Rex at 3-22 Owners meetings AFC Coaches media breakfast

@rapsheet

We're live from the AFC coaches breakfast at the annual meetings... The favorite 60 minutes of the year for coaches

@mikerodak

Rex Ryan says he won't get into "specifics" of firing defensive line coach Karl Dunbar earlier this month. es.pn/1Rg6qVV

Rex Ryan says he really thought Bills had a chance to win last season. Cites opposing offenses' quick-strike approach, injuries and "assumptions and faith that players would have in me." Ryan realized that players didn't know him and needed to build trust.

Rex Ryan says Bills will give LB Preston Brown "a good coach." Asked who, Ryan says we'll find out. "You know who," he says.

Rex Ryan giving a lot of praise to Nigel Bradham, who signed with Eagles. Ryan thinks he can be a great player and didn't want to lose him.

Rex Ryan says Bills didn't want to lose Chris Hogan. "That kid is tough as heck," he says. Ryan adds Patriots, "paid a lot of money for him but those guys make a difference." Ryan says, "There's some upside, unfortunately."

Rex Ryan says Seantrel Henderson's health is getting better and his weight is coming back. Third-year right tackle finished last season on non-football illness list.

Rex Ryan says he would not be surprised if Reed was a head coach in five years. "That's how quick he'll rise," Ryan says.

Rex Ryan says "it's scary" to see the Patriots have Rob Gronkowski and Martellus Bennett. "How we're gonna defend them, I don't know," he says.

@viccarucci

Rex Ryan: "Our entire organization believes in Tyrod Taylor. Don't think there's any doubt. #Bills

Ryan on Taylor's agent speaking out about no extension. "The agent's probably the most disappointed, but there's a football team to run."

Ryan said he thought #Bills "would make at run at" playoffs last season. "Really thought defense would be strength of team."

Ryan said he "made assumptions of trust & faith" that players would have in him. "But they really didn't know me."

Ryan said #Bills played a majority of their snaps in a "traditional 4-3 last year. ... We'll be multiple this year."

Ryan says Preston Brown "has to stop up & communicate. Know that's not his personality off the field. He needs to step up."

Ryan said communication problems on #Bills' D last year "baffled" him. Said he got text from Corey Graham late in yr to change something.

Ryan on why he wants #NFL coaches to challenge all calls. "We got beat on 2 calls last year that cost us games."

Ryan not-so-subtly cites PI vs. #Bills in loss to #Jaguars as a call he would like to see challenged.

Ryan said #Bills D-line actually played well last year. "Marcell (Dareus) was outstanding. Lot of positive things."

Ryan said he's "not going to get into specifics" about timing of Karl Dunbar firing, "but it was the right time for us. Comfortable w it."

Ryan "would love to have Percy (Harvin) back. This kid is one of the toughest guys you'll see. Would welcome him w open arms."

Ryan on uncertain status of LeSean McCoy: "We have Karlos Williams & Gillislee. Confident we'll get a heck of football team together."

Rex says "he's been encouraged" by Seantrel Henderson's progress in dealing w Crohn's Disease. "His weight really fluctuated last year."

Ryan says he's not sure #Bills "have to" take a QB in the draft. Says EJ Manuel is "a solid No. 2 QB."

Ryan says getting Robert Woods back healthy from groin injury is "critically important." Says he wasn't same WR as the year before.

Rex Ryan on whether he'd be receptive to #Bills playing a game in China: "I'd go anywhere for a win."

Rex Ryan said he hears Hard Knocks would go to #Saints or #Rams "and that's fine by me."

Ryan wants to see #Bills "take advantage of the middle of the field" more on offense. Wants to see that from Tyrod Taylor.

Rex Ryan says Mario Williams will probably play a 9-technique in Miami. "Everything he wants," Ryan says, smiling. Asked if he thinks Williams will have his return to Buffalo circled on his calendar, Ryan says, "Maybe we'll have it circled too."

Ryan on players understanding #Bills' D calls. Says they're simple "Got to understand formations. Comes from off-field study, preparation."

Rex Ryan on #Cardinals taking #Patriots DE Chandler Jones out of the AFC East: "That was nice."

Rex Ryan on #Patriots having Gronk & Bennett at TE: "It's unusual to have 2 guys that are 6-7 & can run, catch, block. It's scary."

Rex Ryan says #Bills are not anticipating having back-to-back games on the West Coast w 3 games out there this season.

Ryan said #Bills didn't want a situation where they would have to stay on West Coast for a week & #NFL will accommodate.

Rex Ryan says he would like to see #Jets QB Ryan Fitzpatrick leave the division. "He's tougher than heck. I hope they lose him."

@tompelissero

Rex says he will call the #Bills defensive signals. "100%."

Edited by YoloinOhio

So he thought the legend of Rex would be enough to get the defense to work? He is just so great the players should know him before even meeting him? Awesome.

He was baffled by communication issues until a safety texted him with a few games left? Does Graham get part of Rex!s pay this year? If so maybe we'll correct things sooner.

Evidently Preston Brown needed a few more bus tracks on his back. And a mystery coach. That's exciting and barely silly at all.

He said the right things about Taylor.

I'm not sure why he keeps floating the all play challenge thing when even someone as stupid as him knows it will never pass. He is right about the Jags thing but does anyone think that will help us next year? Prepare to be punished for saying something Rex. Thanks.

I am glad to know that the D line played well last year. They didn't finish dead last in sacks after all. They did best 1 team after beating 31 in 2014.

If only we had a roster full of tough players like Harvin maybe we could set IR records by week 3.

Meet your 2016 excuses: Chris Hogan and Nigel Bradham. I bet they had lunch with Searcy before signing their contracts.

Rex is a good guy with the right intent but no ability to deliver. Here's hoping Whaley can keep a good core intact so our 2017 coach can hit the ground running.

So he thought the legend of Rex would be enough to get the defense to work? He is just so great the players should know him before even meeting him? Awesome.

He was baffled by communication issues until a safety texted him with a few games left? Does Graham get part of Rex!s pay this year? If so maybe we'll correct things sooner.

Evidently Preston Brown needed a few more bus tracks on his back. And a mystery coach. That's exciting and barely silly at all.

He said the right things about Taylor.

I'm not sure why he keeps floating the all play challenge thing when even someone as stupid as him knows it will never pass. He is right about the Jags thing but does anyone think that will help us next year? Prepare to be punished for saying something Rex. Thanks.

I am glad to know that the D line played well last year. They didn't finish dead last in sacks after all. They did best 1 team after beating 31 in 2014.

If only we had a roster full of tough players like Harvin maybe we could set IR records by week 3.

Meet your 2016 excuses: Chris Hogan and Nigel Bradham. I bet they had lunch with Searcy before signing their contracts.

Rex is a good guy with the right intent but no ability to deliver. Here's hoping Whaley can keep a good core intact so our 2017 coach can hit the ground running.

i guess Belichik is stupid too because he keeps bringing up the same play challenge rule change. Edited by YoloinOhio

Rex Ryan says #Bills are not anticipating having back-to-back games on the West Coast w 3 games out there this season.

Ryan said #Bills didn't want a situation where they would have to stay on West Coast for a week & #NFL will accommodate.

Don't know if I agree with this. I think it may be easier on the players to have two consecutive games on West Coast, instead of making three separate trips.

Don't know if I agree with this. I think it may be easier on the players to have two consecutive games on West Coast, instead of making three separate trips.

If he drops his DL far enough into coverage, they'll be half way to California anyway.

I dont know. Staying the week in London certainly didnt help them last year. They looked flat all game.

Ryan "would love to have Percy (Harvin) back. This kid is one of the toughest guys you'll see. Would welcome him w open arms."

WTF? Was he being sarcastic? Harvin is as fragile as china - both mentally and physically.

Clearly he's physically fragile but why do you say he's mentally fragile? Do you know Percy well?

Personally, I have no idea how tough he is mentally.