Chef Jim's Top Ten Prince Faves - #10

Gugny

Not even close guys.

You should've posted this in the Prince cover thread. You know, the one you just complained about.

That's a really cool cover, nonetheless. Thanks Chef.

I just watched that again and I completely changed my mind. Those dudes looked like manequins. Talented musicians, sure. Performers, no.

Edited by SAMMY HANDWICH

You should've posted this in the Prince cover thread. You know, the one you just complained about.

That's a really cool cover, nonetheless. Thanks Chef.

I just watched that again and I completely changed my mind. Those dudes looked like manequins. Talented musicians, sure. Performers, no.

Jumping around does not make the show any more entertaining.

No. This one IS about me. :D

Shouldn't each one have it's own thread? I need some advice. Jim?

When it comes to advice neither a giver nor a taker should one be.

Did you know: In Prince's final concert, he did a tribute to fellow pop icon David Bowie? You should look it up.

The dumbass also died without a will. :doh:

Jumping around does not make the show any better

Prince didn't jump around. He laid his soul (and his sexuality) on the stage. Again, and again, and again, and again, and again.

The dumbass also died without a will. :doh:

What does that have to do with his talent? Does that really bother you? Were you counting on a piece of the inheritance? That's a pretty irrational response.

I'm sensing a DC Tom/Tom Petty thing going on here. I advice you to listen to Darling Nikki and rub one out!

Those dudes looked like manequins. Talented musicians, sure. Performers, no.

I stayed out of the Prince thread because I didn't want to be disrespectful, but this is not the Prince thread and this statement perfectly sums up how some of us feel about musical "performances".

A lot of us couldn't care less about clothes, make-up, hair, art and how much a performer emotes for his audience. Every time I ever saw Prince do anything it was always about 90% style and 10% substance. I view him in the same category as a Madonna and would have walked out of either of their overwrought performances in under 15 minutes. I have to chuckle a little when I see people falling all over themselves about his big guitar solo covering George Harrison, when the truth of the matter was that he was doing nothing more than a little run that 2 million other guitar players could have done wearing a blindfold and Isotoners.. But he was twitching around oh so dramatically, so it must be great, right? Some of us just don't give a crap about his drama. I see it like painting flames on a Honda Fit and then trying to tell me it's a race car.

I could sit for hours and watch a guy like Eric Clapton by himself sitting on a stool with an acoustic guitar playing nothing but 12-bar blues standards without moving more than 6 inches and be utterly blown away by his talent. But watching Prince's posing and tawdry histrionics is boring to the point of being almost embarrassed for him. You all are welcome to your art, fashion and drama; more power to each of our individual tastes. But don't try to tell the rest of us that those things somehow make it great "music".

What does that have to do with his talent? Does that really bother you? Were you counting on a piece of the inheritance? That's a pretty irrational response.

I'm sensing a DC Tom/Tom Petty thing going on here. I advice you to listen to Darling Nikki and rub one out!

What?? I think you need to get your sense meter fixed. Anyone who does intestate is stupid. Someone with his worth who does is a colossal dumbass. Sorting out his estate is going to take years and tens of millions of dollars.

I'm not a music aficionado, far from it. I know what I like when I hear it. That put a smile on my face for the final 3 minutes.

If it fits for you, great. Like I said, more power to our individual tastes.

But maybe people should reconsider before suggesting that others are clueless for not recognizing it as great music

If it fits for you, great. Like I said, more power to our individual tastes.

But maybe people should reconsider before suggesting that others are clueless for not recognizing it as great music

I think it's more accurate to say those who don't recognize Prince as supremely talented are the clueless ones, whether they dig his music, appearance, dancing, etc., or not.

I stayed out of the Prince thread because I didn't want to be disrespectful, but this is not the Prince thread and this statement perfectly sums up how some of us feel about musical "performances".

A lot of us couldn't care less about clothes, make-up, hair, art and how much a performer emotes for his audience. Every time I ever saw Prince do anything it was always about 90% style and 10% substance. I view him in the same category as a Madonna and would have walked out of either of their overwrought performances in under 15 minutes. I have to chuckle a little when I see people falling all over themselves about his big guitar solo covering George Harrison, when the truth of the matter was that he was doing nothing more than a little run that 2 million other guitar players could have done wearing a blindfold and Isotoners.. But he was twitching around oh so dramatically, so it must be great, right? Some of us just don't give a crap about his drama. I see it like painting flames on a Honda Fit and then trying to tell me it's a race car.

I could sit for hours and watch a guy like Eric Clapton by himself sitting on a stool with an acoustic guitar playing nothing but 12-bar blues standards without moving more than 6 inches and be utterly blown away by his talent. But watching Prince's posing and tawdry histrionics is boring to the point of being almost embarrassed for him. You all are welcome to your art, fashion and drama; more power to each of our individual tastes. But don't try to tell the rest of us that those things somehow make it great "music".

to each their own, though it's too bad you look at the style and miss all the substance with someone clearly carrying the James Brown torch.

let me ask this: is Mick Jagger less of a frontman because of what he does? did Hendrix not have a penchant for performing some outlandish things on stage? Bowie? The New York Dolls? Angus Young? I'm guessing you're also not a Michael Jackson fan, either. Or Sly and The Family Stone.

by simply watching how in command Prince -- he and the guitar as one -- was performing in the rain during the Super Bowl halftime show in Miami is a testament to both his ability and showmanship. he simply breaths confidence without cockiness, which is also what made many of his songs powerful.

dismiss "Purple Rain" for being a little overcooked, but it is the simple over-the-top approach that actually made it important and resonant. and then compare that with a perfect pop song on the same album, "I Will Die 4 U," and it's breathtaking how he made the difficult appear so seamlessly easy, joining pop, rock and funk into a fusion all of his own.

won't likely convince you. not even sure why i'm trying. but your post here cannot go unchallenged.

jw

to each their own, though it's too bad you look at the style and miss all the substance with someone clearly carrying the James Brown torch.

let me ask this: is Mick Jagger less of a frontman because of what he does? did Hendrix not have a penchant for performing some outlandish things on stage? Bowie? The New York Dolls? Angus Young? I'm guessing you're also not a Michael Jackson fan, either. Or Sly and The Family Stone.

by simply watching how in command Prince -- he and the guitar as one -- was performing in the rain during the Super Bowl halftime show in Miami is a testament to both his ability and showmanship. he simply breaths confidence without cockiness, which is also what made many of his songs powerful.

dismiss "Purple Rain" for being a little overcooked, but it is the simple over-the-top approach that actually made it important and resonant. and then compare that with a perfect pop song on the same album, "I Will Die 4 U," and it's breathtaking how he made the difficult appear so seamlessly easy, joining pop, rock and funk into a fusion all of his own.

won't likely convince you. not even sure why i'm trying. but your post here cannot go unchallenged.

jw

Well said. I can't claim that I am any kind of real Prince fan. However, look at the number of talented musicians and performers who have paid tribute to him in the past few days. Being liked and respected by fans is one thing. Being respected and liked by other musicians and performers is an entirely different situation.

I think it's more accurate to say those who don't recognize Prince as supremely talented are the clueless ones, whether they dig his music, appearance, dancing, etc., or not.

Eric Clapton said prince is the greatest guitarist a long time ago fwiw.

I'm not the biggest Prince fan, but sleeping on his abilities to make the stratocaster sing is insane.

Ff 3 min mark, at 4 min mark he blows the room up.