Mike Williams emerges -- (update: Signing with KC)

That has NOTHING to do with being successful in the NFL. Some of the best WR's in the NFL didn't run fast. Give me a guy who can read a defense, run routes, works hard and can catch anything over a track guy pretending to be a football player. I'd take a SLOW Wes Welker, Anquan Boldin, and a guy who ran a 4.70 40 yard dash over someone like Troy Williamson and Darrius Heyward Bey. Yea, btw, that 4.70 WR was Jerry Rice. Clearly hampered by his disability to run fast.

Mike Williams does none of the other things you mention. Lazy, slow receivers are not Jerry Rice.

I was just responding to you saying "He's not fast."

So I'm right.

Actually, I said "and he's slow" in addition to another poster who called him an immature egoistical ahole. So let's try to think before we post next time.

Edited by FireChan

That has NOTHING to do with being successful in the NFL. Some of the best WR's in the NFL didn't run fast. Give me a guy who can read a defense, run routes, works hard and can catch anything over a track guy pretending to be a football player. I'd take a SLOW Wes Welker, Anquan Boldin, and a guy who ran a 4.70 40 yard dash over someone like Troy Williamson and Darrius Heyward Bey. Yea, btw, that 4.70 WR was Jerry Rice. Clearly hampered by his inability to run fast.

For some reason your post triggered an old memory. My friends in the early 70's used to joke about one of the Braves players, who was described by one the Braves announcers at the time as being slow but quick. I can't remember who the player was but he was a starter and had a fair amount of success. Maybe McMillan or Heard? You don't have to be flat out fast to be successful in any sport other than track.

Josh Freeman was once considered a "franchise QB". He didn't have to be perfectly accurate because Williams has a HUGE catching radius and ball skills. Doesn't matter that he's not as fast as these track stars. He's better. Hogan will be running circles around him at practice, but they would be wise to give him the chance the Bills didn't.

Talent runs out when you don't have work ethic.

That's possible. for the person who said he was slow, you didn't watch him in Tampa with those back to back 1000 yard seasons on bad teams. He was a good red zone threat, had a great leap down here and was reliable. The only on-field knock on him in Tampa, was he was just not a #1 WR, but a very solid #2. The off field stuff was just that, off field. He had ridiculous parties at his house pissing off neighbors in a nice gated neighborhood, etc. then there was the stabbing of his brother's leg screwing around. He was just immature, but he played well.

In Buffalo, he just didn't seem to respond at all to Marrone, and looked like he gave up. If he works at it, and keeps his knucklehead decisions to a minimum, he has NFL starting WR talent. Given his 4 years in Tampa, I have seen over 50 of his games.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

That has NOTHING to do with being successful in the NFL. Some of the best WR's in the NFL didn't run fast. Give me a guy who can read a defense, run routes, works hard and can catch anything over a track guy pretending to be a football player. I'd take a SLOW Wes Welker, Anquan Boldin, and a guy who ran a 4.70 40 yard dash over someone like Troy Williamson and Darrius Heyward Bey. Yea, btw, that 4.70 WR was Jerry Rice. Clearly hampered by his inability to run fast.

well, it does have SOMETHING to do with success. lets not act like speed is totally stupid to discuss. you do realize there are guys that can run like track stars AND have football skills?