For Everyone Who Wanted Rex Fired...

LAWD!

Are you seeing the names of potential "candidates?"

This might be the shallowest coaching pool yet.

I'm not saying one of the dozens of coordinators getting plucked for interviews won't turn out to be the next great HC, but let's be real.

With Smith fired in TB, it's the fourth consecutive year with seven coaching vaccines in the NFL, but only the second time the Bills aren't mired in the scrum.

Looking at the present supply and demand, I'm sure glad we got our guy.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course you are.

When the best you can say about the HC is "at least he's not one of these guys", you probably should resist the urge to start at thread like this...

You've made a tangential point in order to criticize me. That's your MO. I get it.

Year 2 of system should yield better offense. Won't wait half the season before throwing a ball Sammys way in 16

Let's get healthy on D and win some games. I'm back on the kool aid, that jets game worked wonders.

While I share this perspective, I really don't want the OP to be confused with cheerleading for Rex.

So far, at the surface, this appears to be a bad year to be looking for HC's. Firing ours (regardless who it is/was), given the alternatives, would have been the wrong thing to do.

Guess whose name hasn't been mentioned anywhere (yet): Jim Schwartz.

Will he come back as a DC? Time will tell. But he was foisted as the HC savior that many here wanted and it appears he's either a.) off the market or b.) no longer marketable (at this point).

Edited by The Big Cat

LAWD!

I'm not saying one of the dozens of coordinators getting plucked for interviews won't turn out to be the next great HC, but let's be real.

With Smith fired in TB, it's the fourth consecutive year with seven coaching vaccines in the NFL, but only the second time the Bills aren't mired in the scrum.

On a slight side note, I'm too lazy to look it up, but I know I'm always pizzed when a Bills team loses to an NFL Rookie Head Coached team. It's happened far too much in my view.

Then you failed to understand the original point which was--very clearly--that this is a ****ty year to be looking for a new HC.

Yes, and you are very clearly implying that at least he's not one of these guys. Otherwise, why bring it up?

Also, Rex was part of a pool last year that consisted of a bunch of other retread/fired coaches and the usual cast of marginal guys. This year's candidates include Peyton (until yesterday), Adam Gase, Sean McDermott, Hugh Jackson, Josh McDaniels.

Not the horrible group you are painting them as..

On a slight side note, I'm too lazy to look it up, but I know I'm always pizzed when a Bills team loses to an NFL Rookie Head Coached team. It's happened far too much in my view.

Well they went 3-0 against rookie head coaches in their division this year so you must not be very pizzed.

Yes, and you are very clearly implying that at least he's not one of these guys. Otherwise, why bring it up?

Also, Rex was part of a pool last year that consisted of a bunch of other retread/fired coaches and the usual cast of marginal guys. This year's candidates include Peyton (until yesterday), Adam Gase, Sean McDermott, Hugh Jackson, Josh McDaniels.

Not the horrible group you are painting them as..

You're entitled to your opinion. You had to add a coach who's unavailable to validate that opinion, but you're certainly entitled to it. So, sure. I guess if you can wrangle five names when there's seven vacancies, it's not that bad of a year.

Edited by The Big Cat

I like that every time a coach is fired quickly elsewhere, the general reaction around here is 'wtf, what a **** show over there, why wouldn't they give the coach time??'

And here we don't even want to give a coach 6 games before wanting to fire them.

Emotions are fun.

You're entitled to your opinion. You had to add a coach who's unavailable to validate that opinion, but you're certainly entitled to it. So, sure. I guess if you can wrangle five names when there's seven vacancies, it's not that bad of a year.

OK, so who are all the awful candidates that make the Rex pick last year look so attractive by comparison that we should be happy he wasn't fired?

I like that every time a coach is fired quickly elsewhere, the general reaction around here is 'wtf, what a **** show over there, why wouldn't they give the coach time??'

And here we don't even want to give a coach 6 games before wanting to fire them.

Emotions are fun.

Lovie Smith, Tomesula, Pettine were all very solid fires.

OK, so who are all the awful candidates that make the Rex pick last year look so attractive by comparison that we should be happy he wasn't fired?

Lovie Smith, Tomesula, Pettine were all very solid fires.

Close your eyes.

Now imagine--if you can--a wondrous universe wherein this thread has nothing to do with Rex.

I have never been a fan of the Rex hiring to say the least. But firing a HC after one season, and by proxy most if not all of the coaches under him, is insane.

But the pool of coaches does have some potential talent. Petine for example. Plus some coordinators worth considering. Several, in my opinion, almost certainly better than Ryan.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I still think Hue Jackson is going to be a successful HC.

Rex impressed me with the in-game changes he made after the KC game, and how he got a bit more "serious" as the season ended. He really contained himself with respect to sweeping the Jets and knocking them out of the playoffs. I think he is embarrassed by how the defense performed and will spare no expense to fix it.

The people who believe Rex is a dummy really don't get it. I'm not predicting he will lead the Bills to the promised land, but he's not the idiot some would have you believe. I see evidence of growth as a HC.

LAWD!

I never wanted RR hired.

When you point out that this year's candidates for HCs are mediocre you are not making a ringing endorsement of our current HC who underachieved in his first year in western NY.

I would very much have preferred Hue Jackson over the boisterous Rex.