Rex Ryan: I won't be shocked if Ed Reed is HC in 5 years

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love for you to be right and I be wrong. But I doubt it.

Being in the thick of a playoff race is not good enough for me. If Rex can't get this team into the playoffs then he has failed. You might be satisfied by lowering your expectations but I'm not going there, especially after 16 years of futility.

You have to be in the thick of a playoff race to make the playoffs; you're playing with semantics. My expectations aren't lowered.

The numbers on the field say BS! They were not as good as 2014 and that is stipulated. But the notion that they were flat out terrible all season long is pure unadulterated BS. Don't give us any of your ridiculous analogies. Give a breakdown of why the defense is antiquated and why any team with any run of the mill QB can and will exploit the scheme since it is so easily taken advantage of. You offer excuses as to why it worked in some games and selectively pick out games where they failed. Your passionate defense filled with nothingness and distraction techniques isn't impressing anyone.

Dude WTF. What numbers on what field? 1st to 31st in sacks? Guys not knowing the play call? They got torched by:

Kurt Cousins

Sam Bradford

Eli Manning

Blake Bortles

Alex Smith

They handled:

Fitz, Talleywhacker, Kellen Moore, Schmuck, rookie Mariota which I think was actually a good performance because he did have his moments and I think TJ Yates or whoever was playing for Houston that day.

I'll leave out Brady, Dalton since they have a track record.

The QBs we play this year do not offer a parade of losers like those who we played in 2015, though there are a few. Flat out terrible all season or.....good for a few games, terrible for the rest yield the same results. Free weekends for fans in January. I'll bet that the defense has a few good games in 2016 too. So what? They need to play good in most games, not some. It is too much to demand they play well in every single game.

Think of it like a video game. You get a certain number of lives for your character. As long as your achieve your goal it doesn't matter if you lost a few lives. If you get on a roll you can get it done. Rex's defense seems like it wants run right into the mushrooms without jumping them, or better yet just stand there until the mushroom runs into you, or contain the mushroom while leaving Bowser alone to throw fireballs. Keep doing that and Mario is going to run out of lives.

Dude WTF. What numbers on what field? 1st to 31st in sacks? Guys not knowing the play call? They got torched by:

Kurt Cousins

Sam Bradford

Eli Manning

Blake Bortles

Alex Smith

They handled:

Fitz, Talleywhacker, Kellen Moore, Schmuck, rookie Mariota which I think was actually a good performance because he did have his moments and I think TJ Yates or whoever was playing for Houston that day.

I'll leave out Brady, Dalton since they have a track record.

The QBs we play this year do not offer a parade of losers like those who we played in 2015, though there are a few. Flat out terrible all season or.....good for a few games, terrible for the rest yield the same results. Free weekends for fans in January. I'll bet that the defense has a few good games in 2016 too. So what? They need to play good in most games, not some. It is too much to demand they play well in every single game.

Think of it like a video game. You get a certain number of lives for your character. As long as your achieve your goal it doesn't matter if you lost a few lives. If you get on a roll you can get it done. Rex's defense seems like it wants run right into the mushrooms without jumping them, or better yet just stand there until the mushroom runs into you, or contain the mushroom while leaving Bowser alone to throw fireballs. Keep doing that and Mario is going to run out of lives.

Here we go again with some silly analogy. It's football in real life something you obviously cannot analyze and breakdown. Thanks for playing.

Here we go again with some silly analogy. It's football in real life something you obviously cannot analyze and breakdown. Thanks for playing.

Dude I am trying to help you. The real life football sucked. 8-8 with a vastly improved offense from a 9-7 team is what you need to see. 1st to 31st in sacks. Multiple players grousing in public. One uber talent basically quitting because he gave up. Another signing a huge contract and then moving to a 3-4 where it is a legit question if he'll even fit. An older vet who is loved by the fans but probably won't fit. A young LB who had a very solid rookie year being called docile and weak by a coach who needs a scapegoat. Kurt Cousins and Sam Bradford shredding the defense. What could anyone possibly show you with some esoteric stats if your eyes are closed to these things?

It's like saying a high school class scored in the 89th percentile as sophomores on the PSAT and got a new teacher for junior year who does things differently and the kids say they don't understand and then score in the 40th percentile on the SAT and somehow claiming it might not be the new teaching methods and saying analyzing the end results don't display enough of an understanding of how the SAT system works. Well those kids are going to pump gas now instead of being in line for advanced degrees. Luckily the Bills can change "teachers" and get new kids in the class every so often.

Does that help you understand?

Edited by 4merper4mer

Dude I am trying to help you. The real life football sucked. 8-8 with a vastly improved offense from a 9-7 team is what you need to see. 1st to 31st in sacks. Multiple players grousing in public. One uber talent basically quitting because he gave up. Another signing a huge contract and then moving to a 3-4 where it is a legit question if he'll even fit. An older vet who is loved by the fans but probably won't fit. A young LB who had a very solid rookie year being called docile and weak by a coach who needs a scapegoat. Kurt Cousins and Sam Bradford shredding the defense. What could anyone possibly show you with some esoteric stats if your eyes are closed to these things?

It's like saying a high school class scored in the 89th percentile as sophomores on the PSAT and got a new teacher for junior year who does things differently and the kids say they don't understand and then score in the 40th percentile on the SAT and somehow claiming it might not be the new teaching methods and saying analyzing the end results don't display enough of an understanding of how the SAT system works. Well those kids are going to pump gas now instead of being in line for advanced degrees. Luckily the Bills can change "teachers" and get new kids in the class every so often.

More silly analogies. :lol: I don't need your help at all. A fake 9-7 (The Patriots didn't care in week 17 of 2014) to 8-8 in 2015 is essentially the same result IMO.

Please add "For Entertainment Purposes Only" to your signature.

More silly analogies. :lol: I don't need your help at all. A fake 9-7 (The Patriots didn't care in week 17 of 2014) to 8-8 in 2015 is essentially the same result IMO.

Please add "For Entertainment Purposes Only" to your signature.

I'll grant you the 9-7 was fake so staying put record wise when the offense was clearly far superior is a good sign to you?

Campaigning for and getting Tyrod in Buffalo was a mistake? WTF!?!

Huge mistake if the goal is winning games.

Excellent move if the goal is to sell tickets.

We now have a team with a poorly coached (and underachieving as a result) defense and a very exciting offense that can't score points when they're needed. That's all Pegs and Rex.

This is still a thing? Preston pretty clearly indicated last week he didn't feel insulted or denigrated by Rex's remarks, and admitted them to be true.

You really should simply stop posting on this topic, and concentrate your focus on the Walking Dead thread. We've read all of your incongruous analogies and understand you're not a Rex fan. Can you give it a rest?

What does 16 years have to do with Rex? For that matter, what does it have to do with Pegula or Whaley?

I'll tell you what a generation of futility has to do with Rex: Last year we had a team good enough to make the playoffs. He squandered that opportunity with the mismatch between his talent and his scheme.. Last year's team had limitations as most teams do. But it was good enough to have garnered 2 to 3 more wins with a more competent HC who knew how to better utilize the talent he had on defense.

Rex got fired from a team that won 4 games in his last year. The less talkative head coach who followed him won 10 games. Rex came to a team that won 9 game with the prior dour HC who had less talent to work with. With a weaker schedule he won less games with an offense that was upgraded from the prior year. His team underachieved. He was not only a bad hire he was a foolish hire. It made no sense then and it makes no sense now.

so,

It will be interesting to me to see how Reed does as a Coach, and if we can discern an uptick in confidence from the secondary.

His main point so far is the lack of tape study in general. Which i might guess means " Unprepared and lost"

Sounds about right to me.

Edited by 3rdand12

This is still a thing? Preston pretty clearly indicated last week he didn't feel insulted or denigrated by Rex's remarks, and admitted them to be true.

You're leaving out the fact that Brown basically had to say those things because he is a third year player who a bad coach has made look like a rookie. It's like a kid who joins Microsoft and sells a lot of Windows 10 licenses and becomes the lead rookie in the area. The future looks bright but the sales manager who was an idiot anyway leaves for greener pastures. The new boisterous new manager comes in claiming he is the best manager ever and forces the 2nd year salesman to sell an old broken Microsoft product like Vista which the kid doesn't understand. But it is all the manger knows. Not only does the salesman's production go down but the manager blames him for the lack of results in the whole unit. This even though all they are selling is Vista which has not been innovative in years.

If you're the salesman and the manager goes public blaming you, you have to take the high road and shoulder the blame or else Oracle will never hire you. Your career trying to sell the failed Vista will never revive itself but if you bad mouth your manager, Oracle won't hire you.

Is it easier to understand's Brown's position now?

Ok, I clearly see you're trolling now. Up until this point, I actually thought you cared about the coaching situation.

Lesson learned.

I do care about the coaching situation and I hope I'm wrong about it, but it seems clear that the odds of Rex's antiquated system working, with or without Ed Reed, are miniscule. and blaming Preston Brown who is in no position to defend himself is mean and unfair.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Ok, I clearly see you're trolling now. Up until this point, I actually thought you cared about the coaching situation.

Lesson learned.

For me it was when he complained about getting "torched" by:

Eli Manning 20/32 for 212 (51 of which came after a missed tackle for a loss)

Blake Bortles 13/29 for 182 (84 of which came on the final drive)

Sam Bradford 23/32 for 247 (53 of which came on a blown play by our safeties (shocking, I know))

Alex Smith 19/30 for 255

You have to be in the thick of a playoff race to make the playoffs; you're playing with semantics. My expectations aren't lowered.

Some teams make the playoffs every year, yet never seem to be in a "playoff race"--not much of one anyway.

Likewise, getting to week 12 or so before being "mathematically eliminated" isn't quite being in the race either...

You're leaving out the fact that Brown basically had to say those things because he is a third year player who a bad coach has made look like a rookie. It's like a kid who joins Microsoft and sells a lot of Windows 10 licenses and becomes the lead rookie in the area. The future looks bright but the sales manager who was an idiot anyway leaves for greener pastures. The new boisterous new manager comes in claiming he is the best manager ever and forces the 2nd year salesman to sell an old broken Microsoft product like Vista which the kid doesn't understand. But it is all the manger knows. Not only does the salesman's production go down but the manager blames him for the lack of results in the whole unit. This even though all they are selling is Vista which has not been innovative in years.

If you're the salesman and the manager goes public blaming you, you have to take the high road and shoulder the blame or else Oracle will never hire you. Your career trying to sell the failed Vista will never revive itself but if you bad mouth your manager, Oracle won't hire you.

Is it easier to understand's Brown's position now?

analogy day?

I do care about the coaching situation and I hope I'm wrong about it, but it seems clear that the odds of Rex's antiquated system working, with or without Ed Reed, are miniscule. and blaming Preston Brown who is in no position to defend himself is mean and unfair.

Rex blamed himself i thought?

Said he made judgemental errors coming in. we can all agree upon that.

The comments about Brown have been taken too too seriously.

and you can say that a player or even a coach will most always try to say the right things to appease someone. Such is life.

Lets see how brown and rex show up this season before we make internal decisions about what tipped the scales and why what was said was said.

The way i read read it, Rex believes in him to lead. That' quite a compliment in my book

Some teams make the playoffs every year, yet never seem to be in a "playoff race"--not much of one anyway.

Likewise, getting to week 12 or so before being "mathematically eliminated" isn't quite being in the race either...

Do you have a point to make, or are you just blathering?

analogy day?

Rex blamed himself i thought?

Said he made judgemental errors coming in. we can all agree upon that.

The comments about Brown have been taken too too seriously.

and you can say that a player or even a coach will most always try to say the right things to appease someone. Such is life.

Lets see how brown and rex show up this season before we make internal decisions about what tipped the scales and why what was said was said.

The way i read read it, Rex believes in him to lead. That' quite a compliment in my book

Is up down?

Is black white?

The only time Rex blames himself is when he is saying sarcastic things like "I guess I don't know how to coach defense any more". Oddly enough, the results show that his sarcastic criticisms of himself appear to be true once the sarcasm is removed.

Rex threw Brown right under the bus. Maybe Brown isn't that good but no player should be singled out to the press like that with all of his shortcomings listed on public display. In the locker room....fine.

Do you have a point to make, or are you just blathering?

If he starts making points about how the emperor's new clothes are sweet and how Rex is a great defensive coach will you be his friend?

Edited by 4merper4mer