Doug Marone - Still not a Head Coach

I always liked Marrone and what he brought to this team. As Schefter said, Marrone is a highly coveted head coaching candidate and I can see a few teams putting him at the top of their list if their current head coach starts off with a few losses. He brings discipline, intelligence and experience as a head coach with great successes in his past. Not sure why you guys beat him up so bad all the time. Schefter is usually spot on in his analysis of front office sentiment and, in this case, the majority of GM's around the league would jump at the chance to bring Marrone into the fold.

Not when Schefter has the same agent as Marrone he isn't spot on. All that stuff was to stir the pot for money. It shows no one really wants Marrone, he was overbearing and the team hated him, hell they probably would have been 6-10 last year if he had stayed.

The BROWNS didn't even want him as HC!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because he quit on his team....

That's funny...I thought the team quit on him (refer to: "he's too strict!! waaaaaa", the Raiders game, infighting between Russ and Doug during the pre-Pegula power struggle, etc.). You think a guy with Marrone's credentials is just going to sit back and wait for everyone to take blame themselves for failures clearly attributable to management or the players themselves. He was kicked out the door basically by the "piss poor" attitudes of the players (Orton was comatose half the season) and the front office (Russ was figuring out what the unit cost of white towels made in Ethiopia vs Bangladesh was for the annual "White Out" game). Marrone had no support and to say he "quit" on his team is similar to a coyote walking away from a stripped deer carcass...there was nothing left on the bone.

That's funny...I thought the team quit on him (refer to: "he's too strict!! waaaaaa", the Raiders game, infighting between Russ and Doug during the pre-Pegula power struggle, etc.). You think a guy with Marrone's credentials is just going to sit back and wait for everyone to take blame themselves for failures clearly attributable to management or the players themselves. He was kicked out the door basically by the "piss poor" attitudes of the players (Orton was comatose half the season) and the front office (Russ was figuring out what the unit cost of white towels made in Ethiopia vs Bangladesh was for the annual "White Out" game). Marrone had no support and to say he "quit" on his team is similar to a coyote walking away from a stripped deer carcass...there was nothing left on the bone.

Spin it how you want. Was he fired by the Pegulas? No. Therefore, he did indeed quit.

Spin it how you want. Was he fired by the Pegulas? No. Therefore, he did indeed quit.

Thank you for seeing my point. An employer can make things so unbearable for an employee that the employee has no other option than to walk away. That is precisely what happened in this case. I can only imagine what would have taken place if Marrone held the reigns last year. #fireworks

I always liked Marrone and what he brought to this team. As Schefter said, Marrone is a highly coveted head coaching candidate and I can see a few teams putting him at the top of their list if their current head coach starts off with a few losses. He brings discipline, intelligence and experience as a head coach with great successes in his past. Not sure why you guys beat him up so bad all the time. Schefter is usually spot on in his analysis of front office sentiment and, in this case, the majority of GM's around the league would jump at the chance to bring Marrone into the fold.

Wait a minute. There were several coaching vacancies this offseason. Did he even get an interview?

No, did Gruden? Did Cowher? Did Saban? Did Ditka? How about Chuck Knox? What's your point?

Those guys don't want to be HC... You should have thought harder before throwing this raspberry out.

Edited by Beef Jerky

More proof that only a handful on here truly get it.

Im not a big Marrone guy, but he tried to lead the old fashion way. Go see his post game speeches in the locker room and compare that to ballz licker Rex Ryan. Go see him arguing with Whaley cuz he believed that EJ was terrible. Go see him tell Spiller to man up in the huddle.

I dont believe he quit, I believe he knew that he was gonna get fired and and when he smelled smoke in the kitchen, he got out of the house. Pretty funny stuff that a crappy Jags team beat Rex and EJ! The game that basically buried the Bills in 2015!

Wait a minute. There were several coaching vacancies this offseason. Did he even get an interview?

Err... Yes. He interviewed with the Giants and the Browns definitely.

i think Marrones best bet is to take a college H.C. job

Think that might be right actually. Take a high profile college job and do well for a couple of years and he would be back in the NFL. I have said before that I don't see Marrone as a scheme guy in any discernable way.... but he is a decent direction setter and leader.... so a coordinator job doesn't really seem a fit for him.

I know most people hate hard asses and I understand why.... but players coaches don't change losing cultures. Marrone took over a team that was coming off 8 consecutive losing seasons. Arms around shoulders and joking about wasn't going to get that turned around. You take the Coughlin Giants approach or the Vermeil Rams approach.... you start with the hard ass act and then you lighten up as you go once you have done the heavy lifting.

I was hurt back then. I'm a changed man now. I think I really feel a connection to Doug and Adam now.

Time heals all. Especially when Doug sends heartfelt text messages via the team jock launderer explaining his business decision. That was unnecessary but appreciated. it really brought a sense of closure, I think.

Time heals all. Especially when Doug sends heartfelt text messages via the team jock launderer explaining his business decision. That was unnecessary but appreciated. it really brought a sense of closure, I think.

Yes!!! See? You may come around to appreciate his little quirks as much as I do. #secondchances

Yes!!! See? You may come around to appreciate his little quirks as much as I do. #secondchances

every time someone rolls their eyes at me I get a little twinge of appreciation, and I still get a little choked up when I see a coach make the decision to punt in the other team's territory late in the game. He's taught me that when you always try to win, you don't lose as much, and that just takes away from the amount of disgust you can show the local media in the post-game press conference. #lifelessons