Big Changes to Defense for 2016

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's start with the easy part - Bills were #19 in yards given up, which is usually the most used stat for defenses and 2015 happened to be Rex's worst outing in his career. Now, if you want to put words in my posts to infer what I meant to write, go ahead.

The bigger issue, though is the ever shifting criticism of Ryan's scheme this year. And that's where your projection comes in. Is your argument that Rex didn't get maximum production out of Kyle because he didn't line him up as NT from the get go or that he couldn't get production from him as a 4-3 DT?

Your answer won't matter because you already concluded that you lack faith in Rex to use players in a way that exploits their unique strengths.

It doesn't matter that Rex recognized that what he was doing early on wasn't working. It doesn't matter that he was limited in how he could change things up because two key players got injured and a big star decided to quit on his team mates. It all about the coach suddenly forgetting how to get the best production out of his players.

So again, other than the outlier 2015, please point me to other cases where Rex's defensive players underperformed their abilities?

GG, I'm sorry, but you're looping.

There are two most used defensive statistics - YPG and PPG. You find them right next to each other on all the football stats sites. Why? Free clue, because points given up determine the W or L.

I made a post where I detailed years when Rex's D was worse than this year by both metrics. Go find it, not hard. Or look it up on any stats site, pro-football-reference makes it easy.

You got a lot of nerve posting to me "your answer won't matter because you've already made up your mind" when you're still prating "outlier year" and asking to be pointed, several posts after facts and figures available on any website were given to you. I think there's someone to whom no discussion will matter because he's already made up his mind, and you'll find him at the nearest mirror.

Sorry if this was already posted. Didn't read the whole thread:

Since we're stuck with Rex for now, it seems to me the only way for him to install his defense, which he seems to want to do, is to get a legit NT. In his scheme the D line is predicated on that. Whether in the draft or FA this is what he needs to do. Other posters have more info than me about what's actually out there. This way Dareus and K.W., if he stays can move to DE. Hughes can then be an OLB in the scheme. Fortunately, he may already have the CBs for his scheme.

KW is listed at 6'1". He is rather squat and getting on in years. I really don't think he would be a good defensive end.

But we really just need him to cover some of the top receivers like Mario did. Based on next year's schedule Amari Cooper, Larry Fitz and Tavon Austin better watch out. If Kyle gets frustrated or tired we can just scapegoat him. At the current scapegoating rate, Rex can have his desired roster in place by 2020 so we can really decide objectively if it works.

My feeling is that Rex had a grand vision of how every player would fit into his "merged" scheme and it just didn't work, they didn't fit as he had hoped. He needs to analyze what players fit and which don't and what parts of his scheme work and which don't, hence doing things different. I think this statement pretty much equals "my bad". He's going all in with his D....it is what it is, we can B word about it all off season, but the true Rex D is coming. Will it be that much different and/or that much better? I hope to hell it is....

whats tough is he was a head coach for a division rival for how long? then had his hands on these guys personally this year, and he still misjudged as poorly as he did?

GG, I'm sorry, but you're looping.

There are two most used defensive statistics - YPG and PPG. You find them right next to each other on all the football stats sites. Why? Free clue, because points given up determine the W or L.

I made a post where I detailed years when Rex's D was worse than this year by both metrics. Go find it, not hard. Or look it up on any stats site, pro-football-reference makes it easy.

You got a lot of nerve posting to me "your answer won't matter because you've already made up your mind" when you're still prating "outlier year" and asking to be pointed, several posts after facts and figures available on any website were given to you. I think there's someone to whom no discussion will matter because he's already made up his mind, and you'll find him at the nearest mirror.

Where are all these links? Bills gave up over 5,700 yards this year which is the worst in Rex's career. I'd like to see how that translates into a YPG stat that you're referring to. As for PPG, I believe Dave mcbride has covered that a lot. Rex had a bunch of turnover prone defenses in NYJ and that hurt the scoring metrics.

So to keep flogging the dead horse in this and the other ridiculous thread, you can continue to lay all blame for the 2015 defense on Rex and believe that the D will not improve in 2016. If only the Saint and Schwartz were here, Bills would still be playing this year.