More Color Rush week 2--Bills will reportedly wear red again

that would be clean. They haven't worn the throwback helmets with anything but white jerseys if I recall.

They wore the blue, 60s throwback jersey when Losman was the QB for the home opener against Houston. Also wore them against the Cowboys on Monday night football.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully color blind can watch Jets-Bills 'Color Rush' game rematch

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25556734/hopefully-color-blind-can-watch-jets-bills-color-rush-game-rematch

i think the NFL has a rule that you can only change decals, not the color of the helmet

Technically you can not change helmets so teams could paint helmets and reapply decals.

Hopefully color blind can watch Jets-Bills 'Color Rush' game rematch

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25556734/hopefully-color-blind-can-watch-jets-bills-color-rush-game-rematch

Technically you can not change helmets so teams could paint helmets and reapply decals.

oh ok - same in NCAA. And they do paint them for alternate unis. Edited by YoloinOhio

Can't do that anymore, it would require the players to have 2 helmets. NFL doesn't like players having mutiple helmets.

The Bills would need to use same helmets (supposedly a safety concern but mostly to prevent a Pats* type cheat) paint them and re-decal them and then do it again. It is a lot of effort but I think it could be a market bonus.

The Bills would need to use same helmets (supposedly a safety concern but mostly to prevent a Pats* type cheat) paint them and re-decal them and then do it again. It is a lot of effort but I think it could be a market bonus.

it is a lot of work but OSU did it last year. One issue could be the short turnaround time from Sunday to Thursday.

I don't think a lot of teams would do it. They don't even respray the white during the year. If you look at the helmets at the end of the year they are really marked up. And it's just another logistical thing you don't want to have to figure out because after the game you'd have to spray them back white... Does that take 2 coats? Who knows.

It's why you don't see teams do their throwbacks anymore if the helmet colour changes.

I don't think a lot of teams would do it. They don't even respray the white during the year. If you look at the helmets at the end of the year they are really marked up. And it's just another logistical thing you don't want to have to figure out because after the game you'd have to spray them back white... Does that take 2 coats? Who knows.

It's why you don't see teams do their throwbacks anymore if the helmet colour changes.

Has the one helmet always been a thing? Or is just part of the newish safety protocol?

Has the one helmet always been a thing? Or is just part of the newish safety protocol?

It started in 2013. The NFL found that with switching helmets there was greater chance for injury. The safety committee recommended not doing it anymore. That's why you don't see teams like Denver or Tampa Bay doing their throwback anymore because it would require a different helmet. Teams just don't want to put the time involved into spraying a helmet and then respraying it.

It's not like coaches and players would be distracted- it's an equipment department (and in this case likely aided by Nike staff)

It's not like coaches and players would be distracted- it's an equipment department (and in this case likely aided by Nike staff)

at least in osu's case Nike wouldn't help with the painting and OSU staff had to do it all. Not sure if true across the board.

I don't understand why they don't try to do vinyl coverings for an alternate helmet design/colors like I've seen done on cars.

Easier to do and undo than paint.

Not sure why no one's tried it.

NFLPA probably objected; they object to lots of stuff just to try to be the tail to wag the dog.