AW vs. Rambo

H2o

Rambo was a playmaker for us down the stretch last season. Interceptions, forced fumbles, and he is one of those guys who just loves to hit people. Now that Whaley has come out and said that AW is 100% I wonder what the plan is. I, for one, hope we move AW back to FS and keep Rambo at SS if we don't add anyone for the positions in the offseason. This move leaves Graham coming off the bench in some capacity, but after his performance this past year I don't mind that. Let him be a the 4th or 5th CB. Granted, this is all assuming that AW can continue his career once the pads start flying around. What say you TSW?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rambo was a playmaker for us down the stretch last season. Interceptions, forced fumbles, and he is one of those guys who just loves to hit people. Now that Whaley has come out and said that AW is 100% I wonder what the plan is. I, for one, hope we move AW back to FS and keep Rambo at SS if we don't add anyone for the positions in the offseason. This move leaves Graham coming off the bench in some capacity, but after his performance this past year I don't mind that. Let him be a the 4th or 5th CB. Granted, this is all assuming that AW can continue his career once the pads start flying around. What say you TSW?

The Bills do not make these distinctions with their Safeties in the Rex Ryan defense.

Graham makes too much money to be a 4th or 5th CB.

AW at full strength is a huge addition to this defense. I believe Rambo will be in the picture but not as a definitive starter.

I think Aaron's return spells doom for Corey Graham. That's a shame given that he'd finally have a chance to be coached by his buddy Ed Reed.

He played fine as a run defender, but he was a liability in pass coverage.

I personally think that the plan will be to move forward with Aaron and a draft pick, with Rambo coming off the bench as the 3rd safety.

I think Aaron's return spells doom for Corey Graham. That's a shame given that he'd finally have a chance to be coached by his buddy Ed Reed.

He played fine as a run defender, but he was a liability in pass coverage.

I personally think that the plan will be to move forward with Aaron and a draft pick, with Rambo coming off the bench as the 3rd safety.

I think Graham underachieved in all aspects of Safety play last season. I remember him missing several key tackles in run support beyond his obvious struggles in pass coverage as evidenced by the JAX and PHI games. I would definitely like to see an upgrade at the position to partner with AW.

I think Graham underachieved in all aspects of Safety play last season. I remember him missing several key tackles in run support beyond his obvious struggles in pass coverage as evidenced by the JAX and PHI games. I would definitely like to see an upgrade at the position to partner with AW.

It's funny you say that, because PFF has Corey Graham as the best tackler in the NFL.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/bills/story/1634069-pff-s-best-tackler-corey-graham

It's PFF.

I've taken to referring to that site (and their data) as PFFt -- as in the sound one makes sucking one's teeth.

So they are wrong when they report this?: “Graham had only three missed tackles on 104 attempts, one every 35.7 attempts. It was the best rate among linebackers and safeties.”

AW's mythic status is fast approaching that of Kiko....

Graham makes too much money to be a 4th or 5th CB.

AW at full strength is a huge addition to this defense. I believe Rambo will be in the picture but not as a definitive starter.

Word. Honestly I wouldn't mind having all three on the field w/ priority given to AW and Graham (pending AW is truly 100%, and Graham doesn't age much b/t now and next season) both are tremendously consistent and will be great with other added talent through the offseason and draft. Rambo's consistency has been an issue but usually finds himself in the clutch. Rambo would be better suited for a 2-3 down role with minimal coverage responsibility beyond general zones.

Would like to see us make a move at safety in the draft tbh, but certainly not a top need if AW is truly 100%. Neck injuries can be traumatic like that.

Wrt Graham, this could be a player who might be open to taking a pay cut to stay. He's at the end of his career, he seems very engaged with the team, and in his hometown. If faced with being a cap casualty and having to go to a whole new team, city, learn a new D (and probably not get a very big contract to do so) he might think he's better off staying and retiring here if the cut is reasonable. Just a thought. I'd like to keep him, but not sure he's a solid starter at safety and definitely not at CB. I think the future at safety is AW + rookie.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Wrt Graham, this could be a player who might be open to taking a pay cut to stay. He's at the end of his career, he seems very engaged with the team, and in his hometown. If faced with being a cap casualty and having to go to a whole new team, city, learn a new D (and probably not get a very big contract to do so) he might think he's better off staying and retiring here if the cut is reasonable. Just a thought. I'd like to keep him, but not sure he's a solid starter at safety and definitely not at CB. I think the future at safety is AW + rookie.

Don't discount his relationship with Ed Reed as a factor.

The Bills do not make these distinctions with their Safeties in the Rex Ryan defense.

Can you expand on this, CornerBlitz? I had not realized this.

It's funny you say that, because PFF has Corey Graham as the best tackler in the NFL.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/bills/story/1634069-pff-s-best-tackler-corey-graham

From the link above: "Although Graham proved to be a sure tackler in 2015 his play regressed."

The picture I have is when he got to the right place at the right time and had the chance at a tackle, he made it. But he didn't do so well at getting to the right place at the right time, which is a big part of the safety's job.

Can you expand on this, CornerBlitz? I had not realized this.

They don't have a traditional separation of duties with a SS in the box type with primarily run support responsibilities nor do they have a dedicated FS with a primary responsibility of pass coverage. They expect their safeties to do both things well and interchange responsibilities contingent upon what defense is called in a particular down and distance situation.

What are your thoughts about McKelvin, who went public saying he was open to taking a pay cut and open to playing Safety?