March Movies: Batman V. Superman, 10 Cloverfield Lane...

Mark Vader

Too bad they can't just sell the rights back if it flops.

Despite being the foundation of the franchise, Batman ruined the universe. Trying to hammer that tone and style to fit other characters is a mistake. B v S (in the comics) was epic because it contrasted the ultra light Superman, with the deeply dark Batman. If they're both goth, it sucks.

Unlike others, the only film I still have high hopes for is Wonder Woman. Modernizing her actually fits. I expect Suicide Squad to be average and Aquaman to bomb worse than Fantastic Four. (has anyone ever like Mamoa in anything?)

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad they can't just sell the rights back if it flops.

Despite being the foundation of the franchise, Batman ruined the universe. Trying to hammer that tone and style to fit other characters is a mistake. B v S (in the comics) was epic because it contrasted the ultra light Superman, with the deeply dark Batman. If they're both goth, it sucks.

Unlike others, the only film I still have high hopes for is Wonder Woman. Modernizing her actually fits. I expect Suicide Squad to be average and Aquaman to bomb worse than Fantastic Four. (has anyone ever like Mamoa in anything?)

Honestly Flash should be front and center. They should have basically used him as an Iron-Man-like foundation. Then contrast him with Batman. Superman just needs to be relegated at this point. They can't reliably hit with him on-screen so they should mitigate his ability to drag everything else down.

I watched a few comic movies recently and in Age of Ultron there is a scene where they are all just drinking and joking around and trying to lift Thor's hammer. That scene (basically about nothing...nothing plot oriented anyway) is better than any scene DC has put out. They just can't seem to have any scenes where the characters are together and it's just working. There's just nothing easy or human in their movies.

Edited by dayman

Ouch...

BvS drops 81%, pulls in less than Deadpool in its 2nd weekend: http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/batman-v-superman-record-box-office-drop/

"Whereas BvS hauled in a record amount of receipts in its premiere weekend, it has now dropped a record amount in its second. It was only predicted to make $58 million, but it missed even that low prediction by more than $5 million. Turns out not even the joy of seeing Wonder Woman on screen for the first time in decades makes people want to leave their houses to see Batman and Superman fight each other. To make matters even worse, the movie was going up against basically no new competition this weekend and no other comic book fare or action films. Not exactly the vote of confidence from the public that some were expecting, especially since the film has been hyped constantly for going on three years at this point."

(Variety has the film dropping slightly less, 68%, btw. Not sure which number is the most accurate, but it was not a good weekend for the caped crusader and Supes)

Ouch...

BvS drops 81%, pulls in less than Deadpool in its 2nd weekend: http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/batman-v-superman-record-box-office-drop/

"Whereas BvS hauled in a record amount of receipts in its premiere weekend, it has now dropped a record amount in its second. It was only predicted to make $58 million, but it missed even that low prediction by more than $5 million. Turns out not even the joy of seeing Wonder Woman on screen for the first time in decades makes people want to leave their houses to see Batman and Superman fight each other. To make matters even worse, the movie was going up against basically no new competition this weekend and no other comic book fare or action films. Not exactly the vote of confidence from the public that some were expecting, especially since the film has been hyped constantly for going on three years at this point."

(Variety has the film dropping slightly less, 68%, btw. Not sure which number is the most accurate, but it was not a good weekend for the caped crusader and Supes)

Ouch.

What's next weekend's projection? Three grand?

Hahaha less then Deadpool. Deadpool came out so long ago it is funny it still can't beat if.

It's certainly bad optics for WB. Deadpool was made for under 60 million, starred a much less popular and iconic hero, and was a hard R. Despite a film with Super-man, Batman, Wonder Woman -- DC's biggest names -- and a budget of close to 500 million, they still couldn't match the pace of Marvel's lesser known hero.

Vader called it a few weeks ago, this kind of drop in only the second week of release really hurts BvS's chances of matching Deadpool domestically (over 600 million, BvS is hovering around 260 currently).

Hahaha less then Deadpool. Deadpool came out so long ago it is funny it still can't beat if.

Clarification: BvS's second weekend didn't beat Deadpool's second weekend ($50m vs. $55m). BvS handily beat Deadpool this weekend - $55m to $3m.

And BvS only beat Deadpool's opening weekend by about $30-40m (too lazy to look it up).

Warner Brothers executives have to be shitting their pants over this.

Clarification: BvS's second weekend didn't beat Deadpool's second weekend ($50m vs. $55m). BvS handily beat Deadpool this weekend - $55m to $3m.

And BvS only beat Deadpool's opening weekend by about $30-40m (too lazy to look it up).

Spot on.

As for the bolded, it wouldn't be surprising to me to hear that the execs from Fox who worked on Deadpool sent some flowers over to WB lot tomorrow, all signed by Deadpool of course.

As for the bolded, it wouldn't be surprising to me to hear that the execs from Fox who worked on Deadpool sent some flowers over to WB lot tomorrow, all signed by Deadpool of course.

Is "Guy who trolls other studio executives" a job? Because if so, I want it.

It's certainly bad optics for WB. Deadpool was made for under 60 million, starred a much less popular and iconic hero, and was a hard R. Despite a film with Super-man, Batman, Wonder Woman -- DC's biggest names -- and a budget of close to 500 million, they still couldn't match the pace of Marvel's lesser known hero.

Vader called it a few weeks ago, this kind of drop in only the second week of release really hurts BvS's chances of matching Deadpool domestically (over 600 million, BvS is hovering around 260 currently).

According to Box Office Guru, they have the drop for BvS at 68%, as you reported earlier. Not as alarming as the 81% projection that some reports had, but this is very troubling news for Warner Bros. & DC.

Also, the idea of Deadpool outgrossing BvS domestically, now looks like a reality.

Correct, BvS did better it's second weekend than Deadpool, but Bvs opened during a holiday weekend, whereas Deadpool opened in the middle of February.

Spot on.

20th Century Fox has to be laughing at Warner Bros.

The one thing saving BvS is that it will make a lot more money internationally, as did "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides".

What's even more impressive about Deadpool, is that it was not filmed in 3D, and it has not opened in China.

I want it too. Maybe DC Tom and I can work together on this.

How many of you have actually seen the movie? This whole thing is bordering on obsession.

Eh, I'm just a nerd about the business side of the industry and know it's inside baseball to most.

Also I have not seen the movie yet. Plan to, but have not.

I want it too. Maybe DC Tom and I can work together on this.

:lol: I don't think there is an official position for it but it happens. I've seen it first hand and it's usually hilarious. It's such a competitive industry, and surprisingly small, there are definitely a lot of grudges (some friendly, others not) that get built up over time -- and that's not including the rivalry between the studios themselves.

How many of you have actually seen the movie? This whole thing is bordering on obsession.

Don't have to see the movie to know the business-side of the film is unfolding in to a train wreck.

And that's probably more entertaining than the film, at this point.

I've seen it.

While I don't hate it, I can understand why people do. It's a B-movie masquerading as an epic franchise builder. It's like someone telling you for months that the greatest sandwich they've ever had is from subway.

I have. It's a flawed movie, but I enjoyed it quite a bit, and I don't understand the hate, personally. There's some stuff that is cut together somewhat quickly and either needed to be removed, or expanded on, which ruins the flow of the movie... but there's also a lot to like, including the acting of the big three, and Luthor, as well as how well Snyder applies comic book panels to the big screen.

I have. It's a flawed movie, but I enjoyed it quite a bit, and I don't understand the hate, personally. There's some stuff that is cut together somewhat quickly and either needed to be removed, or expanded on, which ruins the flow of the movie... but there's also a lot to like, including the acting of the big three, and Luthor, as well as how well Snyder applies comic book panels to the big screen.

Surprised at your take on Luther, almost everyone I know (and online) think he's wrong for the part. Too jokerish for a guy that is supposed to be calm and Presidential.

While Snyder's use of the moving comic panel style looked great, it makes the film too erratic-like jump cuts-from panel to panel. I agree it ruins the flow.

The acting of Eisenberg was really good, the way Lex was written and characterized by the creators not so much, if that makes sense. I wasn't a huge fan of how they changed Lex to be so eccentric, but they did, and Eisenberg nailed that.

The acting of Eisenberg was really good, the way Lex was written and characterized by the creators not so much, if that makes sense. I wasn't a huge fan of how they changed Lex to be so eccentric, but they did, and Eisenberg nailed that.

I guess we can't be angry at actors for doing what they're good at.... which makes sense because they cast him. Although hoping for a Keaton, Ruffalo, or Ledger transformation was asking too much. At least it's better than Spacey.

If they had emphasized the Darkseid connection more, it would make sense. (Luthor's behavior). Very few people caught the hints to that, (I had inklings), makes the plot less... implausible and out of character. Knowing the intended plot for the JL movie also would have helped audiences (and not just leak it to the fanboys at comiccon). That's what happens when you turn easter eggs into entire scenes.

-So...we're going to spend a lot of time on this... it has nothing to do with the movie you're watching, and we'll never mention it again here... but keep it in mind for the next movie... okay?

Imagine if we didn't know about the infinity gauntlet and Thanos. Most people would be asking... what the hell with all the glowing rocks?

I only found out about it after browsing the internet (after watching) to figure out what the hell I just saw. Improved my grade from C to B+.