Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi thread

Just Jack

Lucas was the heart and soul of this franchise. Now its just another burger on the grill for the industry to churn out for a buck.

I am seriously starting to lose track of what this story is even about.

Lucas was the heart and soul of this franchise. Now its just another burger on the grill for the industry to churn out for a buck.

with you here. TFA was complete garbage. Total disappointment. This next one already has the feeling of the ESB.

luke getting trained... rey getting trained.

luke was the last jedi, so is maybe rey.

at ats vs. some speeders.

whats the big reveal going to be in the end though?

im hoping its kylo turning good, and rey turning bad. we will see

3580810-9049500674-jar-.j.jpeg

dude jar jar binks is the ****.

550x298_Michael-B--Jordan-to-play-Boba-F

i loled

Really? Have you seen Rogue 1? That was the best film in the franchise since Empire . . .

Really? Have you seen Rogue 1? That was the best film in the franchise since Empire . . .

I bought it, been trying to watch it for a week but havent been able to finish it because ive been super busy. Im hoping to finish it today.

I just mean im losing track of the characters, i havent been able to develop as close a connection to the characters as i was able to with Han, Luke, Chewy and Leia. Because they just keep skipping around in the timeline and now releasing a new one about 6 months after Rouge one.

Im used to waiting 3-4 years for the new ones like Lucas did, he was such a perfectionist about them it took him SO long to release one.

Rouge One seems great but how the heck are you supposed to connect to the characters, who the heck are those people? They arent nearly as interesting as the old gang, which is a major part of what made Star Wars great, to me.

Ill still watch them all, Disney is just cartooning them up and pumping them out like hotcakes.

I bought it, been trying to watch it for a week but havent been able to finish it because ive been super busy. Im hoping to finish it today.

I just mean im losing track of the characters, i havent been able to develop as close a connection to the characters as i was able to with Han, Luke, Chewy and Leia. Because they just keep skipping around in the timeline and now releasing a new one about 6 months after Rouge one.

Im used to waiting 3-4 years for the new ones like Lucas did, he was such a perfectionist about them it took him SO long to release one.

Rouge One seems great but how the heck are you supposed to connect to the characters, who the heck are those people? They arent nearly as interesting as the old gang, which is a major part of what made Star Wars great, to me.

Ill still watch them all, Disney is just cartooning them up and pumping them out like hotcakes.

I get what you are saying about George Lucas, he did a masterful job with the Star Wars saga. I know people have issues with the prequels, which is understandable, I do too. Although I love "Revenge of the Sith". Lucas did not deserve the bashing he got from fans about the prequels.

I am amazed at how some people are saying how bad "The Force Awakens" is. Sure there are similarities to the original trilogy, but it sure captured all the nuances of what Star Wars is. I think some people are expecting a lot more from these movies than they should be.

"Rogue One" was an exceptional movie, because it gave us a different angle in the Star Wars universe. I understand how it is difficult to connect to all of the characters, but it still delivers.

I disagree with you on the idea that Disney is "cartooning" them up. They have gathered some very fine talent both on the screen and behind the screen. Yes, they are churning them out, but not all of these movies are all apart of the original story line. Some of them are spinoffs. Look at what Disney has done with the Marvel movies. The overwhelming majority of them have been exceptional.

lucas did a great job of casting those people. he also made it so all of them shared the screen together, whether it was in the cockpit of the millenium falcon, escaping the death star, or celebrating the victory in yavin 4.

it had this whole communal aspect about it, which was very nice. you never felt like the story was necessarily about one person, but about them as a whole. i cant say any of that regarding the TFA.

rogue one was much better than tfa though. gyn was and is so much cooler than rey.

Edited by GETTOTHE50

I get what you are saying about George Lucas, he did a masterful job with the Star Wars saga. I know people have issues with the prequels, which is understandable, I do too. Although I love "Revenge of the Sith". Lucas did not deserve the bashing he got from fans about the prequels.

I am amazed at how some people are saying how bad "The Force Awakens" is. Sure there are similarities to the original trilogy, but it sure captured all the nuances of what Star Wars is. I think some people are expecting a lot more from these movies than they should be.

"Rogue One" was an exceptional movie, because it gave us a different angle in the Star Wars universe. I understand how it is difficult to connect to all of the characters, but it still delivers.

I disagree with you on the idea that Disney is "cartooning" them up. They have gathered some very fine talent both on the screen and behind the screen. Yes, they are churning them out, but not all of these movies are all apart of the original story line. Some of them are spinoffs. Look at what Disney has done with the Marvel movies. The overwhelming majority of them have been exceptional.

regarding the prequels...they were terrible imo. and not because of the reasons most people state. i was fine with jar jar, and pod racing, and all the silly childish stuff that people hated (although the darth vader "noooooooo!" at the end of III was just embarrasing). that stuff reminded me of jedi, and i liked jedi.

the problem with the prequels was that the acting and storytelling went to crap. it was not a believable universe. the acting was atrocious. the only person who was remotely decent was obiwan. and the storytelling was so bad: honestly, how do you ruin the mystic of something like "the force"? what a beautiful thing to just leave in the spectator's minds and hearts to figure out for themselves. how do you ruin a wonderfully tortured soul like vader, turn him into a joke, when all he had to do in the first movies is show up and he was frightening, and of course the twist which made him human/a tragic character. turning from good to wholey evil for no real good reason. no actual intrigue into how he came to be evil, simply the ultimate copout really. i'm no writer, but he should have been betrayed by obiwan first and THEN turned. and it should have been a long process to turn, not just "one day i decide to embrace the dark and kill children"

imo lucas deserved the flak he got. he was the director. his actors sucked. his story sucked. that's on him. visuals and fun stuff was great, but that's all it was, fluff and nothing else. nothing deep AT ALL.

imo lucas deserved the flak he got. he was the director. his actors sucked. his story sucked. that's on him. visuals and fun stuff was great, but that's all it was, fluff and nothing else. nothing deep AT ALL.

You're hitting on a question that can be asked about most artists who are talented enough to have long careers. That question was best phrased in the movie High Fidelity by Jack Black when talking about Stevie Wonder (0:50 mark begins the relevant question - though the whole clip is worth watching)

"Is it in fact unfair to criticize a formerly great artist for his later day sins; is it better to burn out than to fade away?"
In Lucas's case, the man's impact on pop culture will last longer than most... but he does have the three prequels to answer to. For me, the prequels should have started with Episode 3. No one wanted to see Vader as a kid imo.

"Is it in fact unfair to criticize a formerly great artist for his later day sins; is it better to burn out than to fade away?"

it is a great question. burning out is probably better for your legacy, fading away is probably better if you want to live life. dying young was great for Hendrix's legacy, but not so great for Hendrix himself (for example).

i'm not sure it is unfair to criticize. i do give great kudos to Lucas for starwars and indiana jones. i love those movies (the good ones) with all my heart. they helped define my childhood.

I would have loved to see Vader as a kid, they just addressed it wrong imo. it should have been a tragedy when he fell from grace, the mirror to the moment when he redeems himself in jedi. instead, i felt nothing. i didn't care about that character at all. it would have been interesting if he had some Vader traits earlier, hyper emotional and empathic, incredibly intelligent for his age, things like that. instead of being good at pod racing, all they had to do was show his mind for a moment, perhaps echoes of his mother's worries in his head. the way it was presented, he was kind of the bumbling fool type who just happened to press the right button at the right time.

it is a great question. burning out is probably better for your legacy, fading away is probably better if you want to live life. dying young was great for Hendrix's legacy, but not so great for Hendrix himself (for example).

i'm not sure it is unfair to criticize. i do give great kudos to Lucas for starwars and indiana jones. i love those movies (the good ones) with all my heart. they helped define my childhood.

I would have loved to see Vader as a kid, they just addressed it wrong imo. it should have been a tragedy when he fell from grace, the mirror to the moment when he redeems himself in jedi. instead, i felt nothing. i didn't care about that character at all. it would have been interesting if he had some Vader traits earlier, hyper emotional and empathic, incredibly intelligent for his age, things like that. instead of being good at pod racing, all they had to do was show his mind for a moment, perhaps echoes of his mother's worries in his head. the way it was presented, he was kind of the bumbling fool type who just happened to press the right button at the right time.

:beer::beer:

regarding the prequels...they were terrible imo. and not because of the reasons most people state. i was fine with jar jar, and pod racing, and all the silly childish stuff that people hated (although the darth vader "noooooooo!" at the end of III was just embarrasing). that stuff reminded me of jedi, and i liked jedi.

the problem with the prequels was that the acting and storytelling went to crap. it was not a believable universe. the acting was atrocious. the only person who was remotely decent was obiwan. and the storytelling was so bad: honestly, how do you ruin the mystic of something like "the force"? what a beautiful thing to just leave in the spectator's minds and hearts to figure out for themselves. how do you ruin a wonderfully tortured soul like vader, turn him into a joke, when all he had to do in the first movies is show up and he was frightening, and of course the twist which made him human/a tragic character. turning from good to wholey evil for no real good reason. no actual intrigue into how he came to be evil, simply the ultimate copout really. i'm no writer, but he should have been betrayed by obiwan first and THEN turned. and it should have been a long process to turn, not just "one day i decide to embrace the dark and kill children"

There are nuances in the prequels that I do like, but I don't want to nitpick about what was good and not good in them.

I thought the most interesting character was Qui-Gon Jinn, and it's too bad that we didn't get to see him used more in this setting.

I'm not saying Lucas does not deserve some criticism for what he brought to the screen. My issue is with all the people complaining that Lucas ruined their childhood. That is ridiculous.

The overwhelming majority of Marvel movies have been soulless, shameless assembly line cash grabs. Star Wars is getting the same treatment. Disney sucks.

Edited by FireChan