Chef Jim's Top Ten Prince Faves - #10

Gugny

Eric Clapton said prince is the greatest guitarist a long time ago fwiw.

I'm not the biggest Prince fan, but sleeping on his abilities to make the stratocaster sing is insane.

Ff 3 min mark, at 4 min mark he blows the room up.

It's a Tele :rolleyes: , but yes ... this is a phenomenal solo.

I think it's more accurate to say those who don't recognize Prince as supremely talented are the clueless ones, whether they dig his music, appearance, dancing, etc., or not.

I guess for me it comes down to what his talent actually was. Was he a talented guitarist/musician? Sure. But I also think there are literally millions of musicians who are equally as or more talented. The idea that he was some sort of generational musical talent is wildly off the mark, imo.

Now if we're talking about him being a uniquely talented performer/artist/dramatist/stage presence, then sure that is a worthy debate. But for those of us whom that sort of thing does not resonate with, his standing becomes greatly diminished, imo.

Eric Clapton said prince is the greatest guitarist a long time ago fwiw.

Maybe you shouldn't believe everything you read on social media

And the fact that people keep linking to a middling George Harrison inspired guitar solo as the apex of his musical skills says as much about my point as anything else.

to each their own, though it's too bad you look at the style and miss all the substance with someone clearly carrying the James Brown torch.

let me ask this: is Mick Jagger less of a frontman because of what he does? did Hendrix not have a penchant for performing some outlandish things on stage? Bowie? The New York Dolls? Angus Young? I'm guessing you're also not a Michael Jackson fan, either. Or Sly and The Family Stone.

by simply watching how in command Prince -- he and the guitar as one -- was performing in the rain during the Super Bowl halftime show in Miami is a testament to both his ability and showmanship. he simply breaths confidence without cockiness, which is also what made many of his songs powerful.

dismiss "Purple Rain" for being a little overcooked, but it is the simple over-the-top approach that actually made it important and resonant. and then compare that with a perfect pop song on the same album, "I Will Die 4 U," and it's breathtaking how he made the difficult appear so seamlessly easy, joining pop, rock and funk into a fusion all of his own.

won't likely convince you. not even sure why i'm trying. but your post here cannot go unchallenged.

jw

James Brown had one of the tightest bands to ever walk the face of this planet.

Hendrix was an otherworldly guitar player regardless of what type of acid-induced mania he was compelled to on a stage.

Sly also had a great band, but I don't consider any of the others you mentioned to be incredible musicians.

I've never actually watched a halftime show so I can't comment on Prince's.

The electrosynth pop stylings of "I would die for you" show exactly zero of any musical talent he had.

to each their own, though it's too bad you look at the style and miss all the substance with someone clearly carrying the James Brown torch.

let me ask this: is Mick Jagger less of a frontman because of what he does? did Hendrix not have a penchant for performing some outlandish things on stage? Bowie? The New York Dolls? Angus Young? I'm guessing you're also not a Michael Jackson fan, either. Or Sly and The Family Stone.

by simply watching how in command Prince -- he and the guitar as one -- was performing in the rain during the Super Bowl halftime show in Miami is a testament to both his ability and showmanship. he simply breaths confidence without cockiness, which is also what made many of his songs powerful.

dismiss "Purple Rain" for being a little overcooked, but it is the simple over-the-top approach that actually made it important and resonant. and then compare that with a perfect pop song on the same album, "I Will Die 4 U," and it's breathtaking how he made the difficult appear so seamlessly easy, joining pop, rock and funk into a fusion all of his own.

won't likely convince you. not even sure why i'm trying. but your post here cannot go unchallenged.

jw

Uhhhh, not anymore. :devil:

I guess for me it comes down to what his talent actually was. Was he a talented guitarist/musician? Sure. But I also think there are literally millions of musicians who are equally as or more talented. The idea that he was some sort of generational musical talent is wildly off the mark, imo.

Now if we're talking about him being a uniquely talented performer/artist/dramatist/stage presence, then sure that is a worthy debate. But for those of us whom that sort of thing does not resonate with, his standing becomes greatly diminished, imo.

I respectfully disagree that his talent is run of the mill.

I don't think it needs to resonate with one for one to acknowledge it.

I think there have been very few people in our lifetime to have been excellent at as many things as he was. I think the comparisons to Hendrix are idiotic and I never believed Clapton said that. But who, in history was/is excellent at multiple instruments, singing, dancing and just performing, in general?

I have a difficult time thinking of many. Elvis? Michael Jackson? Justin Timberlake? Amy Winehouse? Every Beatle (yes, I'm biased).?

I'm not, nor would I ever, say the Prince was the best at anything. But I am wracking my brain trying to think of a better, more talented, overall entertainer and performer.

What?? I think you need to get your sense meter fixed. Anyone who does intestate is stupid. Someone with his worth who does is a colossal dumbass. Sorting out his estate is going to take years and tens of millions of dollars.

What does that have to do with the music?

What does that have to do with the music?

Nothing. So because he was a musician we can only discuss his music? What about the cars he drove? Food he ate? Drugs he took? Are those off limits too? What do you do for a living? I would like to know so I don't stray from that when I talk about you.

Maybe you shouldn't believe everything you read on social media

And the fact that people keep linking to a middling George Harrison inspired guitar solo as the apex of his musical skills says as much about my point as anything else

James Brown had one of the tightest bands to ever walk the face of this planet.

Hendrix was an otherworldly guitar player regardless of what type of acid-induced mania he was compelled to on a stage.

Sly also had a great band, but I don't consider any of the others you mentioned to be incredible musicians.

I've never actually watched a halftime show so I can't comment on Prince's.

The electrosynth pop stylings of "I would die for you" show exactly zero of any musical talent he had.

it's very obvious you are not nor never will be a musican of any note ( pun intended) " millions of musicans are better" hyperbole of the ignorant at it's finest. As for the Snopes BS. I can personally attest John Lennon did not make that comment. it was Peter Frampton who along with Paul McCartney who after seeing Rory play in Cork made the comment in particular to Gallaghers guitar playing. This was the night after after seeing Hendrix at the Marquee ( if you know where that was). if you care to try and find any error in my statement. Go at it. After all the internet is always right. My info,is not from some silly rumor mill site.

BTW Clapton did say once when asked about his guitar god staus. I am parapharsing just a bit. " At any one time there are a thousand ( not millions) of guitar players in their garages in the US that could blow me away" As a human being Clapton is a self absorbed douche, as he will admit. unlike Prince. he even will admit it either in print or in person. he musically has been coasting in Neutral for decades save for a tune or two. His rehab palace " Crossroads" is strictly for the rich and or famous. The average parent with a kid in serious drug problems has a ZERO chance of getting their kid into his island palace. Yet his Crossroad festivals operate under the guise of funding this place. FWIW we have never missed a single one but then we are comped. great musicans great music. Eric does try to give something back, but nothing like a game changing artist like Prince. prince wrote checks. Big ones, not festivals with high Admin. Costs. In the end no one can overlook Clapton's contributions he although simply copying was one of the many British white acts that taught Americans what we where not seeing in our own backyards. The Blues, and the Black musicans that invented the entire thing.

i understand this is off topic but that seems to be what Princes death on this site has become. You see Clapton's death wont even hit the noise range of a pioneering musican like Prince. he simply and admittetly steals from the Delta and Chicago Blues players. yep he can play, Prince would have toasted his nuts but he has never allowed the great players to challenge him after the infamous Marquee Club Jam when Hendrix came out for the last tune. Claptons comment to Chas Chandler Hendrix's manager after the gig ended was this. " WTF why did you let that cat come up here and make me look like chit?" Clapton at the 80's ARM concerts was not playing in the league of Page or Jeff Beck, or Steve Winwood for that matter.

Music is obviously subjective. I like it all. To make comments based on the fact that one may have not liked what someone did musically but more importantly revolutionary in the genre and trash the dude. is silly.

Edited by Best Player Available