Is Adam LaRoche a little much ?

Maury Ballstein

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't question that having a kid (now 14 & I assume younger in years past) in the locker room would inhibit nearly every player at some time in some way. He made a decision and that's his choice just like it is the team's choice to set parameters around all kids in the LR.

I didn't question his choice or the team's choice; I don't really have a problem with either one.

I was just pointing out the irony of calling a guy a "baby" because he preferred to act like a man rather than a little boy.

I feel he's being a baby. If one of his teammates wants to talk about the 4 girls he banged last night he can't do it because baby LaRoche is in the building.

It's a locker room. Cursing, inappropriate music, penises and balls abound.

Just throwing it out there again, LaRoche is a devout Christian from what I read. Maybe he is trying to keep the Clubhouse "honest" with his kid around.

Yeah, a stretch... But not out of the realm if possibility.

It definately goes deeper and the baggage (factor in his ADHD too) is more w/what LaRoche brings to the table... Not the White Sox. Sox are being totally reasonable and so is LaRoche w/saying he is choosing to retire if he wants to, he is 36. It is his right to retire if he is able to... Bye, frees up 13 million! He should think of family first, but don't be all holier than thou! Great, he is position to retire, such a wonderful thing to do for his child. It is, right?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I can't think of another job where you can bring a teen to work with you every day.

Manager of a textile plant, spokesman for a sandwich chain, African warlord, there are plenty of jobs where you can bring kids to work everyday.

Edited by Jauronimo

This sounds like the typical sports talk show topic -- a lot of blather about nothing.

I'd guess he retired more as a result of being 36, having sharply declining skills and having already made $73MM in his baseball career.

Yeah... Yep!

Boy how convenient was all the other baggage!

Like Chef said.

IMO, what a great teaching moment from the annals of homeschooling. We made 70 mill in our career, just quit when we don't get our way.

I didn't question his choice or the team's choice; I don't really have a problem with either one.

I was just pointing out the irony of calling a guy a "baby" because he preferred to act like a man rather than a little boy.

Quitting because you didn't get your way is acting like a man?

Acting like a man he wouldn't expose his child to public scrutiny... He would have buried the incident and just retired saying his skills have diminished and he is 36.

He acted anything like a man.

Manager of a textile plant, spokesman for a sandwich chain, African warlord, there are plenty of jobs where you can bring kids to work everyday.

You forgot owner of a restaurant. Thanks dad! <_<

BTW he called into his office one day and said "I'm giving you a raise." I said "you have to, they just raised minimum wage."

Yeah I was an &#33;@#&#036; even then.

Yeah, he's clearly not mature enough to make dick jokes and brag about sex.......

I didn't create man. Some younger men enjoy dick jokes and sex talk. We come in all walks and forms.

Great teaching moment for the kid.

"What have we learned today son?"

"We learned that if you don't get your way you quit."

Yerp

Yes, yes he is.

Let the kid be a kid and do kid things. Hanging around dad 24 hours a day on the job is not healthy.

What a weird story.

Yerp.

A man who can't be away from his son for a day ? Sounds like Norma and Norman Bates to me.

You forgot lock & dam operator... I'd make my kid chop ice in the winter and drag out disabled boats in the summer... My child would beg me to stay home and play XBox...

Damn pesky lawyers, OSHA, machinery, and modern work culture! If it was only 1938 again!

You forgot owner of a restaurant. Thanks dad! <_<

BTW he called into his office one day and said "I'm giving you a raise." I said "you have to, they just raised minimum wage."

Yeah I was an !@#$ even then.

You got paid?

My wife runs a library... My son "vontunteers." That is, being 17... Young and strong he does any heavy lifting, crappy jobs that they need done when he heads into work w/her for "community service hours."

Kinda like: "Hey, you know how to drive a truck?" "Sure Mom!" He gets into work: "That isn't a truck!... It is a wheelbarrow!" Damn librarians and their word play! "We have some landscaping and some community volunteer hours to offer."

Quitting because you didn't get your way is acting like a man?

I was referring to the fact hat he preferred to act like a father as opposed to a child.

But I'd also suggest that deciding how you want to live your own life as opposed to allowing others to dictate your actions is also acting like a man.

I didn't create man. Some younger men enjoy dick jokes and sex talk. We come in all walks and forms.

That's fine; have yourself a good time.

But calling a guy a "baby" because he's beyond that kids stuff strikes me as sort of stupid.

If you feel compelled to insult somebody because they're different from you, at least make the insult fit.

Call him a boring old fart instead........

I was referring to the fact hat he preferred to act like a father as opposed to a child.

But I'd also suggest that deciding how you want to live your own life as opposed to allowing others to dictate your actions is also acting like a man.

That's fine; have yourself a good time.

But calling a guy a "baby" because he's beyond that kids stuff strikes me as sort of stupid.

If you feel compelled to insult somebody because they're different from you, at least make the insult fit.

Call him a boring old fart instead........

Fair enough. I think he's a baby because he walked away 24 hours after management told him don't bring your kid to work EVERY day.

Yup obligations to a team, teammates, city, etc be damned. And quitting because he cannot take his child to work every day is not acting like a father. Seems more like an overbearing parent which is all too common these days.

When you were this kiddo's age, would you have wanted to be around your dad all day long forever?

That would have been my worst nightmare. My dad worked in a laboratory. Lots of peering into microscopes and clean rooms. No snacks. No talking. And everyone wore ties.

he's an out of control helicopter dad

If he was dragging the kid in there or forcing him into things he didn't want to be involved in, then I totally agree with you.

But if the kid was asking to come to the park for home games and he was just trying to spend some extra time with him before he grows up and disappears, then I'm not going to give him hell for it.

If he was dragging the kid in there or forcing him into things he didn't want to be involved in, then I totally agree with you.

But if the kid was asking to come to the park for home games and he was just trying to spend some extra time with him before he grows up and disappears, then I'm not going to give him hell for it.

From what I've read here anyway was it was everyday. Even if the kid was begging to come dad needs to say no. A few times is ok but he needs to be hanging around with kids his own age. If I had kids the last place I'd want him hanging out is in a professional sports team locker room. :lol: