Megatron to retire? (Update- he is done)

YoloinOhio

While I think he's probably the most amazing physical specimen for a WR, his production doesn't merit the HOF.

Surprised by this considering he was the most dominant receiver in the league for a 5 year stretch. Calvin at his best rivaled any receiver in history.

I'd be curious what you think about the HOF cases for Larry Fitzgerald or Reggie Wayne? Those guys will end up having played more seasons than Calvin, but will never have reached his peak.

I think Calvin is a virtual lock for the HOF considering how good he was from the moment he entered the league to the moment he retired.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say debatable. My initial thought is no. But, he did borderline dominate his generation for about 5 years. It will be a good conversation and some close votes.

This will really hurt Stafford. Probably Tate. And, most likely send Detroit to the bottom of the division for a while.

Swann had -at Best- 5 great years. He should shut his stupid mouth.

• 4 weeks later...

Is Swann saying he doesn't think Megatron deserves to be in the Hall? Or is he wondering if the Selection Committee will elect Megatron when Johnson doesn't have a Super Bowl on his resume?

“Hard to say he's going to be in the Hall of Fame when his team hasn't gotten to a Super Bowl, and they don't get a chance to get into the playoffs. And that's for a lot of guys across the board. If he had broken every passing record, like Danny Fouts, who didn't win the Super Bowl, then yeah, I think there's going to be consideration.”

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25479434/hall-of-fame-wr-lynn-swann-doesnt-think-calvin-johnson-belongs-in-the-hall

A player who was a professional at the end. No look at me posts. No rants. No ranting against league or team. Just written goodbye.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/03/08/calvin-johnson-retires-statement-detroit-lions-megatron

Wish reporters were as professional:

It would be easy to blame the Lions for his early retirement. When I was a columnist at the Detroit Free Press for seven years, I learned to blame the Lions for everything. It’s easy, it’s fun, and it works in a surprising variety of social settings.

Not as much as kicking the press I admit especially those who could not get a job in football anywhere. I respect some writers like Ross Tucker who has experience playing and is professional but not the broadcasters who make a big deal about everything as member of media. They remind me of the CNN "Election News" anchors and reporters which is imposed on me every day at work - they think it is about the messenger not news.

A player who was a professional at the end. No look at me posts. No rants. No ranting against league or team. Just written goodbye.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/03/08/calvin-johnson-retires-statement-detroit-lions-megatron

Wish reporters were as professional:

Not as much as kicking the press I admit especially those who could not get a job in football anywhere. I respect some writers like Ross Tucker who has experience playing and is professional but not the broadcasters who make a big deal about everything as member of media. They remind me of the CNN "Election News" anchors and reporters which is imposed on me every day at work - they think it is about the messenger not news.

Ever watch "Around the Horn?" Being a snarky d-bag seems to be the main qualification required to be a sports columnist.

It's too bad he's retiring as he was so dominant. I understand he has a lot of small injuries, but wonder why he didn't pull a Favre, and skip all of the OTA's, and even part of training camp to completely heal, and give it another roll.

When the Steelers played the Cardinals in the SB 8 years ago, I was a little league NFL coach, so the league coordinator asked me to get some of the best coaches and help out at the NFL experience. It was great, and the NFL mandated for every session, current and past NFL players were out there with us going through drills, and so on with groups of kids. The best was the special needs children as they were so appreciative. My point is my favorite players by far was Calvin Johnson. He and I were working with the Boys and Girls Clubs kids in a couple of sessions. One of the nicest, down to earth guys I met that week. He had the largest hands I've ever seen in my life. They were as big as a baseball mit.

As far as the HOF, there are a lot of players in the Hall who did not play 15 years. He should get in someday. It's just sad guys like Barry Sanders and Megatron didn't get to play on a championship team. Can you imagine Aaron Rodgers throwing to him? selfishly, i wish he would take a year off, get the itch, and because he is free and clear, go sign with a championship caliber team.