Chaos In Chicago!

Forgot OKC?

Not saying unbridled peace, yet through every era there were incidents of unrest... Yet we haven't seen major upheaval since the 1960's...

I did.

I'm not sure how you can make that claim when looking at the list above. The Rodney King riots alone were major upheaval. The only thing that's changed since the 1960s is the ability to distract the american public from the unrest going on around them. Distraction doesn't mean fixing the problems. They've only just made it more difficult for you (the average American voter) to get accurate information in a timely manner.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did.

I'm not sure how you can make that claim when looking at the list above. The Rodney King riots alone were major upheaval. The only thing that's changed since the 1960s is the ability to distract the american public from the unrest going on around them. Distraction doesn't mean fixing the problems. They've only just made it more difficult for you (the average American voter) to get accurate information in a timely manner.

Kim Kardashian just posted new baby pictures to IG. Totes cute, that dress be looking craycray.

in your mind. but, i am sure those who were at occupy wall street disagree. or those stuck in traffic near st louis or los angeles. or the people killed across the country you seem to forget.

OWS is rather recent... The thread I am trying to find was around that time and how things are ebbing back to the 60's turmoil. It is every so many years the cycle. The "Era of Good Feelings" was the only break in that cycle.

OWS is rather recent... The thread I am trying to find was around that time and how things are ebbing back to the 60's turmoil. It is every so many years the cycle. The "Era of Good Feelings" was the only break in that cycle.

It was half a decade ago now, and it wasn't even the worst of the domestic unrest to be unleashed on the nation since your 1970's timeline.

Again, the only difference today is our shortened attention spans as a nation. Which, some could argue, has been artificially lowered through technology and diet in a deliberate effort to keep us a passive population who doesn't have the energy nor desire to protest.

It was half a decade ago now, and it wasn't even the worst of the domestic unrest to be unleashed on the nation since your 1970's timeline.

Again, the only difference today is our shortened attention spans as a nation. Which, some could argue, has been artificially lowered through technology and diet in a deliberate effort to keep us a passive population who doesn't have the energy nor desire to protest.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/148382-will-the-us-really-experience-a-violent-upheaval-in-2020/

http://news.yahoo.com/us-really-experience-violent-upheaval-2020-162332158.html

hdV6dk93_bigger.jpg ThinkProgressVerified account @thinkprogress 59m59 minutes ago

How activists mobilized to shut down Trump in Chicago http://thkpr.gs/3759465

Media still blaming Trump even though Bernie's people proudly took responsibility last night. @People4Bernie.........that's what the media thinks of us

Shutting down/shouting down opposing viewpoints common on today's campus by so called 'progressives'

Conservatives have opposed it there.............and we oppose it in Chicago

The Weimar leftists are out to do to America what they did to Germany.

They are extremes... Stalin was on Hitler's left.

Yes... Extreme comparison, but there you have the spectrum of political movement. Both ends are bound by authoritarian leaders. Of course we as a nation are in the very deep middle... But as you move right/nationalistic or left/communism... Which is better?

They are extremes... Stalin was on Hitler's left.

Yes... Extreme comparison, but there you have the spectrum of political movement. Both ends are bound by authoritarian leaders. Of course we as a nation are in the very deep middle... But as you move right/nationalistic or left/communism... Which is better?

Communists have a pretty efficient record at killing their citizens en masse

Yeah, that article and theory is pretty much dog shite. It completely ignores present day history (which at the time that article was published was anything but hunky dory) while ignoring "cycles" of history that disprove it.

The evidence is there for all to see. There has been continuous unrest in this country (and the world), the folks running the show have just gotten better at keeping the country distracted with the unimportant and superfluous. (edit: or we have gotten better at keeping ourselves distracted with the unimportant and superfluous.)

No doubt... I am of German/Polish (Pomerania) descent.

Katyn Forest comes to mind. Yet, a murderous commie can't beat the deadly efficiency of a German industrialist gone nationalistic. Simply no match.

Not many, if any, murderous "commies" have had the type of industrial power at their disposal like we have in the US today.

Edited by Deranged Rhino

Yeah, that article and theory is pretty much dog shite. It completely ignores present day history (which at the time that article was published was anything but hunky dory) while ignoring "cycles" of history that disprove it.

The evidence is there for all to see. There has been continuous unrest in this country (and the world), the folks running the show have just gotten better at keeping the country distracted with the unimportant and superfluous.

Yeah... There is those two words that change everything: major upheaval.

An isolated incident from year to year... Even one or two riots 8 years apart is bad! I was born in 1968... So I don't remember the upheaval... But it was pretty major, basically issues coming out of all corners of the country... Especially in the cities, school race riots, etc...

Yeah... There is those two words that change everything: major upheaval.

An isolated incident from year to year... Even one or two riots 8 years apart is bad! I was born in 1968... So I don't remember the upheaval... But it was pretty major, basically issues coming out of all corners of the country... Especially in the cities, school race riots, etc...

But what's the point of putting qualifiers into your premise? We can quibble all day about what defines a major upheaval. I'd say the riots in Los Angeles, Occupy Wallstreet, Ferguson, not to mention OKC, Boston, and 9/11 would qualify as major upheavals based on the price tags and casualty counts alone. That's 6 major upheavals in just the last 20 years.

Like I said, it's a poor theory and not reflective of reality. Which is what the folks running the show want. A distorted reality keeps us complacent and compliant.

You think the media back then reported on all the issues? Probably overwhelmed that they couldn't cover ever little riots in cities... BFLo, Detroit, etc...

You know why the new UB campus in Amherst was originally built the way it was... Right? A lot of the design was a direct result of what was learned during the anti-war movement.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

You think the media back then reported on all the issues? Probably overwhelmed that they couldn't cover ever little riots in cities... BFLo, Detroit, etc...

You know why the new UB campus in Amherst was originally built the way it was... Right? A lot of the design was a direct result of what was learned during the anti-war movement.

What? Where did I say they did? I'm not even sure where you're taking the conversation now.

But what's the point of putting qualifiers into your premise? We can quibble all day about what defines a major upheaval. I'd say the riots in Los Angeles, Occupy Wallstreet, Ferguson, not to mention OKC, Boston, and 9/11 would qualify as major upheavals based on the price tags and casualty counts alone. That's 6 major upheavals in just the last 20 years.

Like I said, it's a poor theory and not reflective of reality. Which is what the folks running the show want. A distorted reality keeps us complacent and compliant.

Major upheaval is what happens when incidents take off in multiple cities... Yes, we are seeing that more than in the 40 years between 1970-2010. All major cities had their trouble.

True... We are doing a better job quelling the fires before they jump to other cities. That is the point they are making, seems we are going on an uptick... But nowhere close to the past cycles. Will it change or will we be able to quell the fires like in the past?

What? Where did I say they did? I'm not even sure where you're taking the conversation now.

I am sorry. That is not what I meant. Just asking you a question.

I am just carrying the convo into all things civil unrest. Sorry... Free Form

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Major upheaval is what happens when incidents take off in multiple cities... Yes, we are seeing that more than in the 40 years between 1970-2010. All major cities had their trouble.

True... We are doing a better job quelling the fires before they jump to other cities. That is the point they are making, seems we are going on an uptick... But nowhere close to the past cycles. Will it change or will we be able to quell the fires like in the past?

I am sorry. That is not what I meant. Just asking you a question.

I am just carrying the convo into all things civil unrest. Sorry... Free Form

It's all good, I just wasn't following and didn't want to go down the wrong rabbit hole where we are talking past one another instead of with each other.

The media certainly didn't cover everything back then, but there were more professionals in the field. The media, while still controlled (imo), was more thorough and capable because there wasn't as much of a rush to be first. There was less competition so the onus was on being accurate first and foremost. The 24 hour news cycle changed that mentality, suddenly cable networks had HOURS to fill and sensationalist journalism took off. Not that it was unique to that period, everyone studied yellow journalism in history at some point in their lives. The "If it bleeds it leads" mentality, coupled with a slow but steady consolidation of media companies and the rise of the internet, made journalistic integrity secondary to breaking a story (even an inaccurate one).

Unrest is bad for business. Corporate media is owned by companies that depend on consumers continuing to consume. There's actual profit today for corporate media conglomerates to not cover issues that threaten their bottom lines. Take the TPP for example. This should be a major story on every network. But it's not. And when candidates like Trump talk about TPP, networks CUT TO COMMERCIAL (no shite, this happened this week -- and that's NOT an endorsement of Trump for the record lol). I point that out as an example that the media itself is no longer interested in journalism, only profits and protecting the profit centers of their corporate owners.

The good news is it's easier than ever to stick your head in the sand thanks to this dismantling of the fourth estate. Sure, you can find good journalists and news sources all over the web and even in the MSM if you look hard enough but not many do. Why would they? Most people don't get their news from news sources anymore anyway. It comes through their own preferred filtration mouthpiece. Those who lean left or right or centrist have their own sources of "news" they can get. Of course this only furthers the division in the country and makes it easier to distract the masses with the superfluous and inane.

Why don't you guys just drop the facade and come out and say it....you think BO is just a niqqer and wasn't your President....feel the hate...feels good doesn't it

Why don't you just drop the facade and come out and say it, why the Qs instead of Gs?

Why don't you stay to defend your posting dreck?

Why does criticism of Obama immediately bring up the Pavlovian racist card?

Why can't people call him a feckless, thin skinned narcissist, who's a horrible President?

Is that because the truth hurts?

The nature of Mr. Trump’s appeal can be explained by Mr. Obama’s own rule-by-regulation governing methods and polarizing political style. You might even call him The Barack, the more articulate and sophisticated liberal antecedent to The Donald.

Good. Hope they go, disrupt and start violence.

I think **** is going to get bad this summer. I hope I'm wrong but I predict there will be more rioting and unrest on the scale of fergeuson the more these political sides are in conflict. You have all the agitators of idiotlivesmatter, communist activists all stirring the pot to get the Bern supporters (who's candidate will already be eliminated by then and they will be bitter) and OWS types all riled up and on the other side are the trump supporters who will still be here because unless trump is assassinated I don't forsee a realistic scenario where he is not the nominee. Typically the right side of the political spectrum tends to stay out of the rioting and just go to work, but I see a very energized, angry and fed up group and I don't know if they will behave as predictably as in the past. I think it's going to get real ugly.