CTE case award in Pop Warner football

http://nypost.com/2016/03/08/pop-warner-football-settles-concussion-lawsuit/

The suit had sought at least $5 million in punitive damages for Joseph Chernach, who killed himself at age 25 in 2012. An autopsy found he had chronic traumatic encephalopathy — a brain disease caused by repeated head hits and a contributor to depression and other mental health problems.

The settlement is less than the $2 million liability policy Pop Warner had for each player, according to one source.

“They gave some money to the family but not the full policy,” the source said. “It’s tough to say this is a win [for the family].”

So since many NFL players also played Pop Warner football wonder if fact that CTE can occur before players even enter college will become issue in new suits; It could even be caused by other sports or activity. But NFL has biggest pocketbook so will pay the most.

So since many NFL players also played Pop Warner football wonder if fact that CTE can occur before players even enter college will become issue in new suits; It could even be caused by other sports or activity. But NFL has biggest pocketbook so will pay the most.

It also raises the argument that the NFL is not responsible for the damage because it's impossible to know when it started and which specific head traumas were the issue.

The kid played from 1997 to 2000...killed himself in 2012. Mother sues Pop Warner for not preventing it twelve years before the fact, and two years before CTE was even known? (Omalu did the research in 2002, published in 2005.)

Pop Warner settled for not doing something about something that wasn't even known at the time they were "supposed to" have taken action?

God, I love this country... :lol:

It was known before Omalu that head injuries could cause personalty shifts and cognitive issues.

When I started playing high school football in mid 70's my parents had to sign waivers and it included phrases to that effect and that we were to report any symptoms.

He was more responsible for giving it a name and categorizing/itemizing injuries to brain in examination after death.

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

There is no proof that repeatedly using the smiley causes brain damage although there is some evidence; the board should require a waiver before you are able to post so 50 years later some laywer will not press lawsuit saying repeated use caused cognitive issues.

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

It's a common reaction to publicized soundbites about lawsuits, but sometimes there is more to it than that. eg the famous McDonalds spilled coffee lawsuit doesn't mention that McDonalds knew their coffee was at a temperature that could cause severe burns and were deliberately following a corporate policy of maintaining that temperature and settling burn cases, or that the woman required skin grafts.

So I reserve judgement on the merits of the Pop Warner case. But I may suffer traumatic brain injury from watching your emojis.

It's a common reaction to publicized soundbites about lawsuits, but sometimes there is more to it than that. eg the famous McDonalds spilled coffee lawsuit doesn't mention that McDonalds knew their coffee was at a temperature that could cause severe burns and were deliberately following a corporate policy of maintaining that temperature and settling burn cases, or that the woman required skin grafts.

So I reserve judgement on the merits of the Pop Warner case. But I may suffer traumatic brain injury from watching your emojis.

This is nothing like the McDonalds case. There is no evidence of prior knowledge by Pop Warner. No coverup. See DC Toms post.

It's really strange that they settled this suit even before the judge could decide on their motion to dismiss. This will be an expensive mistake for Pop Warner.

The kid played from 1997 to 2000...killed himself in 2012. Mother sues Pop Warner for not preventing it twelve years before the fact, and two years before CTE was even known? (Omalu did the research in 2002, published in 2005.)

Pop Warner settled for not doing something about something that wasn't even known at the time they were "supposed to" have taken action?

Well played sir.

Shipbuilders and construction companies didn't know that asbestos was as nasty as it is at the time, nor were they able to project the impact of exposure to it.

This is nothing like the McDonalds case. There is no evidence of prior knowledge by Pop Warner. No coverup. See DC Toms post.

It's really strange that they settled this suit even before the judge could decide on their motion to dismiss. This will be an expensive mistake for Pop Warner.

The point isn't that the McDonalds case is similar in one specific aspect (evidence of prior knowledge). The point is that, like many publicized cases that sound specious, there may be information critical to the merits that is not publicized. But "thank you for playing"

I'd ask why you are so certain what evidence there is or is not, but I believe know the answer: you don't.

I'm just not sure where the sport can go from here nor all the other contact sports (even including soccer)nowhere concussions happen.

Perhaps we are all destined to be avatars in a virtual game with no exposure to any contact whatsoever

Shipbuilders and construction companies didn't know that asbestos was as nasty as it is at the time, nor were they able to project the impact of exposure to it.

The asbestos manufacturers were the significant defendents.

The point isn't that the McDonalds case is similar in one specific aspect (evidence of prior knowledge). The point is that, like many publicized cases that sound specious, there may be information critical to the merits that is not publicized. But "thank you for playing"

I'd ask why you are so certain what evidence there is or is not, but I believe know the answer: you don't.

Prior knowledge IS the point of comparison. McDonalds was judged "willful and careless" due tor their significantly hotter mandatory coffee temp at the point of sale.

What are the unpublicized facts that you imagine that would point to culpability of a little league football group? Internal memos and emails that Pop Warner knew of the risks of concussions on the psychological well being of adults who played youth football?

Come on, "play" along. Let's hear what your thoughts are (other than "nobody knows what we don't know").

I think the case could be made that letting pre-teens get hit in the head over and over again is negligent.

We've known that getting hit in the head is bad for a very very long time.

Edited by Steve Billieve