Is Adam LaRoche a little much ?

Maury Ballstein

Adam LaRoche walks away from 13 million dollars to play this season for the Chicago White Sox.

He brings his kid to the ballpark every day. Allegedly he caught an attitude as White Sox management tells him to bring the kid sometimes but not every day.

Kid even had the locker in the locker room next to pops.

I don't think the White Sox are asking for too much.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the teen being homeschooled? Kid is 14... Illinois allows 15 year olds to start driving, think his son would want to be elsewhere.

Then ontop of it LaRoche, 36 has ADHD... Takes meds for it. I wonder if that played a part when he didn't get his way.

I don't think The Sox are being unreasonable if Adam was treating the clubhouse as a homeschool classroom? The kid was there 100% of the time... When does he go to school?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I can't think of another job where you can bring a teen to work with you every day.

There was a time not so long ago, when it was common practice in various trades. Heck, because they lived at work! Ha!

Up until the 1950's or so, lockmasters had houses on site at lock & dams... Federal lock & dams. Caretakers, like lighthouse tenders. AND OF course a team of workers, more especially when lock operations were hand operated.

I talked to an old-timer down at another lock on the Illinois Waterway. This had to be 20 or so years ago when I talked to him. He was telling me "the culture" was so that the lock operators were expected to do the laundry and even change the diapers of the lockmaster's babies... LMAO! We still change diapers! Some Fed workers are real infants! :-( :-( LoL... ;-(

One towboat pilot a bunch of years ago bought an old lockmaster house on the Upper MS and moved it by barge to another location.

Anyway... I guess the times and culture change, especially in public service.

True. It is a family game. Didn't Barry Bonds "grow up" in the clubhouse. Bond's father was Bobby & Godfather is Willie Mays.

I guess for some but when the Sox GM is under intense scrutiny and wants to tighten up the atmosphere a little with no kids around he should be able to do so.

I guess for some but when the Sox GM is under intense scrutiny and wants to tighten up the atmosphere a little with no kids around he should be able to do so.

I agree... Times changed. These dudes get big bucks and the expectations are enormous. So many other issues too in today's society/culture.

I wonder how this affects Drake. Talk about someone who needs to dial back how much he hangs around pro athletes.

I mentioned Barry Bonds... I wonder what he saw growing up in the wilder times!

LaRoche is a devout Christian though. Maybe having the kid around all the time drove some other players to complain?

Work is not a daycare. Maybe years ago it was. My job and site [insert daycare joke here...Ha Ha], there WAS a gray area, it can almost be like home with 25 acres of park land. Some employees would push it (kids to work when they were in a pinch) years ago... Again, not too many years removed from the decades when it was accepted.

Job culture has changed... Even in baseball too! Righty so!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I think it's okay to have the kid in there sometimes, but the clubhouse is the players "place." It's where they can shed whatever public persona or PR agenda they have and cuss, gossip, tell crude stories/jokes, pull pranks on others, vent, etc... probably some players felt that having a kid around "all the time" prevented that from happening.

The only analogy I can think of is if you have a group of buddies that you meet regularly or semi-regularly for beers, golf, bowling, whatever. What if one of those guys insisted on always bringing his kid along? Eventually, one of you guys would have to pull him aside and ask him not to bring the kid along all the time. In this case LaRoche decided he's not going to hang out with you guys for beers anymore.

It was his choice to make. And like 4mer said, they could have asked him to stop sucking as well.

Edited by Bullpen

I think both sides are right. It's laroche's prerogative to retire if he feels that it is that important.

I feel he's being a baby. If one of his teammates wants to talk about the 4 girls he banged last night he can't do it because baby LaRoche is in the building.

It's a locker room. Cursing, inappropriate music, penises and balls abound.

Is the teen being homeschooled? Kid is 14... Illinois allows 15 year olds to start driving, think his son would want to be elsewhere.

Then ontop of it LaRoche, 36 has ADHD... Takes meds for it. I wonder if that played a part when he didn't get his way.

I don't think The Sox are being unreasonable if Adam was treating the clubhouse as a homeschool classroom? The kid was there 100% of the time... When does he go to school?

Hes home schooled.

I feel he's being a baby. If one of his teammates wants to talk about the 4 girls he banged last night he can't do it because baby LaRoche is in the building.

It's a locker room. Cursing, inappropriate music, penises and balls abound.

Maybe the kid likes to hear about the 4 chicks that got banged!

I think both sides are right. It's laroche's prerogative to retire if he feels that it is that important.

Exactly! Spot on!

Management is being reasonable in asking him to tone it down too... Even stop the practice all together if they want bringing his child in to end.

Now... Maybe find a job for Drake to do around the Clubhouse? Help the equipment manager,trainer, etc... ??? Is he doing something like that. You know that would happen in the old days. Use the young teens physical labor to do some odds and ends.

Or is his kid just a prima donna player type? Does he have a function in the Clubhouse? Treat it like Disney and employment there. Make it like "Mickey's Clubhouse"... From the lowest guy to the highest star, "we all pitch in." Maybe Kenny Williams can find some odd jobs he can do?

I think it's okay to have the kid in there sometimes, but the clubhouse is the players "place." It's where they can shed whatever public persona or PR agenda they have and cuss, gossip, tell crude stories/jokes, pull pranks on others, vent, etc... probably some players felt that having a kid around "all the time" prevented that from happening.

The only analogy I can think of is if you have a group of buddies that you meet regularly or semi-regularly for beers, golf, bowling, whatever. What if one of those guys insisted on always bringing his kid along? Eventually, one of you guys would have to pull him aside and ask him not to bring the kid along all the time. In this case LaRoche decided he's not going to hang out with you guys for beers anymore.

It was his choice to make. And like 4mer said, they could have asked him to stop sucking as well.

This too! +1000!

This sounds like the typical sports talk show topic -- a lot of blather about nothing.

I'd guess he retired more as a result of being 36, having sharply declining skills and having already made $73MM in his baseball career.

Yeah, he's clearly not mature enough to make dick jokes and brag about sex.......

You can't question that having a kid (now 14 & I assume younger in years past) in the locker room would inhibit nearly every player at some time in some way. He made a decision and that's his choice just like it is the team's choice to set parameters around all kids in the LR.