The State of the Union.............in ObamaLand

B-Man

Obama to claim ´he has brought America back´ in his last State of the Union address

by Alexandra Klausner

Original Article

Out of time to push a new legislative agenda, President Barack Obama will look past Congress and to the American people in his final State of the Union address, aiming to define his presidency and his legacy before others can do it for him.

For his seventh address, Obama plans to skips the traditional list of grand proposals, new policies and presidential appeals for new laws in favor of a broad overview of what he has accomplished since 2009 and what is undone in his final year in office. Aides said the president on Tuesday night will give his assessment of what the country looks like in 2016 and the direction he hopes it will take in the future.

To the dismay of some in his party, Obama doesn't plan to use the address as an opening argument for Democratic candidates in the November election.

(Of course not, that's not about him) :lol:

Perhaps the Address should be moved till April 1st..................

troll_in-chief_12-28-15.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your point?

i did not vote for him in 2012...so I dont have a Pro Obama agenda...but personally my family's economic situation is the best its ever been...he has kept us out of the mess in the ME...The US economy is doing the best in the world....our health care costs still suck...but that will take a bipartison effort which the GOP is not interested in..

I personally get a kick out of the GOP senator quotes...they want BO to work with them....

if the GOP were in charge what would be better right now and how?

Edited by baskin

What is your point?

i did not vote for him in 2012...so I dont have a Pro Obama agenda...but personally my family's economic situation is the best its ever been...he has kept us out of the mess in the ME...The US economy is doing the best in the world....our health care costs still suck...but that will take a bipartison effort which the GOP is not interested in..

I personally get a kick out of the GOP senator quotes...they want BO to work with them....

he did? what mess in the middle east? we've had troops over there since the early 90's.

he is going to stand up there and talk about how great he was and how great we all are doing now that he has been our president. together, obama with the help of brawndo has done a great job at fooling americans. amerikah, !@#$ yeah!

this country is full of idiots who think republicans or democrats actually give two ***** about anyone else outside of their little world.

What is your point?

No need to read past Baskin's (per usual) giveaway line.......................lol

J_Mq7AKo_normal.jpeg The Hill

@thehill

JUST IN: White House says Obama will give a 'non-traditional' State of the Union http://hill.cm/SIJvDg0 pic.twitter.com/JDHxCOTDCY

More from The Hill:

White House officials are pledging that President Obama will deliver a “non-traditional” State of the Union address in January, the last time he will deliver the annual speech as president.
The address will still be given in the Capitol before joint session of Congress. But instead of rattling off a laundry list of proposals for lawmakers to consider, a senior White House official said the president will take a “big picture approach to some of the challenges and opportunities that we face” as a country.

Mkay … so what will that entail, exactly? Tweeters are already guessing:

@samsteinhp will he speak from the golf course ?

@samsteinhp whole thing in iambic pentameter.

@samsteinhp like, with hand puppets ?

ALSO:

Obama's State of the Union Guests: Syrian Refugee, Gay Marriage Plaintiff, Empty Chair for Victims of Gun Violence

The State of The Union Address has become a monarchic affair, complete with theatrical flourishes and glowing celebrity coverage. And this year, President Obama will do something “nontraditional,” he assures us: he will turn the speech into a glorious Cavalcade of Victims™, a celebration of leftists’ treasured, paternalistic misfit toys.

Guests include Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy for his stellar job of being there during the Sandy Hook mass shootings; an empty chair, in honor of gun violence victims, but none in honor of the victims of San Bernardino; Jim Obergefell, the gay man who sued so that the Supreme Court could magically mandate state-approved gay marriage, but nobody from the Klein family, which will be forced to shell out hundreds of thousands of dollars because they wanted to live their religion; and Syrian refugee Refaai Hamo, but certainly not any of the Paris attack victims or Cologne rape victims. She’s also inviting a couple of people who pushed President Obama during his 2008 campaign.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/2481/obamas-state-union-guests-syrian-refugee-gay-ben-shapiro

No need to read past Baskin's (per usual) giveaway line.......................lol

More from The Hill:

Mkay … so what will that entail, exactly? Tweeters are already guessing:

@samsteinhp will he speak from the golf course ?

@samsteinhp whole thing in iambic pentameter.

@samsteinhp like, with hand puppets ?

ALSO:

http://www.dailywire.com/news/2481/obamas-state-union-guests-syrian-refugee-gay-ben-shapiro

I'm guessing it'll break with tradition in being more of a "State of the Obama" address.

I'm also guessing that the press will laud the brilliance and innovation of the statement, and claim it ushers in a new, unprecedented era of government.

I'm guessing it'll break with tradition in being more of a "State of the Obama" address.

I'm also guessing that the press will laud the brilliance and innovation of the statement, and claim it ushers in a new, unprecedented era of government.

Quite true sir, but not an especially difficult prediction.

So ..............bring on the circus.

If Mr. Obama wants to go with the empty seat stunt, the GOP should too.

In fact , with a strong Republican majority, they can have many, many symbolic empty seats :D

GOP, leave all your seats empty for:

- Kate Steinle

- Brian Terry

- The Syrian CHRISTIAN refugees

- Benghazi victims

- Victims of Planned Parenthood

So in conclusion, your economic situation is the best ever, the US economy is the best in the world, and the only reason in 2012 you didn't vote for the guy who did all this is because the GOP wasn't interested in taking part in what is universally considered one of the single worst legislative actions every signed into law?

If that's true, I'd hate to think who you DID vote for.

Edited by LABillzFan

So in conclusion, your economic situation is the best ever, the US economy is the best in the world, and the only reason in 2012 you didn't vote for the guy who did all this is because the GOP wasn't interested in taking part in what is universally considered one of the single worst legislative actions every signed into law?

If that's true, I'd hate to think who you DID vote for.

I voted for gary johnson. I did not vote for BO in 2012 because I thought the ACA was a giveaway to the insurance and pharm industry and while it fixed sometings, did nothing to control costs. I also thought that BO was like clinton - overwhelmed in his first term. i think he has done some positive things in the last 3 years and the American economy has shown that given stability, it will flourish.

I did not vote for Mitt because I thought he sold out to the far right. Shame...because he is a true fixer and we could have used his skill set.

Yes my throwaway is that the GOP has got nothing to offer...which is an actual and debateable point....held by more than me....whereas the throwaway for most here is....Obama sucks...Back to my question before you post more BO sucks links....

If the Gop were in charge what would be different/better/ and why......or do you guys have......nothing?

What is your point?

Gee, I remember Republicans used to build entire campaigns around that question and were vilified for only representing people who were rich, selfish and uncaring about all the people who are "struggling". Welcome to the club!

State of the Union Spectacle Would Appall Thomas Jefferson by Jeff Jacoby

On Tuesday evening, amid much splendor and spectacle, the president of the United States will be welcomed by a joint session of Congress, there to be cheered and applauded like a homecoming conqueror, and, before an audience of lawmakers, diplomats, military officers, and dignitaries, to deliver his State of the Union oration in a live nationwide broadcast.

It is the most preposterous and gaudy ritual in American political life. Thomas Jefferson will be turning in his grave.

Article II, Section 3 of the Constitution obliges the president to periodically "give to the Congress information of the State of the Union" and to "recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient." George Washington and John Adams elected to do so in person, though nothing in the constitutional language requires a speech. But Jefferson detested the "pompous cavalcade" to Capitol Hill, which in his view smacked disturbingly of the British monarch's annual "Speech from the Throne." Very early in his presidency, therefore, he let it be known that his first annual message to Congress, "like all subsequent ones," would be in writing.

And then, alas, came Woodrow Wilson.

Imperious and antirepublican, Wilson had long criticized the separation of powers established by the Constitution. Only the president could truly represent the will of the people, he believed, and it was therefore appropriate that he appear before Congress in person to let legislators know what he expected of them. For more than a century, presidents of every stripe had accepted and honored the principle that the executive, legislative, and judicial branches were separate and co-equal. Presidents didn't intrude on lawmakers' turf, let alone presume to lecture them on his political wish-list. Wilson's reversion to pre-Jeffersonian practice was jolting.

{snip}

The lone saving grace of the modern State of the Union Address is its reputation for tedium. Last year, fewer than 32 million viewers tuned in to the speech, a decline of more than 20 million since President Obama's first State of the Union in 2009, and the lowest ratings since Bill Clinton's final address in 2000. To political junkies, the "pompous cavalcade" may be irresistible. To the vast majority of Americans, it's just a bore.

http://townhall.com/columnists/jeffjacoby/2016/01/10/state-of-the-union-spectacle-would-appall-thomas-jefferson-n2102443/page/full

To Baskin.......No I have no intention of responding to your "what would have happened if the Republicans had been in charge the past seven years" distraction.

The thread is about President Obama's last SOTU address and his promise of an unusual night. If you can't discuss it,

well then start you own "supposition" thread

I am sure that it would be filled with lots of interesting conjectures, theories, and assumptions about how the GOP would have driven the country down

(from the Nirvana we now have)

Edited by B-Man

I wanna talk about me
Wanna talk about I
Wanna talk about number one
Oh my me my
What I think, what I like, what I know, what I want, what I see
I like talking about you you you you, usually, but occasionally
I wanna talk about meeeeee
I wanna talk about me

What is your point?

i did not vote for him in 2012...so I dont have a Pro Obama agenda...but personally my family's economic situation is the best its ever been...

Sounds like you're under-taxed and not paying your fair share.

Obama hopes to stoke optimism in farewell union address http://u.afp.com/ZPeY @AndrewBeatty pic.twitter.com/RExe4qCac6

Most presidents try to start out that way.

He''s going to try to stoke optimism that the country's doing well and headed in the right direction, no doubt to try to give the Democratic candidates a boost in the polls without endorsing any of them. In the meantime, those candidates' campaigns are built on the premise that the country is not doing well and heading in the wrong direction,

This should be tragi-comic.

If Obama had lost the 2008 election:

• No one would be occupying a cabin in Oregon
  • No one would care about Trayvon/Garner
  • BLM would not exist
  • There would be no talk about eliminating Affirmative Action/ Title IX
  • Five terrorists leaders would still be in Guantanamo
  • There would be no refugee crisis, but we would have more troops stationed in the ME.
  • Benghazi/ Paris would not have been attacked.
  • People would be complaining about the national debt hitting $15 trillion soon
  • People would be complaining about their $500 deductable healthcare plan
  • We'll be attributing the low gas prices to the XL pipeline.
  • Farmers would be complaining about the lack of available migrant workers
  • Harvey would not have hosted the Miss Universe pageant.
  • Planned Parenthood would be selling more baby parts at higher prices
  • Used car prices would be more reasonable.
  • Osama bin Laden would be in prison.
  • Iran would be further away from making a nuclear weapon
  • There would be far fewer guns in American households.
  • Cuba would still be closed to tourists
  • Putin would not be as popular, or Russia as influential.
  • Jon Stewart would still be hosting the Daily Show
  • Climatologists would have adjusted their data to indicate higher global temperatures.
  • Gay marriage would still be illegal in some states, along with marijuana.
  • Mcdonald's would not be rolling out a kiosk system this year.
  • Johnny Storm would have been white. (as well as Hermione)
  • The Bills would have made the playoffs.

If the Gop were in charge what would be different/better/ and why......or do you guys have......nothing?

If Gary Johnson were in charge, what would be different/better/and why...or does the guy who didn't vote for Obama in spite of how much better Obama made his life...have noting?