more commensurate with his talent level when he was with Buffalo. The scenario may now be repeating itself. For an economic major who was an honor student from Harvard his arithmetic and strategic planning is off a tad.

This is a fascinating story as to how other organizations handle their qb and cap situation. What I find even more fascinating is how John Elway has handled the qb situation for his team. It started last year when he told Peyton to take a cut or leave. Then this year he was willing to let Osweiller leave once he went beyond his ceiling value. He was more than willing to let him leave despite that he didn't have a viable option at qb.

Maybe Elway played his hand well by not overpaying for a QB, but I think he made a mistake in not having a better option for this year. If he knew he was going to stick to his guns with Osweiler and considered Peyton gone (see the pay cut). Why didn't he draft their replacement last year? I agree Elway's approach is interesting, but I'm not sure its going to be successful.

Maybe Elway played his hand well by not overpaying for a QB, but I think he made a mistake in not having a better option for this year. If he knew he was going to stick to his guns with Osweiler and considered Peyton gone (see the pay cut). Why didn't he draft their replacement last year? I agree Elway's approach is interesting, but I'm not sure its going to be successful.

Maybe the Broncos didn't draft their future qb last year because they weren't in position to do so. However, they did draft their qb prospect this year, Paxton Lynch. As it stands his starting qb situation can be described as being very precarious. Sometimes the issue is not having the best option so much as making do with the options available to you.

I'm going to give Elway the benefit of the doubt when it comes to making judgments on personnel. He brought in Peyton and overall it worked out, resulting in a SB. Without a doubt Peyton in Denver was a diminished qb but he was a contributor to their success.

Maybe the Broncos didn't draft their future qb last year because they weren't in position to do so. However, they did draft their qb prospect this year, Paxton Lynch. As it stands his starting qb situation can be described as being very precarious. Sometimes the issue is not having the best option so much as making do with the options available to you.

I'm going to give Elway the benefit of the doubt when it comes to making judgments on personnel. He brought in Peyton and overall it worked out, resulting in a SB. Without a doubt Peyton in Denver was a diminished qb but he was a contributor to their success.

Bringing Peyton in is a move that any GM and even most casual fans would do. I'm not sure it's the correct move to paint Elway as a personnel mastermind.

Bringing Peyton in is a move that any GM and even most casual fans would do. I'm not sure it's the correct move to paint Elway as a personnel mastermind.

Peyton picked where he wanted to go. There were a bunch of teams fighting over him. He chose his team not the other way around: http://www.denverpost.com/2012/03/13/peyton-mannings-list-trimmed-to-four-and-broncos-are-on-it-sources-say-2/ Edited by Kirby Jackson

Peyton picked where he wanted to go. There were a bunch of teams fighting over him. He picked his team not the other way around: http://www.denverpost.com/2012/03/13/peyton-mannings-list-trimmed-to-four-and-broncos-are-on-it-sources-say-2/

Yep. I'm not sure how great of a QB evaluator you are when arguably the best FA of all time decides to grace you with his presence.

It's like praising Grigson for Luck. What foresight. What guts.

Edited by FireChan

I'm not saying that it was a genius move but it was the right move. It must be recalled that Peyton was a free agent and was checking out the market. Elway got the deal done. It must not be forgotten that it was also a risky move because Peyton had injury issues that made that acquisition somewhat risky.

In general I think you would agree that Elway has done a good job in managing the operation in Denver. Directing a franchise that won a SB is not something to scoff at. Being a fan of a team that has been out of the playoffs for a generation I salute his accomplishments.

I'm not saying that it was a genius move but it was the right move. It must be recalled that Peyton was a free agent and was checking out the market. Elway got the deal done. It must not be forgotten that it was also a risky move because Peyton had injury issues that made that acquisition somewhat risky.

In general I think you would agree that Elway has done a good job in managing the operation in Denver. Directing a franchise that won a SB is not something to scoff at. Being a fan of a team that has been out of the playoffs for a generation I salute his accomplishments.

Again, where was the risk bringing in Peyton? They had TEBOW taken with a first rounder. They had no where to go but up at the QB position.

Of course it was the right move. Taking Luck with the #1 pick was the right move too. Those moves are easy. You and me pull the trigger on both of those. They are no great feats.

I agree in general that Elway has done a good job but it's been an easy job. Peyton picked him which instantly made them contenders. In turn FAs like Demarcus Ware took less money to go there to compete for a title. Elway was able to acquire "ring chasers" at a fraction of their value because Peyton chose Denver. It's a snowball effect.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Again, where was the risk bringing in Peyton? They had TEBOW taken with a first rounder. They had no where to go but up at the QB position.

Of course it was the right move. Taking Luck with the #1 pick was the right move too. Those moves are easy. You and me pull the trigger on both of those. They are no great feats.

I guess you could give Elway credit for building the team in Denver and making it a place Peyton wanted to come and play. He's done a great job of putting together a quality roster - and that isn't easy. That's a big difference between the Broncos and Colts. The Colts were smart in tanking the season that gave them Luck, but they haven't been any good at building the team around him. Edited by BarleyNY